Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Anyone thought of moving to Spain for that countryside retreat they've always dreamt of?
Azz the one thing I would advise you is never ever confuse the 'holiday' experience with living 'full time' abroad, believe me I speak from experience.

Having said that, if you really want value for money look at some of Eastern Europe where a six acre farm with huge barns and out buildings will cost you under £50K unfortunately you'll need to learn the language as no one speaks English outside of the capitals.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Another alternative if you want a bit of land is to buy woodland in south wales. Its the cheapest place in the UK and for £30k you can get a few acres. I don't know where you live but just go 20 miles north of Swansea and you will find something. You won't make a profit on it but it is relatively low maintenance and a great place to walk your dog. Wales is one of my very favourite places and still relatively undervalued.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the replies all!

I didn't know about the re-entry thing tbh, I only want to go for a year or two - just so I get plenty of sunshine (I'm vit D deficient - but cos I miss the warm weather too).

Wonder how much health insurance costs there?

Those of you who have family over there - please tell me more

Losos - I've thought of eastern block - and while I love some of those countries I only want to move somewhere warmer than the UK

Wolfdogowner - woodlands sound nice, but I'd want the house on the property itself tbh.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I wold move to Spain yesterday if I could!! My in laws have 3 places there & rent 2 of them out for holidays & keep one for themselves, so we spend a lot of time there - well we did until we got Tilly! Now I can't bear to leave her so have only been on my own twice in the last year for a few days.
We were going to move there 10 years ago but thought we would wait until the kids finish their education here & we are still waiting!! I used to spend the 6 week summer hol there with the kids & hub would commute at weekends - I just love it - so "manana" laid back & everything can wait until tommorrow!
I thought that health wise you were covered by the European health card (used to be the E111) I've had many trips to GP's & hospitals whilst there using this. But I guess it's best to have insurance in case you need to be flown back. I think you have to spend around 3 months a year in the UK to still get your UK pension. My inlaws spend around 6 months there & 6 months here, in our summer (if that's what you can call it!!)
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-02-2010, 02:15 PM
A few myths flying round here. I have never heard of any UK citizen being refused re-entry. The European health card only covers you as a visitor and not as a resident (someone that stays for more than 6 months of the year). You cease to be a UK resident if you spend more than 6 months abroad.

You can keep your UK state pension contributions topped up by paying 'voluntary contributions'. Health insurance requirements differ depending on the country, full health insurance is very expensive.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-02-2010, 02:20 PM
I only want to move somewhere warmer than the UK
I don't blame you! My perfect place would probably be Sintra not far from Lisbon in Portugal- but unfortunately its shockingly expensive.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 02:47 PM
My in-laws are in the Pedreguer part, Costa Blanca. They have a villa in an urbanisation, so lots of English people, ex pats. They were retired when they moved there so health and pensions are not a problem. They love it there and have no plans to return to the UK. They spend vast amounts of time outside because of the weather, although they do get occasions of torrential rain - a 'Gota Fria'.

There was a lot of building still going on but times have not been as good as they were so some developments are unfinished and apparently there are lots of cranes around. There seem to be quite a few villas for rent standing empty too at the moment. You have to be careful too not to end up with a place that can be taken from you, where the building of it has been judged as having been illegal.

I just remembered, Steve went out there this time last year and they had wonderful spring weather, with cherry blossom even past its best in places. They said there are lots of dogs around there and were telling me about a very hairy malamute. They sent pictures and they were all just wearing stuff like sweatshirts.

On 10 March 2008, they had a temperature of 71 degrees F and sunny. Ours was around 49 degrees F and windy. I know this because they wrote and told me!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 03:36 PM
(I'm vit D deficient - but cos I miss the warm weather too).
Oily fish are a source of vitamin D, Azz, and cod liver oil. Do you take a supplement? Vitamin D is really important for a healthy immune system and in guarding against nasties like flu.
x

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...mins/vitaminD/
http://www.naturalnews.com/027231_Vi..._vaccines.html
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks again all! I sure do like the idea of moving somewhere warm for a couple of years

I emailed one of the agents earlier and they said (for this particular house anyway) that you can get broadband to 3MB, soon to 5. That's slow compared with what I'm used to - but I'm sure I'd make do for a year or two

In this weather I just dream about moving abroad tho would want to be near a touristy area so when I feel a little homesick I can go out and be in brit company... tho with all the larger louts it'll prob make me glad I moved

What's the situation with moving for more than 6 months then? And how does it effect NI payements/tax etc?

LS - Yeah I take vit D supplements - since I've been taking it I haven't had a cold or flu *touches wood!*
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Guessing you are self employed; if you do not work abroad and only come to UK to work then you continue to pay your class 2 contributions. Your Uk earnings are taxable in the UK. If you choose to work in Spain you are no longer eligible for class 2 but can pay voluntary contributions to keep your state pension up to date. If you work via the internet then this would be classed as working in Spain. If you are moving abroad for a specific time to work (fixed contract etc) then your UK liabilities may not be affected. You need to contact Newcastle (charity, assets and residency) to be sure what would apply in your case. My one piece of advice would be to be absolutely sure of what you want to do and be 100% sure of your liabilities well in advance.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >