Our sister sites
Our sister sites
missarahnicole
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2015, 03:00 PM

8 year old Dachshund aggressively barks at other dogs, chases cats

Hello!

I am currently watching 2 Dachshunds for a friend for 10 weeks. During this time, I want to correct some of their bad behaviors as well as their weight problem. Dudley is 4 years old, and my friend has had him since he was a puppy. Reese is approximately 8 years old, and was rescued about 5 months ago from a home where he was kept in a crate most of the time. I have no idea what his history is. Reese and Dudley get along fine, at first there was nipping and possessiveness between the two, but that has since stopped.

Reese is a well behaved dog in my opinion. He responds well to my commands and is very loving. I have 5 cats, all of whom are very relaxed and passive. Reese is naturally curious about them, and approaches them quickly, which turns into him chasing them. He will also bark at them if they walk past the baby gate, which I use to keep the dogs in or out of a particular area of the house for the safety of them and the cats until this is resolved.

During walks, Reese will aggressively bark at other dogs that we pass. Sometimes much more ferociously than others. During that time, he will not listen to any of my commands to sit or stop barking. There have been a few instances where he barked at a dog and then approached it and stopped barking, but if the other dog makes any sudden movements, Reese will get defensive and bark again and sometimes nip at the air. He has never bitten another dog since he was rescued, not sure about his past. However this gives me hope that I can help him overcome this behavior.

My concern is that I do not know how to safely and appropriately socialize this dog. I have looked online for advice, but it is very scarce or too broad, and I know Dachshunds have very different personalities than other dogs. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,

Sarah
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Sarah, I hope you don't mind me asking but why are you taking responsibility for trying to change these dogs behaviours? You are doing a great favour to your friend for looking after them but I don't feel it is up to you to 'train' them. However from what little you have posted I don't think they sound too bad. My neighbour had a dachshund and she did bark a lot, at humans as well as other dogs. Perhaps it is in their nature to be yappy. I would just go with your instincts and keep them on the lead when out.
missarahnicole
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Im taking responsbility because I love these dogs and want to help them be the best dogs they can be. Plus I love my friend and want to help educate him to do the same. Plus its my goal in life to work with animals Plus, Im good at it!