View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Charmed One
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-08-2006, 02:18 AM

house/crate training (house training setback, 5 month old started toileting in crate)

HI there i hope some one can shed some lite on my problem,we have a 5 month old bull terrier which we are trying to house/crate train, all was going well till now,she was doing well even clean though the night we had our daily routine and we stook to it standing out in the rain waiting for her her to do her thing and then giving her all the praise, now and again she might wet the bed but we just put her out,we never punished her, we thought we had crack it....................
But all that has gone out the window she is now soiling her crate and lieing in her own dirt, even if we put her out or take her round the block she still comes in and will dity her crate, take tonight i put her in the garden at 11:30 and stayed with her we had a play and she had a poo and wee i give her lots of love then put her to bed, well around 2am she had weed and pooed in her crate and was lay in it, we have tryed all sorts of sprays to tray and stop this i dont understand we have 2 bullmastiffs and we have never had this problem with them, we have a outdoor kennel with run for our bullmastiffs to go out in the day so they are not under our feet and we even tryed putting her in with them thinking she might copy them by coming out of the kennel and doing her thing in the run, but that did not work she just soiled inside the kennel were she was sleeping which was not fair on the other 2, is this a breed thing or would you say its down to the breeder eg: not keeping the liter cleen when she had them as i know she was at work most days or do you think it could be down to food or maybe we should take her to the vets or are we just worrying over nothing because she is still a pup Help
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Not sure I can help, but our pup is pretty good for 14 weeks.

I have found that he picks up an awful lot from our other 3 dogs. On the house-training, he has the odd confusing accidents. I did read that full housebreaking can take up to around 6 months.

Obvious questions are:

Has anything changed recently (ie position of crate, doors less open due to cooler weather)?

I know we've moved downstairs, and our pup is a little confused about it all. Whenever I feed him, or when he wakes up after a long sleep, I watch until he looks like he's going to go (sniffing floor, etc). Then I distract him and we all go outside.

Accidents are not common-place and some are due to me missing his signals (recently he sat by the garden door whinging when I was feeding him, he wasn't eating, so I thought he was just whinging to get to the other dogs - then he peed on the floor and I realised I'd misread his signals and didn't make a fuss).

I have put the crate away as I'd used it mainly to help with housebreaking and when I was working at home I couldn't keep an eye on him. However, he's grown large enough for me to know he can't get to electric cables I was worried about at first.

It does strike me as odd that your dog would soil her bed. have medical/physical issues been ruled out (ie weak bladder/bowels). Also, with the kennel run, was she used to it when she was younger? Or is this more recent?

Am wondering if she is better during other activities, ie playing, being fully 'outside', etc.

I imagine I will have a few problems when it is colder again as doors are more likely to be closed.

Lastly, and I don't have the experience/training really to be sure on this, do you think she is inhibited from going in 'shared' spaces (kennel run) due to dominance of your existing dogs? Or could she be reacting to their dominance and soiling away from them, even if it is her bed. As far as I know dogs tend to go as far as possible away from their beds.

Probably not much help - the experts can put us both on the right path hopefully.
The Charmed One
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-08-2006, 11:42 PM
HI thanks for the reply we did think it could be weak bladder/bowels, but we was thinking is she sent marking as we have other dogs & cats in the house, as with the kennel run,she was used to it from a young age
As for other activities, ie playing/walking she is fine but when away from the home she tends to wait till she gets home,we could be out in the park for 2 hours as she would hold it till she gets home so we know she can hold it
we have quit alot of experience with dogs as we have rescued a few in the past and we have bred a few litters and raised a few puppies but we have never come across a dog which is happy to sleep in its own mess,as this is our first bull terrier we thought it could be a breed trate,we have left a message with our breeder to get back to us and we have booked her in the vets as we fear it might be a kidney disease because if we let her she could drink a bucket of water in one go,we hope a urine test will rule this out, fingers crossed
thanks again.