Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Where have you seen adverts for them ? I have seen ads for Pits however they usually turn out not to be Pits at all though the police in Tyneside did do an investigation on an alledged Pit breeder recently. Haven`t heard any more on that one as to whether there was a prosecution or not or if the dogs really were Pits.
I do recall seeing on the national news when someone tried to import a Tosa. The airport authorities held the dog while the case was investigated and the dog was returned to source and was kept at the airport kennels until the return flight was arranged.
Animal workers at the airports and docks which allow animal transit are trained in these things because of the regulations, plus vets attending might notice certain breeds and would raise a flag about them, plus paperwork on pet passports and quarantine would pick up on illegal imports unless all the vets doing the paperwork abroad are being paid off to lie about the animals they are blood testing and chipping etc.
Of course, if you know for definate that there are illegal imports and litters around, presumably you are doing something about them as well as ear croppers...?
If you believe they are being smuggled in to avoid the authorities then you have an absolute duty to do something about it unless you want to see the possibility of rabies in this country ?
i have seen them advertised on ad mart and other web sites also news papers
its not hard to import dogs in banned or not banned
a puppy tosa at 12 weeks or older can be imported as a mastiff
and pitts and staffys or amirican bull dogs
when they are young its very hard to say what there breed is
you could import i wolf as i alsation x
so it not very diffacult a
as to report then never i would not do it as the dogs would be killed
and i dont belive in the ban any way
and as you say most are not pitts in the ban it states pit type as well that includes dogs that fit that discription
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
But isn't that down to bad breeding and upbringing? No dog is born a monster or a timebomb, they are taught this behaviour although some dogs may be inherently dog-aggressive.

Back to the original post, I think i've only come across Pit Bulls here, they are easy to get hold of because people are still breeding them. As mentioned, it's not always as that straightforward when identifying breeds. The owners of pit bulls could turn around and claim that their breed is a Staff cross. Only an experienced eye would be able to tell and it's not as though the police or other authority patrol the streets looking for pit bulls or pit types.
well said i agree that dogs are not born monsters but made into them
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by gaznweebeasties View Post
a person i work with just saw me reading this thread and asked me which of the four was the most aggressive?

he had only heard of pitbulls so assumed it would be them, personally i have no idea but have to admit i am curious seen as i thought the majority of behavioural problems, such as aggression, were down to the owners fault and so it would depend entirely on the individual dog and its owner as to how aggressive the dog would be.

i mean i know some breeds were bred specifically for fighting and so it will have an instinct to fight and be aggressive but i was thinking if something like a bad temperament can be bred into a dog, surely with some hard, dedicated work it could be bred out of them?

please let me know if im right in what im thinking or whether im just being naive
you are right good point
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by staffer View Post
i have seen them advertised on ad mart and other web sites also news papers
its not hard to import dogs in banned or not banned
a puppy tosa at 12 weeks or older can be imported as a mastiff
and pitts and staffys or amirican bull dogs
when they are young its very hard to say what there breed is
you could import i wolf as i alsation x
so it not very diffacult a
as to report then never i would not do it as the dogs would be killed
and i dont belive in the ban any way
and as you say most are not pitts in the ban it states pit type as well that includes dogs that fit that discription

Can i just pick up on a point you have made,pit bull type,there is at present no description under the DDA of what a pitbull type is??
so therefore how can a person/vet etc decide if it is pitbull type?
Most of these so called pitts etc advertised are not what the breeder claims to be.
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Where have you seen adverts for them ? I have seen ads for Pits however they usually turn out not to be Pits at all though the police in Tyneside did do an investigation on an alledged Pit breeder recently. Haven`t heard any more on that one as to whether there was a prosecution or not or if the dogs really were Pits.
I do recall seeing on the national news when someone tried to import a Tosa. The airport authorities held the dog while the case was investigated and the dog was returned to source and was kept at the airport kennels until the return flight was arranged.
Animal workers at the airports and docks which allow animal transit are trained in these things because of the regulations, plus vets attending might notice certain breeds and would raise a flag about them, plus paperwork on pet passports and quarantine would pick up on illegal imports unless all the vets doing the paperwork abroad are being paid off to lie about the animals they are blood testing and chipping etc.
Of course, if you know for definate that there are illegal imports and litters around, presumably you are doing something about them as well as ear croppers...?
If you believe they are being smuggled in to avoid the authorities then you have an absolute duty to do something about it unless you want to see the possibility of rabies in this country ?
sorry i forgot to say they are being imorted legally and some go throgh 6 months quarantine
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
Can i just pick up on a point you have made,pit bull type,there is at present no description under the DDA of what a pitbull type is??
so therefore how can a person/vet etc decide if it is pitbull type?
Most of these so called pitts etc advertised are not what the breeder claims to be.
yes true but if it has similar carasistic to the pitt then its a pitt bull type
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2006, 09:11 PM
No dogs should be banned
not many people are worthy or exp of owning such breds, average joe owners simply could not own or handle such breeds, hence the reason they are banned due to owners who dont understand what they own

i doubt other than the pitbull thier are any true bred dogos, fila and tosas in england
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
No dogs should be banned
not many people are worthy or exp of owning such breds, average joe owners simply could not own or handle such breeds, hence the reason they are banned due to owners who dont understand what they own

i doubt other than the pitbull thier are any true bred dogos, fila and tosas in england
i agree no dogs should be banned
but they are in this country and i know my breeds and belive me they are here
Tubeman
New Member!
Male 

03-10-2007, 08:39 PM
It is surely a farce that 4 breeds have been singled out amongst the wide range of dangerous breeds out there. It must be argued that there are possibly other breeds which are as dangerous as our 4 banned breeds. It can't be right that Dogos, Tosas, Filos and Pit Bulls are the only 4 worth banning (if any at all). A better idea would possibly be to pass legislation saying that prospective owners or breeders of such breeds must undergo training on how to handle these misunderstood dogs. Under the correct training and discipline, these dogs should be fully capable of integrating successfully into society. I agree that certain safeguards should be put in place to ensure that these dogs are not mishandled or mistreated. Banning them solves nothing-it simply provides temptation to flout the law, and attracts the kind of prospective breeders/owners who are the sources of the problem in the first place. If genuine breeders wish to continue these breeds' legacies, who are we to tell them they shouldn't? It is only when they are put into the wrong hands that the potential for them to live up to their aggressive nature is reached. What some people forget is that with he correct training and conditioning, these breeds can be as wonderful and affectionate as any other dogs.
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I personally don't agree with the banning of any dog. I believe that any dog breed small or large can be dangerous with incorrect handling or upbringing. I dislike the government telling me what I can or can not do or have because it is easier for them to ban something rather than police the laws we have.

Sarah
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »