Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 11:12 AM

Housework experts - *Sponge Clean*

I admit I am useless at housework

If a garment says "sponge clean only" - what exactly does this mean? Can it be completely immersed in water or do I have to dab at it with a wet sponge or only a damp sponge? Can I use washing powder and can I rinse it off afterwards or does it have to be sponged off?

Ta!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 12:08 PM
hee hee - I am a crap housewife- I just chuck everything in the washing machine regardless of label guides !!

I recently chucked a sheepskin rug in the washing machine and it came out lovely - it was only a cheapie out of Ikea and I wasnt going to pay to get it dry cleaned - it would have been cheaper to get another out of Ikea !!!
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 12:51 PM
For years I have just chucked stuff in the washing machine regardless of labelling and have never had a problem - until last week! My lovely Laura Ashley cardy would now fit the dog - not his colour though

Sponge clean to me would mean - chuck it in the machine. I've found that as long as something delicate is on a cool cycle, nothing much goes wrong. But, like my cardy, there is always the exception to the rules. Perhaps you could hand wash it?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi LS it means just that, wipe with a damp cloth only and do not immerse in water. If you do place whatever it is in water there is a risk it may shrink or disintigrate.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by minky
For years I have just chucked stuff in the washing machine regardless of labelling and have never had a problem - until last week! My lovely Laura Ashley cardy would now fit the dog - not his colour though

Sponge clean to me would mean - chuck it in the machine. I've found that as long as something delicate is on a cool cycle, nothing much goes wrong. But, like my cardy, there is always the exception to the rules. Perhaps you could hand wash it?

Aa h a woman after me own heart eh Jules ??
Poor OH he quite often wonders why stuff doesnt fit him anymore - i just tell him he is getting fat when it could just be my lax washing methods !!LOl
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog
Aa h a woman after me own heart eh Jules ??
Poor OH he quite often wonders why stuff doesnt fit him anymore - i just tell him he is getting fat when it could just be my lax washing methods !!LOl
Definately I tell mine he's putting the beef on too LOL
There's more to life than following instructions, I prefer staffie snugs personally.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks Mini
Hmmm looks like most of you are as 'good' at this sort of thing as I am
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 03:16 PM
I used to work in the rag trade and i found out that the shops used to do a deal with the dry cleaning companies, so all the labels with the dry cleaning mark were sewn into the clothes .

I always think if its a prized piece then hand wash, if not then chuck it in the machine. If it shrinks then blame the machine for going wrong
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum
I used to work in the rag trade and i found out that the shops used to do a deal with the dry cleaning companies, so all the labels with the dry cleaning mark were sewn into the clothes .
Oooh I've often wondered about all these 'dry clean only' labels!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 05:43 PM
sponge clean to me would mean chuck it in the washing machine and if it is ruined chuck it out, it isn't practical....lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >