Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Would it be an idea to set up a website for people on how to run a companion/fun show and go through the steps etc?
Becky
megan57collies and I are planning on collaborating on putting info together, one FAQ for people entering shows, and one for organisers - we will be starting an `organisors thread` soon, with, and asking for, suggestions so what we collate will be using the input from you guys and if we get it right will be submitted for consideration for the Dogsey FAQ pages [ to compliment the companions show outline already there ].
The aim is to put things together which people can submit to existing organisers [ classes etc ] and for people new to running a show to have a general guide to refer to, and which might even persuade organisers of fetes etc to put on a show which they had`nt considered doing before for instance.

Don`t know about a specific solo website for it all, thats certainly far beyond my expertise and we need to collate everything first for Dogsey as its you guys who are coming together to make suggestions in the first place, but who knows what might be possible in due course

And of course if/when we have specific FAQ links, it would be great if members added them to their website links as well as the main Dogsey url :smt047 :smt047 :smt047
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Chellie View Post
What about fastest recall? At our shows we split it into under 18", over 18" and lurchers (just to give the others a chance
Ooooh, loving that one especially the class splits

We also do fastest chocolate button eater where we set up a windy course and the dog has to eat a chocolate button from each strategically placed plate.

Becky, Nala retrieved the sausage whole too, at least I didn't see her chewing it

Adding these to the list now
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 04:16 PM
The list so far [ for easy reference ]

Novelty Classes

Waggiest Tail
Prettiest Bitch
Handsomest Dog
Best Veteran
Pairs
Irish Brace [opposite of pairs for dogs least alike each other]
Happy families [ multiple dogs living together ]
Best rescue [ possibly pedigree & crossbreed split ]
Dog the Judge Would Like To Take Home
Fancy Dress
Dog Most Like Owner
Childs best friend - handled by child
Best head/expression
Cutest pup
Consolation Class - for dogs who have not won a class that day
Best six Legs
Disabled dogs
Best Crossbreed/Mongrel
Best moving dog or bitch
Best local dog, within a 5 mile radius
Under 25 inches
Over 25 Inches
Other height specific catagories
Best smoothcoat
Best roughcoat
Oldest combined age
Cheekiest Looking Dog/ Dog with most character
Most Noisy Dog
Best Cross breed Babies 6/12 months
Best Crossbreed all sizes
SCAMPS heat for the crossbreed and mongrel club
Adult Under 50s and Adult Over 50s handling classes
Dog in Best Condition

Activity based novelty classes

Best Trick
Retrieve the sausage [ the one with the most sausage left wins! ]
Best Biscuit/Sausage Catcher
Races - Like terrier racing but open to all breeds
Most Obedient
Best mannered
Fastest Bonio Eater
Sausage and spoon/dog treat on spoon [ adult / child handler split perhaps ? ]
Jumping competition, low agility jumps, fenced off each side. Owner recalls the dog to them. Prize for the quickest time.
Fastest recall [ preferably split it into size groups, and lurchers run separately for fairness ]
Fastest chocolate button eater - a windy course, the dog has to eat a chocolate button from each strategically placed plate. *Dog chocolate only of course
Obstacle race [ details here http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=50 ]

Fastest Apple Bobber, dog and handler sit next to a bucket, at the sound of the buzzer/start pistol/whistle, the handler or dog plunge bob for the Apple. Handler then stands up, hand in the air, apple in ....gob ....

Standard Pedigree/Purebred Classes and Special Pedigree/Purebred Classes

Sight and Scent
Utility Gang
Dogs to Gun
Dogs with Jobs
Tiny Tots
Tearway Terriers
Oldies 7 plus
Utility Gang Best rescue or retired
Racer(Greyhound)

Junior Handlers [ applicable to Pedigree/Purebred and Novelty ]

Best dog owned and handled by a child aged 5/10 years
Best dog owned and handled by a Child 11 to 15 yrs

When we have more suggestions I`ll add them on

NB
For descriptive purposes only, I`ve added Purebred to the Pedigree title simply for new people to fun shows to see that non-pedigree`d purebreds are eligible for Pedigree classes
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 04:21 PM
There are some really great ideas - seems to be something for everyone & certainly there would be classes I would love to enter Kip & Hoki in. (mind you I might leave them behind and enter the chocolate button one myself...except I wouldn't use doggie choc!)

Its a shame we are all so widely spread or we could have a dogsey fun show
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Can't we organise a Dogsey weekend in the midlands somewhere? Camp site and everything?
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
There are some really great ideas - seems to be something for everyone & certainly there would be classes I would love to enter Kip & Hoki in. (mind you I might leave them behind and enter the chocolate button one myself...except I wouldn't use doggie choc!)
I now have visions of handlers on their hands and knee`s scoffing chocolate drops along a course while the dogs look on bewildered :smt044

Its a shame we are all so widely spread or we could have a dogsey fun show

Now theres a thought, something to consider with area heats perhaps
Another possibility could be an online Companion show - I`ll start a potential Virtual Show thread
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2007, 06:30 PM
You can have best lady, gentleman handler classes that people can enter when they are waiting for their next class. If judged on a points system you wouldn't have to run it as a 'class' but could keep it open all day for people to enter as many times as they like. Highest points win.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Another idea is to hold a SCAMPS heat for the crossbreed and mongrel club.

The club provide the rosettes and all proceeds go the the Companion Show charity. All they ask is that the dogs are judged the same way as the pedigree dogs i.e. on condition, confirmation and movement.

The only restriction is that all dogs that enter are crossbreeds or mongrels, (amazing how pedigree dogs become crosses when there is a competition ) they do not have to be members of the club

If anyone is interested in holding a SCAMPS heat, please PM me.
Clipper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2007, 07:09 PM
What about Adult handling classes. At Dundee Canine Society shows, they hold Adult Under 50s and Adult Over 50s handling classes.
Just a thought.
Clipper & the furry gang.
kerjord
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2007, 09:04 PM
I should have suggested obstacle race. We went to a show that had one last weekend. It was hysterical.

You complete this carrying a FULL glass of water with or without your dog on a lead!!!
1. over a jump
2. Sit on Chair and hold umbrella and sit your dog beside you (not easy I can tell you with glass in one hand and umbrella in the other)
3. Put a hoop over you
4. sit your dog and put the hoop over him.
5. guide your dog along a tape "ladder on the ground
6. Through a tyre
7.Throw a ring round a hop (without your dog catching it)

Medal for under 45 seconds
Treat for teh dog.
Sweets for kids

I confess to going round several times (it was better after a lunch time lager)... Our spaniel loved it and got more excited with each try and even ran off with the hoop and ring. My 7 year old had the time of his life.

Needless to say the charity made a fair amount of dosh out of us.

[B]By the way any tips on surviving dog shows in the pouring rain when you don't have a crate and there's no ringside parking???!!! We have 4 fold up chairs and a waterproof ground sheet that goes over them.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >