View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Turf it and then forget about it, otherwise, whatever you end up doing there will need hours of work to keep it looking like it and life's just too short

If you do a rockery, they have to be built up at the back, and with earth against the fence, it will rot it, not to mention pushing it over with the sheer weight of the earth/rocks, so I think that's a bad idea Eileen.

What about some really pretty bush/shrub thing that will give you colour and smell and hide a corner like that, or a big pot with something big and colourful in it, chuck a bit of expensive type gravel around the pot and those little edging bricks in a half moon curve around it?

Hark at me getting all arty flowery when gardening's not really my thaing, I can only really do de-heading with a little bit of help from Google, to stop me decapitating the wrong heads

If you go for a big shrub, then you need something that spreads out more than up, it'd look nice in that corner. I have a lovely, feathery acer which would do just the job there.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2014, 03:54 PM
i would flatten it and re turf the whole lot .
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 04:01 PM
I would stick a raised bed on it and grow veggies.... I do love my vegetable beds!!!!!!!!

You could have a lovely big bed, or 2 with a paved path down the middle, easy access, loads and loads of fresh veggies all summer!!! and then cover 1 with a cloche and grow through the autumn and spring too!!

Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Lightweights the pair of ya!!
HELENA,problem with my garden is its full and I mean full of rock In this area I'm trying to do,there are two tree stumps from trees I planted and they died So I would have to build my rockery like a raised bed if you know what I mean not sure I fancy a rockery though,way to normal
I do like your pot and scrub idea with the decorative area around it...
Thinking of some sort of centre piece,like a sculpture of some kind.Or maybe raise deck it,or. gazebo would be lovely
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Like your thinking DD
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Oooooh DD, now you've given me an idea here for my top level which is currently slate. I could do a raised bed on one side cos there's a path behind the wall before it goes up on the level, so I wouldn't have to bend down too far to weed it, and I do love fresh veggies, especially spring cabbage and runner beans and the likes. Yours look ideal there and well thought out with the paths inbetween.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 04:14 PM
If you'd have to build a rockery right up, then that only reiterates what I said about that poor fence there Eileen It's a no-no to the rockery then!

You can always have a tree in a pot, a very big pot I have to say.....what about a nice ornamental weeping willow tree or a Japanese cherry tree which has all the branches coming down to the ground. I'll find a pic of the one I had at the old house, it was a lovely tree and it never went up, it just grew thicker, very pretty tree but all the mozzies used to sleep in it overnight I once hit it with my shoulder as I walked past and thousands of mozzies flew out of it Another nice tree which you could grow in a humungous pot is the gleditsia, take a look, it's got lime green or yellow feathery leaves, and doesn't grow very much. I bought one online last year and it's still only 4ft tall, but at least it's still alive.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 05:52 PM

This would fit very well!

Stolen from; http://www.designaweb.biz/sunshine/Comercial.html
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Wow,how cool is that?
tawneywolf