Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JV107
New Member!
Female 

08-08-2018, 09:16 PM

Swimming!

Took my dog, River, and my mom's puppy, Marley, out camping and swimming this week for 4 days! We all loaded up on the pontoon and went out trolling the lake and found a spot to dock. Marley enjoys playing fetch ALOT. I threw a stick out into the water and Marley went right after it. He is a very fast swimmer. My dog on the other hand, does not seem to like swimming very much. I've tried and tries to get him to go in, but he wouldn't. Finally with Marley along he went after the stick in the water just like Marley. Only thing was he was sort of hopping in the water trying to go after the stick. He didn't want his feet coming off the ground. With a couple hours of coaxing he started to swim short distances. His butt would sink and his daddy would try to help show him how to do it properly but he got annoyed. He would start to go after the sticks, but when it got too deep he paddled back where he could touch. Marley would have no care and go as far as he had to to get the stick and bring it to shore. Once he was close enough to shore, River would jump back in and snatch the stick out of Markets mouth lol! He is such a hog. After we held Marley back we there the stick and River went and got it all by himself! He was only swimming for a few minutes, but it is a successful start! Making progress is a great feeling! Smiles all around for this momma!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2018, 08:24 AM
What a lovely story! Reminds me of my old wolf cross Hal, now long gone, who hated swimming to start with. We had a holiday at the Cotswold Water Park in the Cotswolds, where there are several large lakes. I paddled in one up to my waist and tried to get him to follow, but no. However, the moment my hubby threw a stick out and I dived after it he came roaring in and swam manfully out after it trying to beat me to it. After that, there was no stopping him! He swam with me everywhere - the beach of course was his favourite. His son Ben who we have just lost was even more of a water boy - if he saw water, he was in, come hell or high water, summer, winter, it all made no difference to Ben!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2018, 07:22 AM
My younger shepherd loves swimming but my older has decided he doesn't like the feeling of his feet not touching the bottom of the loch. He did swim as a younger dog but I think as he has got older and is less strong and muscled he doesn't feel as safe as he did. I don't push him now.

My husband's collie pup enjoys paddling and splashing around but he isn't confident enough yet to swim. Having older dogs who do swim does seem to help build confidence and I am sure River will get more and more confident if he goes swimming regularly with Marley.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2018, 10:18 AM
My 10 year old Beagle still loves to swim, but Merry, who is a year younger, didn't like it when she arrived, three years ago. She will now go in up to her chest, but is like the kid who always has one foot on the bottom of the baths. There is a sudden panic splashing if the bed of the pond falls away too sharply. It has been great that they were able to have a good splashabout on the way back from their walks during this recent not spell.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2018, 10:50 AM
My dogs hate water!
My friend had a lab and you couldn't keep her out of it . If there was water , she was in it .