View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 06:05 PM
The butcher where I get our chicken from charges around £7 for a free-range bird.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm going to check this out at my M & S tomorrow Becky, coz I DO know for a fact, I could buy a bird of the same size for either £4(ish) or £7(ish) at mine, so one has just GOT to be free range, and I've had BOTH in the past, and believe me the £7 is the better choice for taste!!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm going to check this out at my M & S tomorrow Becky, coz I DO know for a fact, I could buy a bird of the same size for either £4(ish) or £7(ish) at mine, so one has just GOT to be free range, and I've had BOTH in the past, and believe me the £7 is the better choice for taste!!!
Well, the Oakham chicken in my basket was without stuffing and was over £8.... and was def not free-range.

Incidentally, Bernard, the free-range one I bought is in the oven and smelling gorgeous.

Don't ask me why we've named it Bernard, it's my birthday weekend and I can do what I like lol.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 06:54 PM
I am sure on either Hugh F-W or Jamie Oliver's programme they said the Oakham chicken was NOT free range, but was packaged to look as though it was.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Am sure our M&S do free range chickens- not that I shop there often.

Tesco sometimes have them but not often. It annoys me that they have free range birds but very rarely have free range breasts/legs etc.

I think the tv programmes have hightened public awareness so hopefully the super markets will realise that the public want to buy free range and thus increase their stocks.

H (7) has decided she doesn't want to eat meat or chicken at all after seeing the programme- don't expect it'll last, she likes meat too much!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a Tesco and Sainsburys within a few miles of each other. I always buy free range chicken and eggs and have done for a while now. As well as the higher cost for free range, the only free range chickens my local supermarkets tend to do is small to medium ones. We had chicken for christmas dinner and went to Tescos first and then on to Sainsburys as they only had really small free range ones in Tescos, we managed to get a slightly larger one in Sainsburys.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 07:39 PM
My turkey not only was organic and free range but very very local (bloke in the village does them!)
Becky
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 07:47 PM
We couldn't get one today either!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 07:50 PM
There are some in the paddock here, [ landladys ], but they are pets, so hands off
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am sure on either Hugh F-W or Jamie Oliver's programme they said the Oakham chicken was NOT free range, but was packaged to look as though it was.
The amanger said all thier chickens are oakhams, you just have to check if they are labelled free-range, although with no free range to choose from I did think the one I picked had packaging that imlied it had been running over hills!

Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Am sure our M&S do free range chickens- not that I shop there often.
Ours is a tiny M&S, they only ever get them if they get sent there by mistake apparently.

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
My turkey not only was organic and free range but very very local (bloke in the village does them!)
Becky
See, thats the way to do it.
All M&S ducks and turkeys are free-range, although, tbh I never thought of ducks as being intensively reared. Perhaps we need a programme on how other poultry is reared.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >