Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Cadi View Post
Pssting is just his version of the 'Ah-ah!' sound, or the interrupter or whatever you want to call it. He also adds a fingersnap after the first tssting doesn't work. The jab comes when neither of those are working (or when the dog is about to pounce already, past growling and stiffening or whatever.)

At least that's how I interpreted it. :shrug:

Anyone seen the South Park episode where CM 'rehabilitates' Eric Cartman?
the episode with the cat hating GSD he clearly is using the e collar at the same time as the psstt
and plenty of people have commented that he has a 30 min alone with the dog before he does any work - its is possible that he is pairing the noise with something nasty - if you look at how the dogs respond to the psst then try pssting at a dog who has never been pssted at

I have tried it with dogs just to see - like any strange noise they tend to look at you, cock their heads to try and figure out what the noise means - and in most cases come over all waggy tailed to see if it means playtime
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Value my TV too much to watch much of the guy, but what I have seen indicates that the psst and jab are used together (often at the very worst time and often unwarranted as it seems to be for no reason).

I often watch training clips/programmes without sound. Try it and watch the body language of the dogs he works with. Real eye-opener. The dogs are often screaming to be heard, but are ignored. Pity because dogs can often tell you how to work with them effectively if only people would 'listen' to them
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
the episode with the cat hating GSD he clearly is using the e collar at the same time as the psstt
and plenty of people have commented that he has a 30 min alone with the dog before he does any work - its is possible that he is pairing the noise with something nasty - if you look at how the dogs respond to the psst then try pssting at a dog who has never been pssted at
e
exactly, It is a stage-managed edited work of docudrama, not real time training.
The dog has been sensitised to the noise using an aversive.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 04:32 PM
if you look at how the dogs respond to the psst then try pssting at a dog who has never been pssted at

I have tried it with dogs just to see - like any strange noise they tend to look at you, cock their heads to try and figure out what the noise means - and in most cases come over all waggy tailed to see if it means playtime
I've had play bows and stampy feet from Rupe when I've done it. I've also had a bloody nose and split lip where he lunged at me and smashed his head into mine before getting the zoomies. The noise itself isn't aversive to most dogs which tells me he's pairing it with something that IS aversive to get the reactions he does.

Yes, it could be used as an interruptor just like "ah!" is but that's not how he uses it and that's not how the dogs see it judging by their reactions.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-08-2011, 05:25 AM
Pssting is just his version of the 'Ah-ah!' sound, or the interrupter or whatever you want to call it. He also adds a fingersnap after the first tssting doesn't work. The jab comes when neither of those are working (or when the dog is about to pounce already, past growling and stiffening or whatever.)
yes his mother used that sound so that is what he uses. He says you can use any sound that works for you, including the constipated 'ah ah'
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I've had play bows and stampy feet from Rupe when I've done it. I've also had a bloody nose and split lip where he lunged at me and smashed his head into mine before getting the zoomies. The noise itself isn't aversive to most dogs which tells me he's pairing it with something that IS aversive to get the reactions he does.

Yes, it could be used as an interruptor just like "ah!" is but that's not how he uses it and that's not how the dogs see it judging by their reactions
When he does it, it is only to get their attention as you and fuzzy say, but once he has their attention he uses body language and intensity of stare to intimate them in to stopping. It is all about the emotion in your voice and face that tells the dog whether you mean it or not as I am sure you know. But as we have said, this is only a temporary halt in the behaviour, I do not think it trains the dog much.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 06:58 AM
the tssting is first paired with a strong electronic aversion, (that we must not mention)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The dog has been sensitised to the noise using an aversive.
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
the tssting is first paired with a strong electronic aversion,

It`s TV. It`s not real life. You, the viewer are being manipulated into believing a dog `understands` his masterful intentions with its mysterious lupine senses.
And submitting to his Positive Mental Energy.
In the bad old days the trainer would drag the dog round the back for a good kicking. These days the tv trainer does the dirty off camera.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Anyone seen the South Park episode where CM 'rehabilitates' Eric Cartman?
I just watched it now and it is hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpFRJ...eature=related
LauraK
New Member!
Female 

20-07-2017, 01:37 PM
I've not seen that video until now and to be honest, I am shocked. I've read many of his articles before and some of them have been very helpful, but that behavior is not something I would agree with at all.
Page 48 of 49 « First < 38 45 46 47 48 49 >