View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2013, 04:33 PM
You gotta love these people who just wander round looking at houses to buy and who haven't even looked into whether they are eligible for a mortgage or found out how much they can borrow. Prospective buyers should be vetted and pruned out better before they are allowed to view houses.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2013, 04:50 PM
It's getting much better for that now Pat, as we weren't allowed to have details or view any properties, until the agent had prior knowledge from our own agent that our house was on the market/had an offer/or was sold, which is a good thing, because it said goodbye to those people who just wanted something to do on a saturday afternoon.

They're very, very strict on it now. Dave wasn't allowed to view any of the flats he's interested in until he started getting the mortgage ok's through initially, but that was with the same agent as the flats he saw, whereas, other agents won't let him view anything until they know he's got his mortgage.

It's all a good thing I think, it's getting rid of all those timewasters
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2013, 04:56 PM
That's good news Helena. Many years ago I used to say it was the case that you could stay in someone's house to petsit and 'put it on the market' lol! All you had to do was phone an Estate Agent and they'd be round with a board for the front yard that same day!

Not saying you could have followed it thro' to completion but I had my share of timewasters and. well, crooks, that's why I changed my tactics when I did.

During the boom years for property EAs couldn't give a fig about 'marketing yours' they had more than they knew what to do with. That's why I always went multi agency and paid the extra - when it's first past the post gets the money - they pull their finger out.

I know of EAs who will send their mates and relatives round to look at your house - just to make you think they are really getting on with trying to sell it. Bogus viewers are easy to spot.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Lol at the petsitters one! We've sold more times than I care to remember, and it used to be a nightmare, I once had a woman who came round measuring up for curtains, I felt sure she was going ahead, until I got a call from my solicitors one day that he hadn't even heard from hers yet!!!

We had a very dodgy deal too with our guest house, the guy who was buying it, was a scrap metal merchant (you know the kind!) and it would be a cash deal, he was going to turn it into a flatlet house it was so big. You could never pin him down, but true to his word, he did buy it for cash but held some back (as they do those types!!!) but we went ahead with a promisery note for the remainder cos we were eager not to lose our purchase. I then had his missus on the phone to me refusing to pay the promisery note because of blah, blah, blah, which of course, was all complete nonsense, so I decided to deal with him and got my money, again in cash and lots of it! I think she's still hunting me down to this very day!!!

One house we bought, the bloke didn't like me, his wife had left him and he didn't want to sell the house, and when he left, he took ALL the fixtures and fittings, he bashed down the fitted wardrobes in the bedrooms he took all the lights down and left us with hanging wires and the entire kitchen was out!!!! That was back in 1981 though, and when I spoke to the solicitor it was a case of "buyer beware" even though he should not of course, have removed fixtures and fittings, so this new 24 pages document with all the tick boxes is a must really, some of it is stupid, but it does protect us. Their main concern is "radon gas" would you believe, there are pages and pages of environmental gumph it's very important whether or not you have radon gas in your house/garden, whatever that is lol!

No, feet first next time thanks!
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Yeah, it's pretty pointless going to view a house when you don't even know if you can get a mortgage!
No one is let through by our EA unless they can actually pay for the house IF they are interested, thankfully.

Thankfully we are quite tidy so it doesn't really matter if they call and ask if someone can view it "tomorrow".

The boyfriend used to be a bit hysterical when people first started coming over, he is very house proud. He even apologized to some people because I left my trainers in the bath! He's calmed down now though .
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Clean and tidy is good, it really does make a huuuuge difference to a buyer when they see clean and tidy, but I spent a year doing the clean and tidy bit with 2 big muddy dogs, so now I can relax and just do it when I feel like it, which isn't very often!!

It's a strange thing, but it's always the ones you think weren't interested that end up putting in that offer! The ones you think ARE loving it, you never hear from them again!

Ask your agent for some feedback, as they keep a book of all visitations or is that viewings?? It's interesting to hear what people said, I couldn't wait to hear my feedback, which was usually about the pub over the road!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Feedback we always got on the old house was the drive as we were set down and the drive was fairly steep. Strange thing was that it did show on the picture on the brochure so heaven knows why they booked a viewing if they didn't want a steep drive <sigh>

I turned into a nervous wreck keeping the place tidy. I'm not a tidy person, clean yes, tidy no - by nature so it was a massive strain.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Helena - I know where you are coming from with those tales!

As for clean and tidy. When I sold my house in Berks, I put the wardrobe from my youngest son's bedroom in the garage along with a lot of other stuff to make the house 'look bigger'.

THREE WEEKS later he said to me 'Mum - where's my wardrobe gone?' The ****** never used it anyway!
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2013, 06:48 PM
The feedback we have got the most of (and can't do anything about!) is that the second bedroom is too small and some other people didn't like the area; which I COMPLETELY agree with .

I've given up having the floor paw print free, but it's definitely clean here . Normally try to keep it so that if anyone unexpectedly shows up we won't be embarassed by a filthy house (but everything within reason - I'll never clean every day or manically dust!).

And what is it with people that come to view and showing up early?? I find it both rude and annoying! Lots of people have showed up 30-40 minutes early.

Tangutica: of course! You don't know what you've got until it's gone, right! Haha .
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Lucky you going home to Norway, i have family there in Notteroy. My fathers cousin is quite well known there, Per Borthen he is a jazz trumpeter in his band Per Borthen Swing Department. I am English but my great aunt married Harry Borthen the shipping line owner back in the 40's, Per is their son.

Never had the pleasure of visiting unfortunately but i will some time, would love to do a fijord cruise or something

Good luck with the house sale !
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >