View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 01:14 PM

Our Intelligent Best Friends (X-Breed & N.I)

I think our dogs are far more intelligent than some people give them credit for.
Barney (blonde) has cancer and it was Brodie who alerted us to a tumour, which had grown on his shoulder by beginning to bite it. The vet had previously advised us because of his age 14 it would be best to leave it alone but we couldn’t ignore it after this.
When I was taking Barney back to the vets to have the stitches out he ran down the stairs so fast he cracked a bone in his leg. The vet took an x-ray and discovered the cancer, basically his bones are crumbling and said it’s amazing how quick the cancer spreads to the organs and didn’t give Barney much chance to see the week out.
3 months on and he is still fighting it. We can see the cancer has now started to attack his muscles, as he is getting thinner and restless.
Brodie often rests her head or paw on his leg very gently as you can see and nuzzles him in the shoulder. As some people say it can be a dog that alerts its owner to anything unusual on them or in the house. Bless them.
I cry all the time often when someone else on here has a sad story to tell and can relate to their trauma. But nighttime is the worst when he is next to me with his head on my pillow and we chat and I put our favourite CD on Keane’s Hopes & Fears (we can relate to every song) and I cannot believe one day I will lose him, my best friend.
I’m even crying while typing this.
Had to share this as I feel the end is closer, his restlessness at night is keeping me awake (hence sometimes on here, I am up late and not making much sense as I’m very tired) which must be the cancer. By the way he is not in any pain, I would know if he was and would do what was best for him not me but that day isn’t yet.
Cant believe I have just told a whole load of strangers about my bed time activities. Am laughing now!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear you are going through this, it is very hard when one of our furkids are ill, I know the feeling of dread, my samoyed a few years back got throat cancer, I had the tumor removed for it to return again within a month, his breathing got harder and harder and I had to make the decision to have him PTS it was the first dog that I have had to basically sign theri death sentence, but I know I did the right thing, He was put to sleep, as he rested his head on my lap and was looking into my eyes, I saw love and loyalty and also I feel I saw thanks for helping him across the bridge. give the guy a big hug from me.

Mo
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 01:31 PM
That made me cry mo, they are so trusting of us it breaks your heart. Thanks for the hug Barney loved it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 05:20 PM
So sorry Luz. This is a very hard time for you. He is a beautiful boy and I hope that things go easy for him.

Mo, so sorry to hear that too.

A big HUG for you both.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-08-2005, 05:33 PM
A big hug for Luz and Mo
Great picture Luz your dogs are so sweet
Best wishes
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 05:35 PM
That's so sad, I really feel for you, unfortunatley I have been there with Carne, a 13mnth Border Collie who had an inoperable tumour, I am so sorry. I hope you find strength when the time comes. The photograph is beautiful.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-08-2005, 06:48 PM
So sorry to hear of Barneys trouble my max had cancer and began to get restless during the night,the OH and me did shifts for 2 weeks on the sofa,because he needed the back door open so he could sleep outside where it was cool,March April time so very cold,the night he slept out in the rain and couldnt even be bothered to come in alerted us to how very ill he was and then the vet advised pts.Such a hard decision,my thoughts are with you and Barney,know how sad you are feeling makes me sad still 31/2 yrs on and with new puppy..Best wishes Lynn xx
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi Luz

I am so sorry I know it'll be breaking your heart.

He is a darling boy and he knows how much you love him, it's clear to see. Big hugs, there's nothing that I can say or do to make it easier but please know you've got us to talk to whenever you need it.

x i
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Zantababy (Quote) So sorry to hear of Barneys trouble my max had cancer and began to get restless during the night,the OH and me did shifts for 2 weeks on the sofa,because he needed the back door open so he could sleep outside where it was cool.(End Quote)

Zantababy this is exactly what Barn is doing now, I can see it in his eyes he is feeling it. 'm finding all this so very hard right now as I know by instinct it is coming close to the end. I love him more than life itself and cannot reason with life why he should be taken away right now. So so Sad words cannot describe.
Thankyou to all of you and your support.
Your good wishes I pass onto barney and he loves all the attention.
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 07:52 PM
My thoughts are with you Luz, great bigs hugs to you both. xxxxxx
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »