View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2016, 03:28 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136279...57665522956944 He was not too young, he was and is the perfect pick of his litter. He eats Blue Buffalo wilderness chicken puppy food mixed with cooked chicken or hamburger, and I wish I had his life, but since I get to care for his life, I consider myself blessed. The first picture in the album was taken under two hours after I took him from his breeder and straight to a game reserve to let him explore his new World.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2016, 04:49 AM
They are lovely photos. What is he wearing round his neck?
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2016, 12:44 AM
I believe you are commenting on his beeper locator and training collar. I have him trained to return to me when I beep the collar, I also hide on him before doing this, which makes him believe that he is lost and begin a search for me. It's a great technique to train a hunting and or search dog, if he does get away I can follow him by the sound. I can also make it vibrate and have him return to me without making a sound of any type, quite stealthy for certain conditions.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2016, 04:50 AM
So is this different to a shock collar? Banned over here thank goodness.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
So is this different to a shock collar? Banned over here thank goodness.
No it is a shock collar as well, however I rarely use it for that purpose. As I said I can recall my dogs either with the beep, which is essentially a whistle, or I can vibrate the shock unit without any shock and they come running back as fast and happy as they can. However if my dogs were to say be chasing a deer onto a road with traffic, I could stop them if need be, or if they were to say again want to play with a bear cub I could bring them back to my side and get away from the cub and mommy both. The thing about my shorthairs is that if I do shock them at low voltage once, they never do it again, whatever it is, which means eventually the collar is not used for that purpose anymore. Not to be rude to other dog owners, but not all breeds are as smart as mine.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2016, 04:47 AM
Know exactly what you mean about breeds. But not a lover of shock collars at all. There are kinder methods of training.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2016, 03:22 PM
The shock collar can certainly be abused, however in the right hands it is a great safety device that can actually protect the dog. I myself have no need for a shock collar that does not vibrate or have the beeper, as the owner of that collar has only one option which is to shock the dog. I agree that this is pretty stupid, a dog should be trained with love, the best way to train a shorthair is to let them run free, do that and they will love you for this and obey everything that you say, because you are all having fun together.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by NickyAnn View Post
The shock collar can certainly be abused, however in the right hands it is a great safety device that can actually protect the dog. I myself have no need for a shock collar that does not vibrate or have the beeper, as the owner of that collar has only one option which is to shock the dog. I agree that this is pretty stupid, a dog should be trained with love, the best way to train a shorthair is to let them run free, do that and they will love you for this and obey everything that you say, because you are all having fun together.
Jeeezzzz a shock collar on a 8 week old pup !!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-05-2016, 03:11 PM
She got him younger than that
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
She got him younger than that
Por boy, what kind of person uses shock collars on a puppy, obviously someone who has no clue how to train a dog.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »