View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pawsdirect
New Member!
Male 

25-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I sometimes feel like smacking the owners who smack the dogs.....wonder how they would like it? Would it improve their behaviour??? Me thinks not

Hitting any dog, cat, human, baby, alien (or is that just me?) acheives NOTHING!!!

Makes the situation worse.

I thought this was obvious............
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Mine get a smack all the time, but they like it!

Seriously though, I have never smacked to hurt but have smacked to grab attention and no harder than I smack their rump in play (which they love and back up onto you for more!). When Mad is in 'the zone', you can shout and bawl and fling out her fave toys, her fave food (and she never refuses food unless it's really serious, gutsy mare she is) and she's oblivious, but for some reason a smack on the rump gets her attention back onto me. It's rare these days (touches wood!) that she gets to that stage anymore, but if she feels really intimidated, say is shocked by an offlead dog running up out of nowhere which neither of us has noticed in time, then she will 'freak out' and it is needed. But as I said, it certainly doesn't hurt her and she's definitely not afraid of me the wee minx.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Well, here goes!!!

No, I would never, ever use an E-Collar and do not think a smack is the same in any way shape or form!

Yes, if necessary I do scold - by that I mean a gruff voice and a little 'scruff' to say "No". Only when he has been defiant. I don't physically hit with my hand though.

I see nothing wrong with it, either scolding a child or a dog - as long as it is within 'reasonable' boundaries so to speak. No, I wouldn't knock seven bells out of my dog or ever lose my temper and smack him as this would make him lose every ounce of confidence in me. I do NOT hit harshly, it is a very light "Agrhhh" firm "NO" and a little scruff - in total I think I have done it about 5 times!!

I guess it is like everything - my Mum was a teacher and used to say a glare could make some kids behave, others needed a warning and then they were the most attentive pupils!!! That was in the days where there was no knife crime etc!!!

Some dogs will suffice with a loud 'NO' - others will give you the finger as they willfully do as they please! I guess you have to reproach as you see fit.(within reason of course)

Beating a dog is unforgivable and I think some people go too far when reproaching their dogs. To me E-collars have no place in the hands of an every-day dog owner
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 11:25 PM
I never smack,,,If a dog needs telling off, {which is not often with my lot} I grab them one hand at either side of there face,,,then give them a damn good shout,,,rotties hate it,,,If I smacked them they would turn into hand shy,,,{poss nappy dogs} not a good thing in any dog,,,
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Well, here goes!!!

No, I would never, ever use an E-Collar and do not think a smack is the same in any way shape or form!

Yes, if necessary I do scold - by that I mean a gruff voice and a little 'scruff' to say "No". Only when he has been defiant.

I see nothing wrong with it, either scolding a child or a dog - as long as it is within 'reasonable' boundaries so to speak. No, I wouldn't knock seven bells out of my dog or ever lose my temper and smack him as this would make him lose every ounce of confidence in me. I do NOT hit harshly, it is a very light "Agrhhh" firm "NO" and a little scruff - in total I think I have done it about 5 times!!

I guess it is like everything - my Mum was a teacher and used to say a glare could make some kids behave, others needed a warning and then they were the most attentive pupils!!! That was in the days where there was no knife crime etc!!!

Some dogs will suffice with a loud 'NO' - others will give you the finger as they willfully do as they please! I guess you have to reproach as you see fit.(within reason of course)

Beating a dog is unforgivable and I think some people go too far when reproaching their dogs. To me E-collars have no place in the hands of an every-day dog owner
Excellent post AM!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Just had this thought as I read through the e collar thread, I have never lifted my hand in anger to any of my dogs not even as some do a wee smack to the nose, what do you all think ?
If I asked the question;
Do you think it is alright to smack a new born baby for crying and soiling a nappy and if not why not.

The vast majority of people would say do you really need to ask that question, babies do these things because they are natural behaviour and to smack a baby for performing natural behaviour would be extremely cruel .

As far as I am concerned the same criteria applies to dogs, they do (or don't do ) things because it is natural behaviour/they don't understand what is required of them by humans/ they haven't yet learned what is required behaviour from the point of view of humans.
Therefore to punish or try to restrain a dogs behaviour with smacking or any other form of punishment is cruel.
It takes time, patience and consistency to teach a dog required behaviour and some behaviors that are instinctive are almost impossible to 'train out ', so we need to find alternative ways to deal with them.

Wysiwyg has posted links to a couple of articles containing information on how to do this without resorting to physical violence. ...

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/behavio...ogs-learn.html

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/behavio...g-chasing.html
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 10:51 AM
i get what your saying minihaha - BUT dogs are not like newborns,, they are more better compared to toddlers

if a todler was going to put tis finger in the rfire - would go you no,, pull child away - child has ,earnt nothing execpt im going to go back when your not looking,, but if you say no -smack - (not hard obv) on somewhere likenappy - then its shock factor,,, babies hand saved from being burnt

can i ask this question though- - - how many people here were smacked as kids - (just atap i mean) to let them know a certain behaviour was wrong??? and if you were smacked, how many of those people smack their dogs??

just a thought.....

p.s - i was smacked as a child when i was naughty - the fire for example was whatreally happened to me,,,,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 11:00 AM
I have to say I have never smacked gordon, some people seem surprised by this,,some even ask him, but he has never been smacked,,, I just never had to or felt it would help, Im not a naturaly smacky person,,,{when it comes to me and mine} lol
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I never smack,,,If a dog needs telling off, {which is not often with my lot} I grab them one hand at either side of there face,,,then give them a damn good shout,,,rotties hate it,,,If I smacked them they would turn into hand shy,,,{poss nappy dogs} not a good thing in any dog,,,

That's what I do too Shona and I totally agree it works a treat!

In fact Marius got told off like that yesterday as he was in 'testing' mode in the field and decided to make a his own games up and wouldn't come back when called. He got his cheeks chucked and a very stern word from me, he was heeling like a Pro afterwards the little tink!!

With regards to children, to be honest I think if more of them were given the proper discipline when younger there wouldn't be the amount of ASBO's and bad behaviour we see today. I am not saying go around and hit out left, right and centre, but there is a happy medium.

A lot of todays youth have a total disregard and lack of respect for their peers. Perhaps I am old fashioned in my thinking to some, but the way I see it, if more of them got a smack for very bad behaviour as kids, they may have turned out more respectful and better rounded adults.
Navigator
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I have trouble understanding these kinds of discussions.

Striking an animal is not the same as "beating a number of bell out of him/her. Neither shall it be used when the dog is crying or peeing / pooping on the floor. It is a last resort and should be used when required. Not because we are bad handlers, but keep in mind - exactly half of us are below average handlers. When a situation escalates beyond our ability to handle - it may become necessary. It shall then be done, without anger, swiftly and decisively! Preferably with an object suitable to create hurt, but not damage.
It is not a cop-out or an admittion of defeat, even though those against, love to claim so.

I thought this was obvious!

In my oppinion, most of the "Never never ever lot are way below average handlers. They dont face reality!

Nav
Page 5 of 64 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 55 > Last »