Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Allyouneedislove
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2018, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
It may or may not be normal, of course there are reports of it happening but that doesn't mean it's acceptable. I have dogs and cats but have no fears about my dogs eating my cat. I'm sorry your dog had bits of your cat in it's mouth but that wouldn't happen in the short time it takes to run to the next room. I'm outta here.
Actually it happened in under 60 seconds. You would be very surprised at how quickly something can happen- until it happens to you so please don’t be so quick to judge. I’m just trying to do what’s right now by the dog and my other pets. I’m looking for advice to avoid another disaster. That’s what I joined this forum for...for other animal lovers to help with solutions- not rudeness and judgement.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2018, 05:20 PM
It may or may not be normal, of course there are reports of it happening but that doesn't mean it's acceptable. I have dogs and cats but have no fears about my dogs eating my cat. I'm sorry your dog had bits of your cat in it's mouth but that wouldn't happen in the short time it takes to run to the next room. I'm outta here.
I'm with you.
I think, based on my experience with multiple cats and dogs on the farm that didn't kill each other, I don't think it's normal. Maybe I was just lucky.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Yeah right you heard some noise, ran into the other room and found your cat in pieces, some of which the dog had in it's mouth. 60 seconds to rip a cat to pieces, it's a dog not a tiger and it would have made a right bloody racket and the dog would be covered in blood. There's been no mention of that, just some noise. My cat makes some noise if I step on his tail, well enough noise to make me jump out of my skin tbh. I don't believe we are hearing he whole story,and the thing about forums is you can't control what others think or write. I wasn't rude just judgemental.
Ptolemy82
New Member!
Male 

03-01-2018, 05:52 PM
I've not seen your dog, family setup, interactions with yourself, others, other animals, etc. To give concrete advice in anything like a detailed way, someone with more experience than you, needs to visit and fully assess your situation.

For this to happen, it is quick, but animals give warnings and you may not have seen these. I would not be surprised by the speed of ESCALATION, but, generally, a dog does not do this after two years of no hint.

"I get her to move from the door whenever I see her doing it" - you should be pre-empting this so that she gets nowhere near the door.

"She is still walking around in prowler position..." - ditto above

As I (and others) have already posted, muzzle and separation in the first instance and get someone in that has experience and can give you a way forward.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Yeah right you heard some noise, ran into the other room and found your cat in pieces, some of which the dog had in it's mouth. 60 seconds to rip a cat to pieces, it's a dog not a tiger and it would have made a right bloody racket and the dog would be covered in blood. There's been no mention of that, just some noise. My cat makes some noise if I step on his tail, well enough noise to make me jump out of my skin tbh. I don't believe we are hearing he whole story,and the thing about forums is you can't control what others think or write. I wasn't rude just judgemental.
See post #6.
Allyouneedislove
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2018, 06:46 PM
Yes, you are judgmental and wrong. The cat made absolutely no noise at all whatsoever. I told my 19 year old daughter to go see what the noise what- thought maybe the dogs were playing on the bed or something. She didn’t listen to me cus she said she didn’t hear anything so I got up to look. I was the same as you 72 hours ago- thought my animals co-existed peacefully. And this! I am shocked and distraught. This was my 10 year old daughters cat and it happens in my 10 year old daughters room with everyone home and no warning signs. My daughter didn’t want to be in the room anymore and left and went to her grandmas and doesn’t want to come home. I am trying to find out if the dog can be trained or trusted again and you’re busy being really rude considering my situation and I was just like you 72 hours ago- so you may not wanna be one to judge because it can happen that quick! And just so you know I am not a novice animal owner. I live deep in the country in Texas. I spend my own personal money spaying and neutering stray animals. I drive with food in my car to feed the strays in the street so your attitude towards me is not warranted. If you don’t have useful advice move along to another post because I have a serious issue on my hands and don’t need this.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Allyouneedislove View Post
Yes, you are judgmental and wrong. The cat made absolutely no noise at all
Despite being devoured??
C'mon....
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2018, 07:18 PM
I haven't been rude at all, I have been judgemental because for whatever reason I don't believe you are giving us the full story.
If your cat made no noise has it occurred to you it may have already been dead?
You're not the same as me but that's irrelevant.
You don't know what happened, You didn't see it. So how are we supposed to say whether it will happen again?
You were all home but no one saw what happened or saw any warning signs.
So you're not a novice owner but you're asking us who weren't there to answer questions that you can't answer. So you're behaving like a novice at best. I'm not being rude, I'm being honest. Ask a professionals opinion but they won't be able to guarantee it will never happen again any more than we can. Living deep in the country is relevant how? Spending your money on neutering stray animals is relevant how? Feeding strays etc etc. means I have to lie and say I think you're giving a completely accurate account of events? I'm free to post an honest reply but if you don't like that you can ignore me or report my post by clicking on the exclamation mark in the triangle at the bottom of the post.
To put it bluntly you could have your dog put to sleep that would ensure it never again gets the opportunity to kill a cat, that still doesn't mean your dog did kill your cat but hey that would be on your conscience not mine.
Allyouneedislove
New Member!
Female 

04-01-2018, 12:22 AM
I said the dog had a piece of the cat- which was some of the cats fur. I never said that the cat was ripped to pieces. Do you want to give some helpful advice if where to go from here or are you just enjoying being rude to someone reaching out for help? Is this enjoyable to you... just wondering?
Allyouneedislove
New Member!
Female 

04-01-2018, 12:28 AM
I’m not a novice dog owner; however, I am unfamiliar with prey instinct and that is what I am asking about. I am trying to educate myself on the behaviors of this dog. I would think that’s a good thing but apparently everyone on here would rather run their mouth. Yes, I came in here just to lie about the circumstances and be unsure. I guarantee my 3 lb chihuahas did not kill a 15 lb cat. I know it was the dog. I walked in at the very end, the dog had fur in its mouth, the cat went and hid under the bed, but died before I could get her to the vet. Trying to educate myself and make the best choices for these animals here forward shouldn’t be something for you to talk so much crap to me over. I’m looking for help and heartbroken so just move on, please.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >