View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I disagree, the top showers breed regularly and produce a constant stream of animals, if one doesnt cut it, they rehome it, inside 12 months, usually 6 they have one to replace it. This is why you have "top" breeders, they are also those that breed a lot too.
Uhh I was top breeder in my breed - by virtue of ONE litter (hardly a constant stream!), ALL of which won at least a Res CC and this included a record breaking bitch. I don't rehome my dogs if they don't turn out to be showable! I have a very good friend in another breed who has been the top breeder for about 10 or 12 years on the trot now and many times before that, she breeds once every four or five years and she's never rehomed a dog in her life! Please don't tar all top breeders with the same brush!

there are hundreds of timid tempered dogs or dogs that "dont like showing" that will never see a ring but will certainly be bred from.
Yes, normally those from people who have shown once or twice, haven't won (therefore the results MUST have been fixed in their eyes) and breed anyway!

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 06:44 PM
You can ask Guide Dogs they will tell you that when they selected dogs on good hips only they lost temperament and vice versa, that's how they came to the conclusion that you needed an all round good dog and breed on that basis not just select one particular trait.
As far as I'm concerned anyone who breeds solely for money is a puppy farmer in my book regardless as to whether it's one litter or a 100, if that offends then so be it. I do not believe that dogs should be bred for money, it's because many do and it is acceptable that we get all these crosses at ridiulous prices.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
In short, yes.

Coming from someone who is considering breeding in the future, I'd like to think that the dog I was breeding from was as close to possible to the breed standard. And I don't just mean in looks, the breed standard also applies to the dogs conformation in relation to its original purpose.

Take Isla for example:

Health wise she appears healthy, but the tests will prove that later. Hopefully a box ticked.

Her temperament is spot on for me, she's bold, but not bolshy, she's not timid, but she's cautious, she loves kids, other dogs, people and she's not completely hyper. Basically her breeders bred dogs that you could take anywhere and do anything with. Isla is defintely that, so that's the temperament box ticked IMO.

Working, I'm training Isla for the Gundog Clubs Grades, where possible and she has the drive to retrieve and flush so the basics are there, but time will tell (I don't help her in this department! ). Fingers crossed, another box ticked.

And then there's showing, again time will tell as to how well she fits the standard. If we qualify for Crufts, I'd be satisfied.

If we manage all these things, only then will I seriously consider breeding.

And I think that's the way it should always be.

Hi Rips!!
Well done you and good on you for being so careful and thorough before breeding.
I have to say though, what you want to produice is probably different to what a 'et' breeder would want to rpoduce. You want a dog that is close to the breed standard, that can work and show etc. The majority of pet owners aren't too concerned about the breed standard and just want a healthy pet with a sound temprament, it's breeding for differnt things isn't it?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
You can ask Guide Dogs they will tell you that when they selected dogs on good hips only they lost temperament and vice versa, that's how they came to the conclusion that you needed an all round good dog and breed on that basis not just select one particular trait.
As far as I'm concerned anyone who breeds solely for money is a puppy farmer in my book regardless as to whether it's one litter or a 100, if that offends then so be it. I do not believe that dogs should be bred for money, it's because many do and it is acceptable that we get all these crosses at ridiulous prices.
Becky
Selected which dogs though Becky? The breeding stock? Or the working dogs?

The majority of breeders charge for a puppy...quite right too. I am happy to pay for a dog from healthy stock with a sound temprament.

I paid £15 for Biffters, he was from a preganant bitch who was rehoned by a rescue organisation. The new owner wasn't told about the preganancy. In terms of breeding he's a nightmare, his mother was stressed during her pregnancy, she was such a cross it's hard to tell what she was and the father is unknown. No health checks and an inexperienced breeder, who charged what the litter had 'cost' her.
He is a very healthy dog but has a few'issues' temprament wise, probably because of his start in life (and me!) The point is though, hhis owner still had to charge...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
You can ask Guide Dogs they will tell you that when they selected dogs on good hips only they lost temperament and vice versa, that's how they came to the conclusion that you needed an all round good dog and breed on that basis not just select one particular trait.As far as I'm concerned anyone who breeds solely for money is a puppy farmer in my book regardless as to whether it's one litter or a 100, if that offends then so be it. I do not believe that dogs should be bred for money, it's because many do and it is acceptable that we get all these crosses at ridiulous prices.
Becky
And isn't that exactly what I've been saying??????
Health tested dogs with a decent temprament.
I wonder how many Guide Dogs fit into the breed standard perfectly or would do well in a show ring???
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hi Rips!!
Well done you and good on you for being so careful and thorough before breeding.
I have to say though, what you want to produice is probably different to what a 'et' breeder would want to rpoduce. You want a dog that is close to the breed standard, that can work and show etc. The majority of pet owners aren't too concerned about the breed standard and just want a healthy pet with a sound temprament, it's breeding for differnt things isn't it?
Hi!!!

What's an "et" breeder when it's at home then?

If a pet breeder wants to produce something different from me, then they're producing an inferior dog IMO (nothing quite like blowing your own trumpet! ). First and foremost I'd breed for health and temperament, like I said earlier a dog that can be taken anywhere and done anything with etc. An easy going dog that can be part of the family, the working/showing part is just my personal interests.

Personally I see the breed standard AS the breed, it should be everything not just conformation, working ability etc. I think that's why so many breeds are in the state they're in, so many people breed for one purpose (be it money, working, showing), instead of breeding for the whole, if you get my meaning?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Hi!!!

What's an "et" breeder when it's at home then?

If a pet breeder wants to produce something different from me, then they're producing an inferior dog IMO (nothing quite like blowing your own trumpet! ). First and foremost I'd breed for health and temperament, like I said earlier a dog that can be taken anywhere and done anything with etc. An easy going dog that can be part of the family, the working/showing part is just my personal interests.

Personally I see the breed standard AS the breed, it should be everything not just conformation, working ability etc. I think that's why so many breeds are in the state they're in, so many people breed for one purpose (be it money, working, showing), instead of breeding for the whole, if you get my meaning?
Sorry...my fingers don't go as fast as my brain sometimes, I really need to check over my posts before clicking!!!
No, i do get what you're saying totally and I think I do agree underneath it all. I think in many ways, a good 'pet' breeder does just that, but without the work and show elements, if you get my drift?
I'm not talking about byb, far from it...
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Brilliant post!

Too many people forget that the breed standard isn't just about conformation

Debs
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Uhh I was top breeder in my breed - by virtue of ONE litter (hardly a constant stream!), ALL of which won at least a Res CC and this included a record breaking bitch. I don't rehome my dogs if they don't turn out to be showable! I have a very good friend in another breed who has been the top breeder for about 10 or 12 years on the trot now and many times before that, she breeds once every four or five years and she's never rehomed a dog in her life! Please don't tar all top breeders with the same brush!

Yes, normally those from people who have shown once or twice, haven't won (therefore the results MUST have been fixed in their eyes) and breed anyway!

Debs
Ahhh but you are speaking of numerically very small breeds. yes?
Dawn.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Ahhh but you are speaking of numerically very small breeds. yes?
They never used to be but they are now yes. I don't see why that matters though? It's no easier to win with an inferior dog in a numerically small breed than it is in a larger one. And homes for puppies are generally harder to find because they're not popular.

Debs
Page 4 of 54 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »