Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:56 AM

Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer) Thread

This is the Cesar Millan Discussion Thread. (Ceser Millan is also known as 'The Dog Whisperer')

Only discuss Cesar Millan and his training techniques in this thread - please do not go off topic.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 09:07 PM
A fresh start, thank goodness. Well done Azz.

I think the last posting was discussing the possibility of hearing from someone who had used CM's methods with a pup?

I too would be very interested to hear if anyone had used CM's way since puppyhood. In the not too distant future, we may be getting a pup, whether or not the rescue idea comes to fruition, so I will be able to find out for myself first hand, but it would be jolly interesting to hear from anyone with current experience.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2008, 09:26 PM
That's something that I was always hoping to see.

I'm certainly no doggy expert, but I have to say I got a good feeling about Ceasar Millan and from the moment we decided to get our first pup we've tuned into every episode.

We've decided to go with a 'natural dog training' approach in which you become prey instead of pack leader But I still find a lot of Ceasar Millan's stuff useful. Whilst the theories behind the two approaches are very different there are a lot of common ideas and techniques. The main thing being working with the dog's natural instincts instead of trying to fight them or supress them!

I'd love to see how he'd recommend rearing a problem free pup from scratch. On his TV program he tends only to deal with problems - not on how to avoid them in the first place. I know this is covered in his videos - I don't know if anyone has seen it?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Buy the book It covers everything, it's not a training manual and states that quite clearly, it explains his philosophy on how to achieve a balanced dog and how to avoid issues. ( Well it's his life story and how he formed his ideas etc etc)
Your all welcome to meet my lot who have all been raised using his methods.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Scarter: I am not sure I want to be regarded as prey by my dog, but it still sounds interesting, if only by its controversial-ness!! (I've got this image of Hal chasing me across the fields waving a knife and fork !!)

What did you say the guy's name was again? I'll google it and have a butchers.

I've got Cesar's first book Trouble. I started to read it, and then got distracted with various problems and it got put away on the bookshelf. I tend to watch his programme every night, which as Scarter says tends to deal with problems rather than basic training.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I started a thread on it here:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=80378

In many ways it's fundamentally different from Ceasar Millan's approach, yet in other ways I think there are similarities.

The natural training is all new to me so I don't properly understand it. But one of the things that Ceasar Millan always says (if I understand HIM correctly) that is if your dog is jumping all over you like a lunatic then it's disrespect. Now I LOVE my dog to jump all over me like a lunatic. I love to wrestle and play with her. I love her to be over the moon to see me when I come home (after being out for two minutes). So this is one of the things that I wasn't keen on in CM's approach (not because I think he's wrong, but simply because of how I want my relationship with my dog to be). Now if I understand it correctly, the 'natural dog training' approach requires you to encourage your dog to absolutely love to be with you. It *should* want physical contact.

I don't know what the natural dog training guys have to say about CM's viewpoint, nor do I know what CM would say about the NDT guys approach. But I'd love to find out!!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Scarter: Having a beagle jumping all over you is one thing, a great big hairy husky cross like Hal was not a pleasurable experience! His claws hurt like hell (he never went on pavements at all, so they were long, hard and impossible to cut!) and he would cover you with white fluff.

Using Cesar's way, I virtually instantly stopped him from doing this. He became a lot more balanced - and yes, respectful - as a consequence. Instead of having to pop him into the garage when we had clients call, he was allowed to stay by our side in the porch. The door was not opened until he was sitting calmly.

I'm off now to look at this natural training !
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

23-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I haven't read all of it tbh, I sort of skimmed through it but will come back to it when I'm not so tired.
As for the dogs jumping all over me when I come in, no I definately don't want that. I want them to be happy to see me of course I do, but I insist on bums on floor and being greeted in a controlled manner. There are 5 of them of varying sizes, the biggest being Syd the male Dobie weighing in at 46kgs of solid muscle, I'd rather he didn't flatten me thanx I love to play with him and we do play quite rough but Syd knows the rules and he can be very careful. He has to be around smaller dogs and kids. We play tuggy and I sometimes let him win, but he's not daft he knows it's a game not a competition and he brings it straight back to start over. How my arms stay in their sockets is a mystery.
The whole thing about Cesars thoughts are that your dog should think the sun shines out of your butt and of course he should love to be with you. In fact he should love to be with you so much, recall is a doddle, following commands comes naturally, and corrections are no more than a touch, a sound, a look, clicking of fingers or pointing a finger.
That said, any method that works that causes no harm either physically or mentally is fine by me.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2008, 11:10 PM
You see, that's where I think the approaches are very similar.

If I'm taking this thread off-topic then someone say so. But really I'm just trying to understand CM's approach in relation to another approach that I'm keen on. (I do very much like both)

*IF* I understand it correctly, both approaches end up in the same place. Your dog loves you, thinks you're the best thing since sliced bread and everything else just falls into place. CM does it by being pack leader. NDT does it by being the most prized prey in the doggies world. In both cases, once the dog understands the relationship it's plain sailing. Now I like the NDT approach because a) I like to interact with my dog that way, and b) my dog is a hound that loves to interact with me in that way. BUT --- once the relationship is established I understand that it'll be easy to stop the dog from jumping on me when I don't want her to do it. But as I've said, it's all new to me right now!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

23-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Firstly I think the most important factor is to find a method that you feel comfortable with, that comes easily to you and you are committed to, whatever method that may be.
I haven't read enough of your link (but I will tomorrow) from what I've seen there are quite a lot of similarities even the same phrases are being used. Although I don't think I want to be described as a moose
Page 1 of 102 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 > Last »