Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 08:57 AM

So pleased with Max!

At training last night, we had an influx of new dogs. Max of course is quite nervous/aggressive with dogs at training.

The one kind of dog Max really has trouble with are black dogs, medium to large breeds (labradors, collie x, newfie, larabdoodle, schnauzer etc)

It's taken me weeks and weeks to get Max comfy enough to be within 10 feet of Alfie, a black labradoodle, and he can now sit 5ft away from him, and even do a stay off he lead without any trouble

Last night 5 of the new dogs were black

Max had a real problem with a (huge) Newfie puppy and also a mostly black GSD (who is in guide dog training, but I'm not sure he'll make it) and of course, Max's arch enemy Ted (a choc lab)

He had a couple of growls, but actually managed to sit and not take any notice of them when we did heelwork in circles and weaving round other people and dogs!! Yay!

Actually, it's his new best friend Elvis who has made this possible. Elvis is a 5yr old Wiemy who is terribly nervous, but actually very calm. When we stand next to Elvis and his mum (who is a dog walker) Max just calms right down. I've spoken to Elvis' mum about this, and she is happy for us to work next to them, as Elvis seems to pass his calm vibes on to Max.

More than can be said for Murphy, who, on his recall, steered round my OH and made a beeline for Ted, who is aggressive with every other dog in the room

Murphy shot up to him, clouted him on the nose before he could react and shot away back to the safety of my OH!! My heart was in my mouth, as Ted can be horrible vicious when he wants to be....
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Aww its great when things go well, I know exactly how you feel.

Very strange how all the run-aways always go to the ones that wont like it, they always do it to Obi Must be able to sense something and it draws them in
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 07:51 AM
So glad it went well. It makes you feels so happy and proud doesn't it?

Heidi
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Well done Max.