View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Steve, how far out of London are you, are there any decent large unis there?

Thanks
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Luke
i would go backto the Ancestry homelands, Scotland, Cumbria or South Wales, i intend on leaving Coventry one day, its all moving to fast for me and is far to busy and far to full of ignorant people people in fake Burberry caps i intend on moving to a little house in the middle of nowhere where the cats can go out and not worry about if someone is going to burn/shoot/stab them etc and be able to walk the dogs off lead most of the time, and be able to not worry about not locking your doors, oh the pitfalls of living here
Exactly why I left Edinburgh for the Twilight Zone (a.k.a. Orkney, Border Collie Central)! There's no place for Gucci shoes (or fakes therof) here!

If I were to buy a car like a Porsche (O that I could afford one!), local folks would just point at it, and say something that sounds like "anchor"!

Most of the things some townspeople think are great just wouldn't be able to handle Orkney - the weather would knacker them "tout de suite". This is why I advise would-be incomers "if you can't fix it with a hammer, don't buy it!". As to clothes, if they don't keep the rain out, don't wash easily and aren't dogproof, they're a waste of money. Fashion in Orkney revolves round the colour of your boiler suit!

Snorri
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Steve, how far out of London are you, are there any decent large unis there?

Thanks
Im 50 miles from London and in the next town,there is a railway station with direct links straight into Kings Cross.But if you wanna drive,you can either use the A1,M11 or A10 into London.

As for Uni's-im 12 miles away from Cambridge...
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Yeah I've been to Cambridge a few times but not quite the type of people I'm looking for, afterall they've probably already got jobs pegged for them in stockbroking, banking etc....

We're looking to buy a house hopefully detached (could be wishful thinking) with a barn that we could convert into offices, looking to be near a university area so that we can hire uni students.....

This is going to be a challenge!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Yeah I've been to Cambridge a few times but not quite the type of people I'm looking for, afterall they've probably already got jobs pegged for them in stockbroking, banking etc....

We're looking to buy a house hopefully detached (could be wishful thinking) with a barn that we could convert into offices, looking to be near a university area so that we can hire uni students.....

This is going to be a challenge!
Me personally,i wouldnt live in Cambridge-there are plenty of towns and villages surrounding the city.Rent/house prices in the city are pretty high and is more cost effective to live a little further afield.

This is a map of my area and i live in the sleepy town of St-Ives.Cambridge starts in bottom right of picture (Girton).

maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks Steve, will check it out, any places to avoid in your opinion, there's no way we could afford to live in Cambridge so definitely looking for surrounding towns.

Thanks appreciate the help
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks Steve, will check it out, any places to avoid in your opinion, there's no way we could afford to live in Cambridge so definitely looking for surrounding towns.

Thanks appreciate the help

I'll PM you with a list-just incase anyone here lives there so not to offend!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks Steve, just seen the list and replied according, thanks for all your help
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Well I like it here, I am born and bred Cumbrian and appreciate it even more having lived away for 5yrs!

Whitehaven is a small port which has undergone a huge change in the last few years, a great deal of money has been spent on the harbourside and it now looks really pretty. The town itself needs more spent on it but it's getting there! We are lucky to be in such close proximity to the Lake District.

Here is a shot of the harbour
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Ambleside Lake District, without a second thought!
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >