Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2007, 01:32 PM

Advice on how to cope with my Phobia, please

Not sure where this should go, so please move if it's in the wrong place

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I have a terrible fear of strong wind/gales, and the weather forcaster said we are due for these this weekend and I'm already trembling with the thought of it and my stomachs in knots, in the past I've had someone to cling to when it's been windy, now I don't now what to do, if I'm in the car, I'm frightened it'll get blown over, or a tree will come crashing down on me, if I'm at home I'm frightened the aeriel will come crashing down, or worse the chimney will come crashing through the roof, I just don't know what to do, I'm panicking before it's even started, please if anyone has any advice, I'd be very grateful, I can see a very stressfull weekend ahead of me
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-11-2007, 02:07 PM
rent the movie twister it worked for me xxx
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
rent the movie twister it worked for me xxx

That's the odd thing, I love that sort of film, I've probably watched them all several times, it still doesn't stop me panicking
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2007, 02:37 PM
I hate wind & storms, I have the same fear of having the car(mine weighs over a ton )blown over & I hate using the Humber Bridge if it's windy

I don't go out unless I have to & then not very far. You could have a word with your doctor as phobias are taken seriously now not like years ago
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Don't panic yet.......the weather men always get it wrong

What about hypnotherapy i think that can work quite well.

My sister has a terrible phobia of pigeons. Havent a clue why but walking through our town centre is quite funny as there is always loads and she hangs on to me for dear life.

Why not try some calms if you get really panicky, they are herbal from the chemist. I was getting really worked up about an old neighbour and trouble they were giving me and i have to say i think they really worked. I seemed to deal with the idiot much more calmly than normal
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
You could have a word with your doctor
Yes, that's good advice. In the meantime try thinking about the odds of anything you mentioned actually happening to you. A TV aerial comming down, a tree on your car, a chimney etc. Some statisticien may jump in and correct me but I'd be surprised if they weren't a million to one chance.

You're far more likely to get knocked over when crossing the road or get a fatal dose of food poisoning at your local take away

Everything we do has some risk attached, I find it helpful to put everything into scale. For me at the moment having an RTA is my phobia, but the TV and Radio tell me that's not a phobia it's a fact
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I don't have any phobias so can't help in that respect but have you considered taking herbal calmers to see if they help? Maybe they need to invent a DAP collar for people!
Becky
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 11:54 AM
How are you coping CLMG, hope the weather hasn't been too bad for you. We have had heavy rain, gales, thunder and lightning here. Hope you are ok.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi how are you doing? Sorry have just read this post.

It is worth having a chat with your doc for when galoes are forecast again. In the meantime if it is really windy then try some ddep relaxatuion at home, if you pm ne your email address I can try and email you some stuff you can put on cd toi help or will gladly post you a copy if you want. Its stuff I got from psychologist to help me with my fear of going out and it is gradually working.

And although its very hard like was suggested try thinking how many times it has been windy and nothing bad has happened but that is REALLy hard to do I know but can be effective in taking edge off things

Hope you are ok

hugs
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Oh, bless you, thank you for thinking of me yesterday wasn't too bad, whcih I was glad about, as we had agility training, and to get there is a couple of miles up a single lane country road, flanked on both side by woods, and the barn we use is in the middle of a wood as well, I don't think I could have coped if it had been very windy.

Today is pretty bad, it seems to be blowing a gale out there, the aerial on the flats opposite keeps wobbling badly and I can here the wind wistling about like mad, and everytime it does I just have to hide my head under my arms, if that make sense, my stomach is in knots, I feel sick and I'm shaking like mad, inside and out, I'm having to concentrate on breathing as well, as silly as that sounds, I daren't go upstairs incase the chimney comes down, I'm really glad I don;t have to go out today.

I definitatley think a visit to the docs is a good idea, I can't keep on like this, I'll have to make the effort this week before the next hurricane hits us.

Thank you all for your support, I really appreciate it

Benszmum, thank you, I'll pm now
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >