Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 08:59 AM

Dogs Left In Cars At Shows Again

I've put this in the showing section as although it is a general problem, it's dogs left in cars at shows that I'm having a go at.

I was at WELKS on Saturday. A hot day. Three calls for dogs left in cars. At every show I go to there is a call for dogs left in cars on what are generall hot days over the summer. More show societies are looking at banning exhibitors who do this but they should be named and shamed in the dog papers for all to see and banned for a considerable number of years from shows. The KC have the power to do this after all.
Most of the larger shows put on a doggy crech so for a few pounds donation your dog can be safely supervised.
A lot of the time they are dogs not entered at the show and the excuse is they can't leave them at home all day. I don't accept that to be frank, I do have a kind neighbour to attend my other dogs when I'm at a show but at the end of the day if I couldn't make provisions then I wouldn't go to the show. Is showing so important to some people that they risk a terrible death to their dogs. They should be strung up !!!!!!
Rant over, until the next show when it will happen again
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 09:03 AM
they should be named and shamed!!! show them for the "dog lovers" they really are!
Alex
xx
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2007, 09:11 AM
I agree of course dogs should never be left in cars anywhere in the heat....but at Leeds show last year it was so hot I asked my friends to take our four wolfhounds back to the van. it had the air conditioning on and emergengy blankets on all the windows to keep it cool and we had fans on the dogs...believe me it was lovely to sit inside. I was in the ring for the final line up when an announcment came on the tannoy about 2 wolfhounds in a van and that they were in distress ( they didn't look in the front half so only saw two)......they were in there for 5 mins no longer. I ran back to the van to find all four dogs fast asleep, happily enjoying the cool...the RSPCA had a tent and they were charging for space to keep the dogs in the cool and that was why they had announced the warning.
So don't believe all you hear....most dog show owners would not be so stupid.

Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I've put this in the showing section as although it is a general problem, it's dogs left in cars at shows that I'm having a go at.

I was at WELKS on Saturday. A hot day. Three calls for dogs left in cars. At every show I go to there is a call for dogs left in cars on what are generall hot days over the summer. More show societies are looking at banning exhibitors who do this but they should be named and shamed in the dog papers for all to see and banned for a considerable number of years from shows. The KC have the power to do this after all.
Most of the larger shows put on a doggy crech so for a few pounds donation your dog can be safely supervised.
A lot of the time they are dogs not entered at the show and the excuse is they can't leave them at home all day. I don't accept that to be frank, I do have a kind neighbour to attend my other dogs when I'm at a show but at the end of the day if I couldn't make provisions then I wouldn't go to the show. Is showing so important to some people that they risk a terrible death to their dogs. They should be strung up !!!!!!
Rant over, until the next show when it will happen again
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 09:20 AM
My thoughts excatly, call themselves dog lovers, my foot!
I've always had a problem leaving a dog in car, I just don't think it's right at all, OK we all have to do it at times, but I don't like it, and won't do it when the weather gets warmer.
Several years ago in a car park with no shade, it was a particularly hot day as well, there were two chow chows left in a car, one was sitting up panting madly, the other laying down not panting so much, and there was 1 window open about 1/2 inch, I was very concerned for those dogs, I reported it to the car park attendant, who said he would do what he could, but it was more than his job was worth to leave his post, luckily I spotted a policeman as we were talking, and spoke to him about it, he said to leave it with him. When we returned to the carpark 2 hours later, yes 2 hours later, we were aware of someone following us in to the car park, as we got near the car with the Chow Chows, we noticed they had been removed, and the people who were close enough to be in ear shot were saying 'where have the dogs gone', I must say I patted myself on the back for that, as I'm sure those poor dogs would have been dead if they'd been left any longer in that boiling hot car, again obviously dog lovers!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by bribiba View Post
I agree of course dogs should never be left in cars anywhere in the heat....but at Leeds show last year it was so hot I asked my friends to take our four wolfhounds back to the van. it had the air conditioning on and emergengy blankets on all the windows to keep it cool and we had fans on the dogs...believe me it was lovely to sit inside. I was in the ring for the final line up when an announcment came on the tannoy about 2 wolfhounds in a van and that they were in distress ( they didn't look in the front half so only saw two)......they were in there for 5 mins no longer. I ran back to the van to find all four dogs fast asleep, happily enjoying the cool...the RSPCA had a tent and they were charging for space to keep the dogs in the cool and that was why they had announced the warning.
good for you, some people arnt so thoughtful!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I do understand some people with vans have a great set up for the dogs and I'm not having a go at them. I'm not going on what I hear all the time. Over the years I have attended shows and seen it and reported it myself.
There are cases every year of dogs left in cars and even dogs dying at the shows. There are calls at every show and you generally read something in the papers afterwards. I have reported a couple of cars myself over the years. I do understand some are left with ample facilities and these are mainly vans with air con etc, and little if no windows but the general car doesn't have this, it's a greenhouse on wheels But it would be naive to say that it doesn't happen because it does and it's time the KC really knuckled down on it and hit the exhibitors where it hurts by banning them. I agree that the majority of exhibitors are responsible but just one dog left in a car without the right facilities is one too many.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 09:34 AM
To me if you have to leave your dog then surely it's safer to leave them at home, even if confined to one room? It doesn't take long for the temperature to reach dangerous levels even on a cloudy day. There is no excuse.
Becky
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2007, 10:41 AM
I love taking my dogs with me everywhere I go, why should I leave them at home I KNOW what is best for them and always make sure they are comfortable and happy....if someone refuses me entry with them into a shop etc..that is their loss and I don't go back. I have had my dogs in restaurants, cafe's, hospitals, shops etc and never had a bit of bother but once again it is the do gooders who complain because they want something they don't like stopped...and because of bad dog owners and ignorant people we can't take our dogs into most places and people are forced to leave them in cars.
I know people who have lost their dogs to house fires; tell them to leave their dogs at home. I am as angry as you at people who leave dogs in hot cars but sometimes they don't get a choice.
I have always said if my dog can't go then neither will I.
(but if I really have to go and can't take them I get a babysitter and hurry back)

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
To me if you have to leave your dog then surely it's safer to leave them at home, even if confined to one room? It doesn't take long for the temperature to reach dangerous levels even on a cloudy day. There is no excuse.
Becky
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:26 AM
I love taking my dogs with me everywhere I go, why should I leave them at home I KNOW what is best for them and always make sure they are comfortable and happy....if someone refuses me entry with them into a shop etc..that is their loss and I don't go back. I have had my dogs in restaurants, cafe's, hospitals, shops etc and never had a bit of bother but once again it is the do gooders who complain because they want something they don't like stopped...and because of bad dog owners and ignorant people we can't take our dogs into most places and people are forced to leave them in cars.
I know people who have lost their dogs to house fires; tell them to leave their dogs at home. I am as angry as you at people who leave dogs in hot cars but sometimes they don't get a choice.
I have always said if my dog can't go then neither will I.
(but if I really have to go and can't take them I get a babysitter and hurry back)
I do get what your saying. Dogs seem to be less and less welcome at some places. When it comes to shows though, you DO have a choice and there is no excuse for it at all to leave a dog in a car. There are normally creches, or you pay and enter the dog NOT FOR COMPETITION. The other choice is that you don't go to the show. There is no excuse for going to a show and leaving the dog in the car without the facilities. You have a choice. You don't go to the show in the first place. My dogs are far more important to me than winning any rossette at a show. If I can't make provisions then I don't enter the show in the first place. It's that simple. Yes you take a chance leaving a dog at home. I have friends who have lost their dogs in fires too, they weren't at a show, they had popped out for an hour when the fire took hold. Very few people have the life of having their dogs with them 24/7 unfortunately, but given the choice I would rather take the chance of leaving my dogs in the cool at home being checked on than stuck in a hot car all day.
No one is ever forced to leave a dog in a car. If they can't get in somewhere than you don't go in. My dogs are my first concern. My social life is second.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:30 AM
On occasions like Bribiba I have put mine back in the car when at a show and being out in the sun has been worse for them than being in the car, mine is a Kangoo with a tail gate so the back is up and it is open and they have plenty of fresh air I also leave water and a fan on and have silver blankets to cover windows though our windows are tinted. They are never left for long periods , and I think if you are sensible about it is okay for a short period. It is when you get people who leave them in cars with no windows open or open very little and do not park there car in the shade and really don't make provision for the dogs that the problem arises.

I never take an unentered dog to a show .
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >