register for free

Dog News

The Truth About Your Dog's Food Channel 5 Thursday 9 pm

...has received 99 comments (page 5)
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2014, 07:03 PM
if you read back on this thread, this has already been commented on. Purely scaremongering, the usual spiel raw feeders hear day in and day out from the 'experts' with half a days nutrition tuition from the commercial food companies.
Goodness, no idea how my puppy owners with small children have gone on over the past years when they take their raw fed puppy home, oh yes nothing has happened has it.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2014, 07:56 PM
I have never fed raw but do pay for one of the best whole prey dried foods on the market.

Some of you will be aware that one of my dogs has had problems with Haemorrhagic Gatroenteritis and one of the first things I was asked was, "Is he fed raw bones". I asked why and he said that he has had more than a few dogs in his surgery whose bowel, stomach or gullet has been injured by sharp bones and he needed to rule out that my dog's haemorraging wasn't due to that . He also advised me never to feed any of my dogs raw bones.

So it looks like there are good and bad things for whatever diet you feed them. My last dog was fed kibble and she lived for over 15 years and our family dog when I was growing up was mostly fed Pedigree Chum with a handful of Winalot and he lived to be 17.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Its the cooked bones that are the dangerous ones, they splinter and cause the problems.
None of my dogs has even chipped their teeth on bones, and every single one of my dogs over the last 40 odd years has had raw bones, and none of them has ever had anything untoward happen.
Its very unusual for my dogs to have to go to the vets even, routine stuff yes, thats about it. I had my puppies last year pick some sort of tummy bug that came back from a walk with 2 of my girls, that was the first time I had had a poorly dog since Tawney had her strokes nearly 8 years ago.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2014, 08:04 PM
If you Google 'The BARF Diet Killed My Dog' it makes interesting reading.

I feel that people who feed dry food (although my two do get cooked cod and veggies a few times a week) are made to feel inferior. A little like someone preaching to smokers who has managed to quit themselves. Just my opinion
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
If you Google 'The BARF Diet Killed My Dog' it makes interesting reading.

I feel that people who feed dry food (although my two do get cooked cod and veggies a few times a week) are made to feel inferior. A little like someone preaching to smokers who has managed to quit themselves. Just my opinion
My thoughts exactly. And, until recent years almost all dogs were given cooked bones. Certainly when I was growing up, once the sunday joint was finished - the dog got the bone.

I give Bella about a third of a raw frozen chicken wing daily as her first meal. I have not only vets here who are HORRIFIED that I do that, but had a hard time convincing my boarding kennels owner that it was OK.

I don't like this bashing you over the head with the raw feeding stuff that seems to go on. Bit like the bible bashers lol!

Bella HATES all raw meat. The only raw meat she has been happy to eat is the FROZEN small bits of chicken wings.

I wouldn't be in the LEAST bit bothered if she didn't get those and was fed wholly on kibble or whatever, having had dogs who lived to a ripe old age fed solely on Chappie, Winalot Biscuits and table scraps.

Let's face it we, as humans, are constantly being told what we should and should not eat. How many of us take too much notice of that? Seems to me people (some) are more concerned about what their dog eats than they are concerned about what they or their kids eat.

Must be true or KFC, McD's and Pizza Hut would go skint!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2014, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
My thoughts exactly. And, until recent years almost all dogs were given cooked bones. Certainly when I was growing up, once the sunday joint was finished - the dog got the bone.

I give Bella about a third of a raw frozen chicken wing daily as her first meal. I have not only vets here who are HORRIFIED that I do that, but had a hard time convincing my boarding kennels owner that it was OK.

I don't like this bashing you over the head with the raw feeding stuff that seems to go on. Bit like the bible bashers lol!

Bella HATES all raw meat. The only raw meat she has been happy to eat is the FROZEN small bits of chicken wings.

I wouldn't be in the LEAST bit bothered if she didn't get those and was fed wholly on kibble or whatever, having had dogs who lived to a ripe old age fed solely on Chappie, Winalot Biscuits and table scraps.

Let's face it we, as humans, are constantly being told what we should and should not eat. How many of us take too much notice of that? Seems to me people (some) are more concerned about what their dog eats than they are concerned about what they or their kids eat.

Must be true or KFC, McD's and Pizza Hut would go skint!
Thanks Pat ..... you understand
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2014, 08:36 PM
The only time I have heard this stuff about bones piercing a dogs innards are from vets, never spoken to anyone who it has happened to, nor anyone who knows anyone
Wolves and other canids have survived for thousands of years on this diet and if it happened on a regular basis then they would have died out by now, so although I can understand that it COULD happen, I also know there is probably more chance of them being run over etc
I am sure there is something on Google 'Barf Diet Killed My Dog' I have a friend who has one of Mabs's sisters, when she enquired about a puppy I explained they were raw fed and had to continue this way, and she said she already fed raw because Commercial Food Killed Her Dog, so there you are, everybody has there own particular feelings on this subject don't they.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2014, 08:48 PM
I totally agree with you June and especially for Wolfie type breeds as they have changed so little over the years. There are loads of appalling dry and canned foods out there with absolute rubbish ingredients. My dogs are fed on a dry food that doesn't have 'fillers', preservatives etc so I am quite happy with what they eat.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2014, 11:07 PM
I feed my two a good quality kibble ( Simpsons Premium sensitive range ) with Terra Canis or Lukullus tinned meat from Zooplus mixed in which I startesd to do as my terrier used to be very fussy. I can honestly say I'm 100% happy with what I feed them. They look great, are healthy, and love their food.

At 11 years old and 8 years old they've never had or needed a dental or required me to clean their teeth. They have *touch wood* never had any health issues, both have gorgeous coats ( my Lurcher boy often getting comments on how shiny his coat is ). My terrier developed what we believe to be an intolerance to rice and grains a few years back, but since switching to grain free she's been great.

I can't think of any benefits to feeding raw that I'm not seeing already.

Missy won a contest a few months back which resulted in lots of raw goodies. I still have it all sitting in my freezer apart from the Chicken wings which I tried them on. Both dogs were dubious of the texture. Ty spat his out a number of times. They did get a little more used to them over the following days, but they never looked that excited.

Aside from that I do feed them natural treats such as pig ears, venison sinews, pig tails, Duck necks etc. They go crazy for that kind of stuff!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by charlew View Post
I don't fancy that, they mentioned salmonella - .
Dogs cannot get salmonella poisoning from eating raw chicken meat, wings or whole carcase.
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top