View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi Leanne may I add a point to this part of Catrins informative post...
- always call your dog in a really Happy excited voice, never shout or sound angry of threatening as there is nothing nice about returning to an angry owner. Call them once, or maybe twice but no more if they are ignoring you - you don't want them to learn that they can ignore you calling them. Try to call them when there are less distractions, give your self a fighting chance.

It is important that you puppy doesn't learn to ignore you when his name is called, if he has gone to 'talk ' to another dog and you don't think he will come when called it is better to go and fetch him rather than call him at all.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Looks like you could do with a feather duster like I had,xxxxx
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 11:17 PM
That made me laugh Booh x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 11:29 PM
hahah yeah the feather duster sounds fun
Deff agree with everything here - great advice
Another thing I have been advised if they dont come back and you need them back - dont chase but walk them down
That involves keeping eye contact and v erect posture just keep walking towards the dog
they might try and move away or engage you in a chase game but dont say anything dont speed up or slow down and when you have got them just put them on the lead and ignore them. lets them know you were not happy with having to come and get them
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2008, 08:01 AM
We have Bruce off the lead, he's 6 months too. On odd occassions, when he see's another dog he goes in a different direct to us, I just call him, with a happy voice recall. He comes back for that....but wouldn't if it's a panic or stern voice.
I'm sure shadow will get there soon, I wouldn't like to say do this or do that, but as someone has said, happy excited voice, is a winner with Bruce.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Oh another think I have heard - and have seen in my friends dog
The dog used to do a runner into woods where they could not see it
they would shout and shout but it would come back in its own time
then on advice one day when it had gone they shouted once then got on with the rest of the walk, the dog came back much quicker this time and did not go out of view for the rest of the walk
why?
when it was away from them they didnt know where it was but with all the shouting he always knew where they were - so was happy to come back when he had had his fun
when they stopped shouting he didnt know where they were - got a bit panniced and ran back to find out - and didnt want to leave them again
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Ok - here are some tips which should be done from day one, but all will help if you start now. There's loads of them so i will just list them in no particular order.

- always take treats with you.

- always call your dog in a really happpy excited voice, never shout or sound angry of threatening as there is nothing nice about returning to an angry owner. Call them once, or maybe twice but no more if they are ignoring you - you don't want them to learn that they can ignore you calling them. Try to call them when there are less distractions, give your self a fighting chance.

- if you are ignored bend down with your arms wide, or, like others have said, run screaching in the other directions, or even crouch down and pretend to look really interested in something on the floor.

- make a game of getting your dog to come back to you regularly, sometimes give them a treat, sometimes play with them, sometimes clip the lead on and get them to walk with you for a bit, sometimes clip lead on and take it off again, sometimes hold collar. The idea is that the dog never knows when the walk is going to end - lots of dogs only ever have their lead put on at the end of the walk when the fun is over so there is little reward in them returning to their owner.

- get yoru dog used to having a treat for having its collar held.

- don't follow the same route - hide from your dog sometimes...like a hide and seek game so they always have to keep an eye on you.

- before you let your dog play with other dogs get them to pay attention to you for and then release them to play. keep play sessions short and sometimes put them on the lead and get them to walk past other dogs and not play. whether they play or not should be yoru decision.

- train them to come back to a whistle if you feel that they have already learnt to ignore you calling them.

- There is no reason that your dog has to be fed in a bowl at home, if you have a real problem with recall take dried food out with you and let the dog know that you have it, then feed pieces to them each time they come back to you.

- never chase after your dog to get them back as this is then a game in their eyes.

- at home practice coming to call and do not reward the dog until you have your fingers slipped under their collar....that is very important or they will learn the "grab the treat and run off" move.

- even if you are angry with your dog for not coming back don't show it to them. If they come back after ten minutes you don't have to praise them, but do not tell them off just clip them on the lead.

- practice practice practice!

Fingers crossed for you!
Thanks for all the advice!! We are hoping to start recall training with the puppy trainer but will start straight away!!

Hades - unfortuantely we only got Shadow a month ago so we are finding things a little more challenging it's taken me 4 days to get him to do down but he's eventually got it. He's learned alot of bad habits from his previous owners, but I'm working hard to break them!!
I've tried just walking away and ignoring him, he does come back to me but when I go to lead him he runs off again! I always take treats and also a squeaky ball, 8 out 10 times he will come back to the ball squeaking. I think I've only gone after him once, I soon learned my lesson with that one
beaujingles
New Member!
Female 

31-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Great reply. Having the same trouble with my 5 month old. Will use these ideas, sounds fun. Can't wait to run screening in the opposite direction. 😁
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2015, 01:27 PM
I'm trying to not make this personal, as I'm not really in the best place but wanted to point out that while you are doing the best you can (and I praise you for that) to train your dog to have a perfect recall please don't let that spoil things for other people and dogs.
If your dog is the sort who stays at a good distance, has great doggy social skills (knows when to play, when to back off) and does fallow straight away or pretty quickly when you run off screaming (I always loved that method of teaching recall, I'd yell random works) then yes, fair enough. But if your dog is a typical hyper 6 month old loon who is still learning he can't jump on every person and dog he comes across regardless to you running around clucking like a chicken or shouting hamburgers, then keep him on a long line, work with him that way and slowly get him used to being off his lead in quiet places where you can see people coming.

A couple extra tips that always worked for me,
Don't take them to the park when they are full of energy, drain a bit of first, either with a quick game of fetch in the garden, some focus work around the house or let them run laps around the living room.
When you get to the park keep them on the lead, do sort of a scout around together, keep their focus on you, use happy voice, treats ect. Do some heel work, some sits ect.
When you finally let them off, put them in a sit and wait (or stay command) take as many steps back as you can (assuming you are working on this at home anyway), call them to you, BIG TREATS, BIG FUSS, send to go play.
beaujingles
New Member!
Female 

31-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Sarah jade, he is always on long lead, we have a training lead and can think of nothing worse than him causing mayhem with other walkers. The only time I let him off is when he meets up with a friend. Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >