View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 01:08 PM
I agree with you all as well. And the halls were dreadful, I had two pups on discover dogs and we took two litre bottles of water for them, we didnt get there until 11 but by 3 had to go buy mineral water for my two.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Obviously I was told this by a veterinary nurse attending but I see no reason why she would have exagerated the truth. She dealt personally with the pap owner and said she just walked in with the dead dog in her arms. Now it's just my opinion but if that was my dog and it genuinely collapsed I would want to know what happend and totally agree to a post mortem, which this person refused. Why? JMO
Probably didn't want to find out they were at fault and face the blame..
With all the crates, carriers and cages available to buy, why does anyone need to leave a dog in a car?
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Whilst I agree with everyone that this should be investigated and action taken where appropriate I cannot help thinking this nurse has broken her duty of professional confidence and even if all she tells is as it is, it should not be trial by public.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Re statistics. there was around 24000 dogs competing, I dont think that includes agility, flyball, obedience etc.. There were over 180 discover dogs stands, each with i would imagine at least 4 dogs on per day per stand, probably more.

I got a letter from the KC today about people numbers, its says 153,000 visitors and thats a record gate, that does not include exhibitors. On the last night there were over 5 million viewers on BBC2.
Dawn.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Whilst I agree with everyone that this should be investigated and action taken where appropriate I cannot help thinking this nurse has broken her duty of professional confidence and even if all she tells is as it is, it should not be trial by public.
I do agree, none of us know for sure what happened & whilst I would want a PM I know of many people who just don't like the idea of them. We need to wait & see what happens officially.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
I do get what your saying but this all happened in public so there were others around. The veterinary nurse confirmed what I had said to her as the story had already come out before it even went in the dog papers. A friend with a pap who was showing there that day, confirmed that's wot happened.
I'm not judging anyone, i'm giving my opinion given what was said, just as many do on here We have made opinions on the Crufts staff there regards the leo thread. Someone posts something that happens on here and we all judge it in our own way by putting our opinions on here. JMHO
Abbeypap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Knowing the owner of the Papillon that died at crufts, can I just say please do not prejudge before the full facts are known.
She is a lovely lady who would not do anything to harm, her dogs much less leave them in a situation that would cause a death.
She has posted on another list the facts of what happened and if she says yes I wll copy it here for you to read.

Joan
Abbeypap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2007, 10:57 AM
An email from the owner of the Papillon who died at crufts.
Copied with her permission from a breed specific list.

I would like to thank everybody for being so kind about the death of my dog after Crufts – so many people have rung and sent cards that I am overwhelmed.

I’d like just to put the record straight, after ‘Dog World’ got everything SO wrong.

The little dog I lost was ‘Frankie’, also known as ‘Lop-Ears’, as, although one of the prettiest dogs I have bred, he couldn’t decide whether he was a Pap or a Phalene. After Crufts, I went back to my caravan and let the dogs out which had been with me but not shown (they all travel with me, as most people know – hence the caravan). They were all fine, including Frankie, and played in the caravan for about an hour before I decided to feed them, and then make for home. Very strangely, Frankie did not want his dinner (a first time, I think), he just ate the meat and left the biscuit – so I put him in his cage, in case he was sick, and so as the puppies did not hassle him if he was. I cleared up, put the other dogs away in their boxes, and got the van ready for the drive home. I looked at Frankie, who was pressed up against the door of the cage: I thought perhaps he had been sick, and things needed clearing up. I got him out and he was very lethargic and not really focussing. It was a dreadful shock: I ran back into the NEC to see if there was a vet still on duty, and luckily Steve Dean was there. He was marvellous, and the care he and his nurses gave was instant – I’ll never forget how good they were. But they weren’t able to do anything, Frankie I think had stopped breathing before they got him to the surgery. Nobody knows the cause. Although he had been a bit difficult to get going when he was born, he was checked by the vet when he had his vaccinations at 5 months and pronounced perfectly normal - he had not had a day’s illness in the 18 months of his life, had always been happy and active and fond of his food. No explanation, and I didn’t want the nastiness of a post-mortem, which after all wouldn’t bring him back. Steve Dean insisted on carrying him out to the caravan for me, so that I wouldn’t have to do it alone: he was so kind. I took Frankie’s little body home, trying not to let the other dogs see: we’ve buried him in the orchard of (removed) (where I worked for 22 years, and know the garden staff well!), so he’s in as good a place as I can think of - if not alive and bouncing round with us all.

That’s all, really. After a few days I wrote a letter to Dog World to publicly thank Steve Dean and his team of nurses, asking for it to be put on the Letters page of the next issue. You can imagine my horror when I read the melodramatic article which they had concocted ‘3 Dogs Die at Crufts’, quoting from my letter (as though they were interviewing me), giving credit to the wrong vet – I’ve never seen Trevor Turner – and, worst horror of all, giving the wrong name to the poor dog (I suppose they just looked in the catalogue and assumed this was the dog that I had been showing). I most certainly did not want any publicity – specially to be part of Crufts’ statistics – this was so misleading, as Frankie had not been part of Crufts Show at all.

So this is just to put the record straight: the dog I lost was the brother of (Removed) . His name was (Removed) - a lovely little dog, one ear up and one ear down, my favourite dog, shown briefly and now extremely missed. Thank you to everyone for your sympathy.

Owner (Name Removed)

I hope this is enough to satisfy peoples concerns about the Papillon involved and quashes any other rumours.

Joan
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

23-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Joan How sad I am so very sorry for the lady. bad enough to loose her little dog but to have the wrong story printed she must be devastated, If you are in touch with her please pass on my sympathy, as you know I have a soft spot for paps Eunice

PS so glad you have set the record straight.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 04:54 PM
If that is what happened then sympathies. That is not how the nurse who helped treat the dog recalls it. Guess we'll never know
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >