Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-12-2016, 03:54 AM

How intelligent is your dog breed .

I've no doubt this has been asked before but how would you rate your breed when it comes to general intelligence.

Define intelligence as you wish and I'm particularly interested in the views of those who have other breeds by which to compare.

I'd love to hear personal views and opinions to back up your views but if not (0-10 top trump style) where would you place them in the dog world ?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Difficult to define really.
Nippy a Lurcher was the most intelligent dog I have had in, all sorts of ways. It was almost as if she could reason and work things out.
Pepsi, my current JRT, is the thickest! Maybe because she was adopted at an older age. She is too lazy to be clever. She just looks at you with her big soft eyes and gets what she wants that way.
May be that is the cleverest thing of all

Phil, why was this posted in introductions?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Far too intelligent in my opinion
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post

Phil, why was this posted in introductions?
Not sure how I managed that
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Haha, not to worry
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Not sure as a breed SBT do not have a great reputation for intelligence but I think thats because they hide their light under a bushel LOL

I think Staffords are people dogs more than dog dogs if that makes sense however that is a trait that was man made/adapted back in their history.

As a breed they are I believe very adaptable and kind. They like Ia gentle hand and voice., yet a firm foundation in their youth. It is often impossible to tire a young healthy Staff (by the average owner) yet people appear to miss that it is easier to tire their iminds. All of mine have been encouraged as youngsters (and even Cass as a rescue oldie) to hunt for their toys; hide and seek and even in the case of my Sal to dance.....(I know but the girls were young and involved then) she also did flyball and agility and I got her to track as well (my own version) any willing person who volunteered.

So I imagine my aswer is they may not make a chart for intelligence but it often depends on how much is put into them.

Cassie has learnt to open the footstool to get her toys and can identify them by name....9/10 times she also puts them away and shuts the living room door which opens inwards she also opens the summer house door in the summer by pulling the rope on the door and often to be found asleep in the armchair in there.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Regularly cited order:
  1. Border collie. The Border collie is energetic, affectionate, and — of course — smart. ...
  2. Poodle. The poodle is the seventh most popular dog breed and for good reason. ...
  3. German shepherd. ...
  4. Golden retriever. ...
  5. Doberman pinscher. ...
  6. Shetland sheepdog. ...
  7. Labrador retriever. ...
  8. Papillon.

Ours does OK I think.

He understands words but clearly picks up on non-verbal clues.

As an example, when I go to put my walking boots on he just flops down and waits. No stress. Just patience and that's in a fairly young dog.
I can't explain this learned thing. No particular training. He just works it out for himself.

Maybe that's intelligence.
I don't know.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2016, 10:50 PM
I have found a big difference in the intelligence of individual dogs within a breed, some are definitely much brighter than others.
Chloe is certainly the thickest Schnauzer I have ever had
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-12-2016, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I have found a big difference in the intelligence of individual dogs within a breed, some are definitely much brighter than others.
Chloe is certainly the thickest Schnauzer I have ever had
I was thinking that myself. Of my three English Springer Spaniels - all are (or were) very clever but chose to show it in very different ways.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2016, 06:19 AM
From having many types of breeds through our training class the cockerpoo is a very brainy dog. For me my collie is and will even come and alert me if someone is around by standing in front of me when I am occupied staring at me until I say what is it and then he will show me by moving away looking back at me. Most dogs are intelligent and if you look for the signs if you are with them most of the time you will see what I mean.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >