Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

19-07-2006, 01:38 PM

"Chittering" teeth

My brother is staying on holiday with me and has brought his old dog along too. The dog is about 15 he thinks, he got him as a rescue 14 yrs ago and he was fully grown then.

These last few months the dog has started "chittering" his teeth, I have only seen him do it once and he does seem more or less normal although my brother says on occasions he looks a bit "blank", and he was a bit worried it might be a form of "fit". I am more inclined to think it is old age and perhaps a nerve in the jaw region causing it, but any advice, opinions etc. would be most welcome. The dog does have fairly severe arthritis now and needs help getting about and is on medication from the Vet for that. Kath
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Can you think what was happening the twice you noticed this, were you eating, was the dog being petted or groomed, are there other animals in the home, where was the dog at the time.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

19-07-2006, 05:54 PM
No, I have only seen him do it once, my brother and his wife say Toby has been doing it for a few months now. When I saw him doing it he has just come outside to join us having just woken up, no bitches or any other animals around, no food, and he is a very picky feeder at the best of times, His teeth are in excellent condition and his gums show no signs of any problems. I've felt all round his mouth and neck for any swellings and cannot find anything, and while I was doing that Toby wasn't bothered at all.

I was hoping that a Dogweb member might have experienced the same problem in an old dog and would have an answer.. Kath
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi Kath
two of my dogs have done this, not long term though, my young male (kaos ) used to do it on the odd occasion, he was only young at the time about 6 months old, he only did it when training, I was told then it was something to do with wanting to please,? which made me question my training and think that he was being confused in some way, and that he was worried, then a few months ago my 3 year old bitch (tegan) did the same thing, she was looking out of the window and seen my partner comeing in the truck, she loves the truck and likes to go the long haul trips with Douglas yes she is loopy and I assumed then it was due to excitement,
my friend had a spitz and he did it all the time when he was younger the vet thought it had something to do with a nerve in the jaw, he is getting on in years now and it has stopped compleatly. so not sure this helps but i think it,s a excited nervy thing in dogs that do it now and again, not so sure if it is something that happens all the time,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi Kath I think you are referring to an action I have always thought of as 'chuddering' . Dogs do this for a number of reasons, it is most often seen when dogs have scented a bitch in season or been washing themselves, in this instance I think it is done as a means of 'investigating a taste' much as humans sometimes smack their lips together when tasting to incorporate more air.

It is also something that old dogs do a lot, my old girl nearly 16 years old does it a lot most frequently when food is being prepared/in anticipation of a meal/when she has been left alone and comes to greet me/after sleep.

Quite why elderly dogs do this I don't know but I would guess it is to do with deteriorating muscle control which may be more pronounced when dogs have been sleeping or have a heightened emotional response .