View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wowmattsays
New Member!
Male 

07-12-2017, 12:50 AM

New shelter adoption, not sure about anything!

Hi all, my fiancé and I just rescued Maebee (pronounced maybe) from a shelter. We have two young cats who are a treat to own, super social and accepting, and so far they are getting along nicely after just an hour or so of interaction. My fiancé and I both had dogs growing up, but this is our first in true adulthood. As Maebee is a rescue, I have some questions.

First, here is what we were told by the shelter staff: she is 8 weeks old, and was spayed yesterday, 12/5. She was born with 4 brothers and 3 sisters, and the mother was brought in to the shelter with the puppies, the litter and momma were all turned in by their owner. The momma is a “has golden in her” and the puppies will most likely reach about 60lbs, and the puppy is listed as a “golden mix”,

She is all yellow/white, as were two of her sisters, and the rest were all black. They tell us she is 8 weeks old, but she old weighs 3lbs, 15oz! I was reading that if she is truly a golden mix, she should be almost 3 times that size at her age? Please see the photos attached, and can anyone possibly tell me what breeds she might be?

Was the shelter telling the truth? Is she the age they said, and is she the breed(s) they indicated? Either way, we know there are potentials for issues with rescues, but that was our reasoning behind our choice, we accept the problems as they may come so we can save a life!

Also, her eyes seem to be “tear-ey”, they are leaking tears somewhat frequently, is this normal? Finally, her respiration’s are around 150-180/min. I have no idea if this is normal, so any input would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks for the help and support, and I’m excited to be part of the forum!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2017, 05:48 AM
Welcome and good luck with your new dog.
Ours came from a rescue centre to.
Turned out to be an absolute gem.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2017, 01:42 PM
There are no photo's attached.
As with any cross breed it depends on the other half of the cross, so judging what weight she should be or will be is a complete guess. She isn't a pedigree dog so could have any breeds in her, dad could be a chihuahua, not likely but you get the point.
Chris Kelly
New Member!
Male 

08-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Dogs coming from shelter can have possibility of being mixed breed. Despite, shelter dogs are so friendly and I love them no matter what! Though, observe for few more months and report to the center about the situation.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2017, 12:26 PM
8 Weeks seems terribly young to be spayed. Hope she will progress ok. Good luck.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Moyra, it's commonplace in American shelters to spey young
As others have said, if her dad was a smaller breed she won't necessarily be Goldie sized...also, just like kids, pups develop at different rates, as long as she is eating and healthy and appears to gain weight i wouldn't worry too much. I had a small pup who my vet was sure was going to be the same size as my long legged staff.....he grew and grew and grew and ended up Doberman sized!!
Pitrescuemama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Its hard to say what all she has in her. The mother is believed to be a golden mix and no idea what father is. Also dogs can pull traits from there gene pool back as far as 7 yrs. So unless you have a purebred with a pedigree to look back on its pretty much a guess!
Good luck with your new puppy!
COBAR5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2017, 03:30 AM
She sounds like a nice pup, could you show photos.

Check her teeth , if she only has milk teeth, thin little ones,
then she would be under 12 weeks.

Maybe ring the shelter ask if the eye problem was before or
after the spey op.