Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2007, 02:39 PM

(spay) lower risk of mamory tumours ?

is there any info out there about that spaying reduces the risks of mamory tumours ..............i am asking on behalf of a neighbour.
i don't have any info myself to share as my dads dog is spayed and had them removed last year but sadly has some back now

any info would be great to pass on
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-02-2007, 02:42 PM
There is some info in SB's article here on Dogsey. Not sure if its what you are looking for

Click Here
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi Inca there is lots of info on the net about spaying in connection with reducing the incidence of mammary tumours. Here is just one piece of info from a dog cancer site.

Female dogs are at high risk for developing malignant mammary tumors. Mammary tumors are the most common types of tumors in non-spayed female dogs. However, spaying is very effective way of reducing the risk of mammary cancer in dogs. One out of four intact female dogs over 4 years of age will probably develop one or more breast tumors. Intact females are seven times more likely to develop mammary cancer than a spayed dog. An intact female dog may develop a tumor in any one of her ten mammary glands and over half will present with more than one tumor. While 40 percent to 50 percent of these tumors are malignant, complete surgical removal is often curative.

http://www.pet-screen.com/web/PETSCR/index.cfm?dir=5083

it is generally accepted that the older the bitch is when is spayed the less protection is afforded. The best person for your friend to discuss this with is her vet.