Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2010, 12:20 PM

Guinea Pig Not getting any better

Oliver has got mange and has twice been to the vet 10 days apart for injection of inver? he is still very red and sore and scaby all across the back of his neck, he is very unhappy boy and wont let us touch him, the vet has given us some cream to help him but he just wont let us even try and pick him up, he has to go back on Friday for another dose of the inver stuff, i just wanted to ask if he would get better if anyone has been through this as i just dont know what else i can do to help him.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Oliver has got mange and has twice been to the vet 10 days apart for injection of inver? he is still very red and sore and scaby all across the back of his neck, he is very unhappy boy and wont let us touch him, the vet has given us some cream to help him but he just wont let us even try and pick him up, he has to go back on Friday for another dose of the inver stuff, i just wanted to ask if he would get better if anyone has been through this as i just dont know what else i can do to help him.
Did the vet do a skin scrape, sorry I can't remember? Is it just in that one area now? I do remember it took a little while for it to clear up when mine had it but I don't recall exactly how long. Only other thought is one of my cats reacts to injections in the back of her neck like that. Is there a shampoo that could help him?
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Did the vet do a skin scrape, sorry I can't remember? Is it just in that one area now? I do remember it took a little while for it to clear up when mine had it but I don't recall exactly how long. Only other thought is one of my cats reacts to injections in the back of her neck like that. Is there a shampoo that could help him?
No the vet didnt do a skin scrape, and was advised also not to bathe him or handle him as he might bite until he is better. Its all across the back of his neck, its seems to improve after a few days but then he starts biting again.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2010, 02:31 PM
No the vet didnt do a skin scrape, and was advised also not to bathe him or handle him as he might bite until he is better. Its all across the back of his neck, its seems to improve after a few days but then he starts biting again.
I guess there is always the chance that it is not mites. I think fungal infections can appear similar. Did the vet give you an idea of how long it may take to clear up?
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2010, 02:38 PM
I guess there is always the chance that it is not mites. I think fungal infections can appear similar. Did the vet give you an idea of how long it may take to clear up?
Well im beginning to wonder because Lucas our other guinea pig is showing no sign of this problem, vet just said its a matter of coming back for more injections until it clears up, but we went 10 days from first till second and this time going back after 7 days.
flynnstone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Contact the Cambridge Cavy Trust and speak to Vedra, she will be able to give you excellent advice.

Hope your piggy gets better soon
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2010, 09:55 PM
How did Oliver get on at the vets on Friday??
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Get your vet to do a skin scrap hun, asap.
Also you can access advice on the internet just type what he has and you will find advice on there.

Mine had this and the vet gave the same injection, with the same response that your getting, I accessed a site that told you of a shampoo and I bought it (same stuff as injections) and it cleared up after bathing him twice/ 4 day intervals....touch wood he never got it again. I know they say do not bathe them, but things with mine got to desperate measures as he was so uncomfortable, I kept him indoors during the proceedure.

Hope you get it sorted as the stress of mange drags them down rapidly.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2010, 12:51 PM
How did Oliver get on at the vets on Friday??
Hi thanks for asking, well it was a bit of a surprise really, the vet we saw was a lovely young lady and she just picked him up and put him in her arms and rubbed some cream in his sores, Oliver was making a protest lots of noise but she said its not hurting him he just protesting cause he doesnt want it doing.

The week before we saw a different vet, he was a big man and he put a big leather glove on and said oliver was the wildest piggy he had ever seen and he gave him injection.

So anyway the lady vet told us to keep putting the cream on which we have and he seems to be improving, so much for the big man vet he was a wimp.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Get your vet to do a skin scrap hun, asap.
Also you can access advice on the internet just type what he has and you will find advice on there.

Mine had this and the vet gave the same injection, with the same response that your getting, I accessed a site that told you of a shampoo and I bought it (same stuff as injections) and it cleared up after bathing him twice/ 4 day intervals....touch wood he never got it again. I know they say do not bathe them, but things with mine got to desperate measures as he was so uncomfortable, I kept him indoors during the proceedure.

Hope you get it sorted as the stress of mange drags them down rapidly.

Hi , thanks for advice, we got some cream to bathe him with although he doesnt like it, but it seems to be healing better so fingers crossed he will continue to improve, also the vet gave us some drops to put on Lucas the other piggy just as a precaution incase there was any mites it would kill them off.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >