View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-01-2006, 12:58 PM

Age of dog ownership? Should there be a minimum age for ownership/control of a dog?

A few days ago in the evening i went out 2my dogs kennel where i had put him out 2feed 2find about 6 teenage kids (15-18yr olds) had jumped over my fence with this HUGE bear size rotti x staff dog he was about 25inches at shoulder and about 140lbs and they were teasing simba luckly he was inside the kennel and couldnt get out when i got out they all look at me and the 1with the dog stepped foward and said "we wanted 2see if our dog is tough" o man that really ticked me of and i told them 2leave(not in those words of course lol) and they did i saw the same kids yesterday in a park with the dog trying 2make him fight some poor little Lab! does any1 else here agree that there should be an age limit on dog ownership? that people under the age of 16 or what ever should not be allowed 2walk dogs in public? i know that not all kids are like this but the 1s that are really are messing it up for every1 else!
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 01:04 PM
i agree with you there should be an age limit to having a pet , to encourage them to fight is very sad , there like children there a long term responsibility , hope they didn spook your little one to much
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ella's Mum
i agree with you there should be an age limit to having a pet , to encourage them to fight is very sad , there like children there a long term responsibility , hope they didn spook your little one to much
that is why i was very glad that simba couldnt get out the kennel had he got out and something had happened 2theyre dog im sure only mines would have been blamed simple fact being he is of that breed which there are out 2kill off! i think staff,ebt etc have all been given such a bad name due to people like this
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 01:15 PM
i think there should be a minimum age limit for owning a dog,i would also be putting a phone call into my dog warden and the police saying what had happened and a description of the people.next time somebody may end up having their dog killed.how very sad that idiots seem to get off on making dogs fight glad your dog was in his kennel and came to no harm
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 01:18 PM
i feel sorry for the idiots dog aswell, i bet it has a right life with them
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2006, 01:19 PM
I do believe there is already an age limit to legally owning a dog, but i think as for being responsible with dogs depends on the individual I myself am under 16, and basically take sole care of my two myself i.e walks etc. Never would i let them bother any passers by whether they be dog or human, and the same goes for where we walk when its in the summer time and theres livestock in the fields on the other side of the river. It all comes down too how responsible the person is, not the age of that person.
For example, a friend of mine who is 14 and I were walking the dogs (my 2and her 2 border terrorists) the other day and had decided too take a walk up too Combe Abbey country park as my house isnt too far away from there (some people of the Midlands may know what im talking about) anyways when we arrived our 4 were off the lead bu not too far away and were playing quite happily with the tennis balls and stuff, but when we reached the big lake thing where there are a lot of birds, we put the dogs back on leads, naturally. And we walked past and went and sat on the steps of the big boarding house thingy that resides in Coombe Abbey country park, anyways we were having a chat and the dogs were having a drink from their port-e-bowls, when this man (say late thirties) walked past with two mixed breed type dogs (black lab/collie looking things) and they were not on a lead and bolted straight for the lake thing and was harrasing all the swans and ducks and things, and he walked on and they didnt follow him for some considerable time after. So this is a prime example why it is down to the type of owner the dog has, not the age of the owner I know plenty of responsible younger dog owners, but then again i know of a fair few irresponsible ones too; but as i said the type of person is what it is really
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2006, 01:26 PM
I think there already is a minimal age for purchasing a dog which im sure is 17 (someone correct me if im wrong),but whether this could be extended to walkies and be enforced is another thing.A town like where i live has (allegidly,but never seen!) one dog warden and to enforce a law would involve hiring several more people to cover the entire area which in turn-results in higher council taxes.Bringing back dog licences,but this time with the dog wearing an ID tag for easier recognition could help subsidise costs.

The people who you met are thankfully in a minority and shouldnt really be owning a goldfish-let alone a dog!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Good point luke,I know plenty of responsible dog owners but i also know plenty of irresposible ones too,I think you could set an age limit but if these kids etc are that way inclined they won't take any notice anyway,just another rule to be broken.
I think also that it is a macho thing,my dogs hard it will fight anything,give some of these sad people a kick.
We had a man ring us once when we had a litter saying he wanted a puppy bitch cos there harder than dogs and could fight better,i politly told him to get a life,and he was not the responsible owner i wanted for my pup.
Sal
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 02:09 PM
you should have called police thats trespass!!!!!

give em a smack next time!

and yes its the idiots that spoil it for the majority....kids shouldnt be allowed to walk dogs by themselves not only for this reason but what if a dog attacks theirs , would they be able to handle themselves and the dog and the entire situation.?

Alex
xx
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 02:37 PM
i would film them in the act...follow them home then ring the police
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »