View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
2countrydogs
New Member!
Female 

10-12-2007, 04:58 AM

rescued dog using my house as a potty!!!

i took in a 2 yr old jack / daxy cross, ( female) and she pees and poops in the house. GRRR I have had her for a month now, and tried everything from rubbing her nose in it and putting her outside, to trying the paper thing! It was a mild day, so I put her outside at 10 am, and brought her in at 3 pm as it startd to cool off, she ran right in the door and pooped and peed as soon as her little feet hit the carpet. Feeling so irritated I bought a kennel. Now I am sad that I find myself so grouchy with the messing I would rather leave her in the kennel if she has to be in the house. I agreed to take this dog so she wouldnt be turned into the SPCA, but now I find myself trying to resist the urge. She is great with kids, and other dogs, but I just cant keep going like this. help
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:02 AM
How do you think your dog will learn what is expected of it, if you dont put in the effort to teach it?
You seem more than willing to punish ('rubbing its nose in it') and confuse the animal(offering it paper yet wanting it to go outside???!!), so why not redirecting your 'effort' into physically standing outside with the dog for as LONG as it takes. When it squats (as it surely will at some point), add a cue word, then, when it has finished, praise to the heavens?
Initially you may be out there a lont time, so wrap up warm, but once the dog has the idea, that time will shorten.
Dogs dont learn by osmosis!

if you dont think you can be bothered to put in the time with this dog, perhaps it might be better off with the spca!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm sorry your getting so irritated with what started out as a good intention, but I'm afraid nothing but patience and commitment on your part is going to help the situation.

Firstly, actions like 'rubbing her nose in it' are very out dated ways of training. It is extremely unlikely that the dog will understand what you are getting at - all it will do is scare the dog and make it less likely to bond with you and understand what you expect.

Dogs are generally clean animals and do not like to go in 'their space'. if she is spending more time outside she may not see the inside of your house as 'her space' and this may make training a little more difficult.

I would spend more time with her in the house, but you have to be prepared to put the effort in. The best way to train a dog is by positive reinforcement...whenever she does something that is right, praise and reward her.

This means take her out regularly to where you want her to go - once she does, praise and reward her. When she's in the house, watch her and if you see any sign she is about to go, distract her and get her outside (without telling off) and then praise her when she goes outside.

If she does go in the house, think of it as your fault rather than hers - do not tell her off, particularly if you haven't caught her in the act as she will just not understand.

If she's messed in the house a few times, there may still be smells which will encourage her to continue going in the same places and it is worth going over these areas with something that will remove any odours.

There are some good articles on puppy house training on here, which, although your dog is older, would still be good advice to follow.

If you don't think you have the time/commitment to do this, it may be better for both of you if you do give her up, but if you are willing, good luck and let us know how you get on.
2countrydogs
New Member!
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Im really sorry to have asked anything at all!!!!

I joined this site, because a friend of mine said everyone was so helpful, I admit, perhaps your responses are insightful, but so far I have had 2 responses, first was an attack to say the very least! and second was slightly less rude!

I have had dogs all my life, and never had a dog intentionally mess in my house. I apologize if I am ignorant to new age training, my mistake!

perhaps this isnt the support group I thought it was!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:18 AM
I was very restrained actually - but I do agree Halis was a better constructed reply

I hope you will try and employ the suggestions therein.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm sorry that the responses have come over less friendly than we usually are, but the two of us who replied read (perhaps wrongly) into your first post that this dog was just a nuisance to you and that you just wanted a 'quick fix'.

If this isn't the case, I do appologise for the tone of my response, though the advice still holds.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Have you read the Dogsey article on Housetraining. Although about puppy housetraining it does also work with adult dogs

Dogsey House Training Your Puppy Article
2countrydogs
New Member!
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Bambi is a part of my family, we love her to pieces, I am not in search of a quick fix, if I had been she would have been at the SPCA 3 days after I got her, when I was up to my ears in house messes, and had not yet learned to love her.

That said, I came her to get some outside input, which I will read as it comes and try everything in the order that will work for us ( not saying effort isnt worth making, just that some scenarios are more likely to work for our family and where we live, our schedule etc )

I am appreciative for all responses, but if I am to be made look like a monster, what exactly is that teaching me??? I suppose I could have been more in depth about what I wanted, and what was going on.

Any reason I would have for taking Bambi to the SPCA would strictly be that she does not fit our family, not that i am not willing to make effort. If I wasnt, would I have bothered to come here to ask?
2countrydogs
New Member!
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Thank you Carole, I will start reading first thing in the morning, I need to get some sleep.... long day and morning comes much to early on the farm.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:41 AM
I have a full Dachsie and they can be notoriously difficult to housetrain! Do you have any idea as to her background? Why she ended up in rescue? It could be that she is terrified of being outside so you will need to teach her that outside is good and fun, although winter is probably not the best place to start lol!
I find the best way is to start from scratch, treat her as though you are training a pup. So popping her outside every hour or so and making a big fuss when she goes outside.
Make sure inside has been cleaned with biological washing powder as this will remove the smell so not encourage her to go indoors.
Lots of fun outside and hopefully things will start to improve!
Good Luck!
Becky
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >