register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Apache is offline  
Location: Cheshire, UK
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 531
Male 
 
02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Rabbits are just too numerous and are considered vermin. And by nature programmed to be chased, killed and eaten by predators. So no fluffy feelings here.
The world population of rabbits is estimated to be 709 million.

The world population of human beings is 7 billion and rising.

So by your own example we are far too numerous and most of the worlds creatures would consider us to be vermin. We are also programmed to run if chased, and could easily be eaten by almost any predator
Reply With Quote
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
FluffHippo is offline  
Location: Sawbridgeworth, UK
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 237
Female 
 
02-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
My dogs eat rabbits that had been caught with the use of (I am pressuming here) ferrets and dogs. I pay dearly for these rabbits. So I would be glad if my dogs would, for once, not cost me money. Rabbits are just too numerous and are considered vermin. And by nature programmed to be chased, killed and eaten by predators. So no fluffy feelings here.
Woo hoo we agree on something muddy

Nobody has feelings for the cows that are put on our plates, unless your a vegetarian. So what's the difference between us killing cows for food or our dogs killing a rabbit for food. If the dog didn't eat the rabbit then it would be a waste.
Btw if I was about to be eaten by a bear, yeah I'd be cheesed off but I'd hope I gave him belly ache
Reply With Quote
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,716
Female 
 
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Maiseymoo View Post
The main difference being that this grizzly who is doing what nature intended and having you for lunch would then be hunted down and murdered for doing so.

Typical double standards as usual. That's not aimed at you Gnasher but humans in general

Not by me he wouldn't - I would be dead!! Seriously, were I to survive such an horrendous attack, I would bear the grizzly no grudge - no pun intended (bear a grudge ... bear!! ).

I hate these double standars too - I hate the fact that humans needs and wants come above those of are fellow animals.
Reply With Quote
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,716
Female 
 
02-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
"if the fragility of civilisation were removed" - That's just the point Gnasher, it hasn't been removed. You CHOOSE to let your dogs hunt rabbits because you place no value upon a rabbits life, as you say, there are lots of them around so why worry.

I am glad you thought my example of being chased by a Grizzly was terrifying, because it is. And yes they do eat meat, in fact every year many hikers are killed by them and often they are partially eaten while still alive.

Have you ever been out in the wilderness with dangerous creatures around, .. big cats, bears, alligators, etc? I can tell you it raises your awareness of human vulnerability and how ill equipped we are to fend off any predator. Hence, i do indeed side with the gentle little rabbit because i can imagine how terrifying it must be to be chased by an enormous fanged animal.

In summary, no personification applies here, just the empirical knowledge, the sheer blind terror, of being chased by something very deadly.
Live and let live i say.
Yup, I do choose to allow my dogs to chase and if they can, to catch and kill bunnies.

I thought grizzlies were meat eaters - good for them, bad luck on the hikers. The grizzlies are only following their natural instincts - wrong place and wrong time for the hikers, and certainly no reason for a posse of human idiots to go and hunt down the grizzly.

Yes, I have known true fear with animals - not seriously scarey animals like grizzles, lions tigers, crocs etc., but as a child I was nearly killed by a herd of bullocks, and have had several very scarey moments with various other domesticated animals such that I have been on the point of death, so I understand what you are saying.

I still defend the right of any predator though to hunt and kill for food - and I include myself in that. To kill for sport, for pleasure, no, that is wrong.
Reply With Quote
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,716
Female 
 
02-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by FluffHippo View Post
Woo hoo we agree on something muddy

Nobody has feelings for the cows that are put on our plates, unless your a vegetarian. So what's the difference between us killing cows for food or our dogs killing a rabbit for food. If the dog didn't eat the rabbit then it would be a waste.
Btw if I was about to be eaten by a bear, yeah I'd be cheesed off but I'd hope I gave him belly ache
With all my fat I would give him gall bladder problems!!
Reply With Quote
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,716
Female 
 
02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The world population of rabbits is estimated to be 709 million.

The world population of human beings is 7 billion and rising.

So by your own example we are far too numerous and most of the worlds creatures would consider us to be vermin. We are also programmed to run if chased, and could easily be eaten by almost any predator
Scarey innit. I think its more like 8 billion now.

We are far too numerous, and as you rightly point out, most of us would be totally incapable of defending ourselves against almost any predator.

But this fact does not change my dogs from hunting predators into fluffy doggies who would not eat a fly!
Reply With Quote
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
FluffHippo is offline  
Location: Sawbridgeworth, UK
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 237
Female 
 
02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
With all my fat I would give him gall bladder problems!!
You know what it is with us? It's the saying come true....owners take after their dogs
Just a shame our fat isn't two fur coats and when we get wet we look super skinny
Reply With Quote
Maiseymoo
Dogsey Junior
Maiseymoo is offline  
Location: Cleveland, Uk
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 99
Female 
 
02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Not by me he wouldn't - I would be dead!! Seriously, were I to survive such an horrendous attack, I would bear the grizzly no grudge - no pun intended (bear a grudge ... bear!! ).

I hate these double standars too - I hate the fact that humans needs and wants come above those of are fellow animals.
I didn't mean by you but the Rangers would soon be out after him/her.
Reply With Quote
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,716
Female 
 
02-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by FluffHippo View Post
You know what it is with us? It's the saying come true....owners take after their dogs
Just a shame our fat isn't two fur coats and when we get wet we look super skinny
I am SO envious of the boys when that happens!! Tai is positively anorexic when wet!!
Reply With Quote
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,716
Female 
 
02-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Maiseymoo View Post
I didn't mean by you but the Rangers would soon be out after him/her.

I know - it is quite ridiculous!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My bf's rabbit and new baby rabbit random Other Pets & Animals 7 24-02-2010 09:16 PM
Rabbit dilemma.....looking after a friends rabbit. Advice needed. Fudgeley Other Pets & Animals 19 08-08-2007 09:58 AM
Photo The Rabbit Gets It !!! (OTB & Cuddly Toy Rabbit) Mick_B General Dog Chat 7 03-10-2005 05:34 PM

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top