Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Even some of the dogs owned by Michael Vick, who were used for fighting, ended up being really well-mannered, gentle dogs. One was a therapy dog (passed on now I think) and another did agility.
Well, my furry beast was assessed for pets as therapy. And deemed suitable. I didn't follow through with that. They (NHS) wanted to charge me a fee for offering his service, my time, my travel, parking etc Free of charge.
Did not sit well with me.
Dachshundmom89
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
Personally, it may be a cruel thing to say but the sooner the breed dies out the better. Wicked dogs when there are so many more beautiful gentle kind dogs around.

Grudgingly say they are handsome, shame about the temperament.
It's very judgmental to say the least. I've worked at a boarding center over 1 1/2 years now and this breed is by far the most gentle breed to come into our center. The labs, GSDs, and mix breeds are the ones we have many problems with. I never fear this breed (along with the sub breeds) when they show up the first time because their demeanor isn't negative. Plus.. isn't it the rule to judge a dog by the OWNER?
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2017, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Is it that important to you?
Is what "really important" to me?

Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Always interesting to have history of a breed. Border collies have lots of different results gathered by owners.
Do you mean lots of information about their history? I think Embark is supposed to implement more features, but I know currently you can view other public results.

Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
Personally, it may be a cruel thing to say but the sooner the breed dies out the better. Wicked dogs when there are so many more beautiful gentle kind dogs around.

Grudgingly say they are handsome, shame about the temperament.
Not cruel, perhaps trying to be offensive or wind up, but I don't give rise to non sense. Highly doubt they will die out, here they are the dog breed with the highest pure bred and mixed populations.

No dogs, period, regardless of breed or mix are wicked. Humans are ther only wicked species I know of, maybe there could be exception of other higher intelligent species / apes, but I'd need examples.

My dogs are gentle enough for my kids to climb on as babies and for my youngest at 4 years old to show in Jr Handlers, so that's gentle enough for me and my household

She has the temperament I desire, not sure what you feel is a shame about it? Maybe she's a little goofy, but that's just a part of her personality.

I'm sure that's true for many dog owners but it doesn't greatly concern me. Ours came from a rescue centre and was picked up as a stray, so we have no prior history. He has turned out to be a well-mannered, gentle, and faithful fellow. And he has a good home with responsible owners. We gained and he gained.

If I'd have wanted one with a paper trail I would have gone to a breeder.
What's your point? It's great that you rescued your dog and are happy together. I'm very pleased with my doggie that my friend gave me. Of course if ones wants pedigree they go to a breeder, not sure the point of your interjection. No one in this thread stated one should be concerned with anything to do with pure bred dogs or paper trails. I originated this topic about my dogs Embark test results, which probably 90% of the dogs tested are mixed breeds / rescues. It might might not be important or concerning to you, but some people like to learn what their dog is, a few fun facts about them and most importantly if they are at risk for genetic diseases which is in fact possible in a mixed breed dog. My dog is pure bred (as you see 100%) and to test for only the genetic diseases which are found in my dogs breed would cost more than the Embark test. So I've opted to do it... and the curious part of me wanted to see how the COI matched up - not that its important though.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grizzy517.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	5817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grizo517.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	5818  
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-12-2017, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by Bulldogs4Life View Post
What's your point? It's [great that you rescued your dog and are happy together.
My point?
I thought I'd made that clear. No matter.
He is a big, gentle, obedient fellow. Sociable with people and dogs. All around here know him and love him to bits. They descend upon him like a plague when we walk out of our front gate and he laps it up. He is Just Max. Lovely Max.
No lead/leash
No DNA needed.
He is simply a very good boy.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2017, 01:10 PM
My point?
I thought I'd made that clear. No matter.
He is a big, gentle, obedient fellow. Sociable with people and dogs. All around here know him and love him to bits. They descend upon him like a plague when we walk out of our front gate and he laps it up. He is Just Max. Lovely Max.
No lead/leash
No DNA needed.
He is simply a very good boy.
No not clear. I mean I understand not everyone wants or needs a DNA test (that's clear), I wasn't making this post as advertisement or even suggestion to others. So I guess the reason for your statements are unclear. As they seem too be written in reply to posters saying testing is needed or that pure bred/ with history is best. No one here is that type of person, that I've observed. Owners of mixes, unknowns, ect don't need to defend or validate their dog or ownership of said dog. Griz is the same great dog after testing as she was before. I love her the same and nothing has changed in general. One has zero correlation to the other.

I do now know she is clear for over 160 diseases as well as MDR1 which is good to know since reactions can kill, it is a common problem in some breeds, but it's actually been found in many dogs and unfortunately not always via test but rather when a dog dies or has irreversible damage from a reaction.

I did the test on my Griz (and the 1st 2 dogs) for FUN, to see how the pedigree COI matched up to genetic calculation. It's not important or necessary, rather I was curious. I learned some other fun facts and she is also the first American Pit Bull Terrier result they have ever sent out. Which is not important, but rather means they are getting better with markers and identifying clusters for different types / sub breeds. I also allow all my dogs' info for research, just in case, because it could potentially contribute to quality of life / disease prevention for future dogs (and of course info on other traits some want to know about). I think all companion dog owners would like our dogs to live longer, healthier lives.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Even some of the dogs owned by Michael Vick, who were used for fighting, ended up being really well-mannered, gentle dogs. One was a therapy dog (passed on now I think) and another did agility.
No one size fits all.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2