View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2015, 05:35 AM
Boy, it does bother me when people put themselves in this kind of danger. I hope the bites aren't bad. Your husband is being very patient, but I wonder how much he has left for this? At this point, I don't think there is anything left besides a behaviorist. I hope the rescues etc. can help you with this. I'm afraid I have no further advice. I don't think conventional methods work the same on wolf mixed dogs in some cases. I really wish you good luck, however, and hope you get this sorted out.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 05:38 AM
When you say bit, how severe is this bite? Is it a warning nip or are we talking full-on blood-drawing bitage?

I know any kind of bite is a serious issue. I'm hoping you can find a good trainer soon.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 05:45 AM
Qualifier: I'm asking in part because our own rescue Akita used to chew the living heck out of me. Seriously... if you'd been a social worker you'd have taken one look at me and asked me about rescue programs. In his case it was probably stupid humans who taught him that rough play was funny and cute... but you sound like you know the difference between rough play and a meaningful bite.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2015, 05:47 AM
Same thing I'm wondering. If the bites are drawing blood, then it may be time to draw the line. That's where I give up on a dog, when he bites and draws blood. It's dangerous and the risk of infection etc. just makes this one where I give up. I won't put myself and my family in that position. Some things are more important to me than others.

That is extremely serious and though I don't believe the hype that dogs get a taste for blood, I know that bites that are drawing blood say that the dog means business and he won't be stopping without some serious intervention. It's also important to know WHY the dog is biting. The situations surrounding the bites could be key.

I'd hope the bites aren't serious and her husband isn't enduring serious blood drawing bites left and right, I don't see the sense in that at all.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Same thing I'm wondering. If the bites are drawing blood, then it may be time to draw the line. That's where I give up on a dog, when he bites and draws blood. It's dangerous and the risk of infection etc. just makes this one where I give up. I won't put myself and my family in that position. Some things are more important to me than others.

That is extremely serious and though I don't believe the hype that dogs get a taste for blood, I know that bites that are drawing blood say that the dog means business and he won't be stopping without some serious intervention. It's also important to know WHY the dog is biting. The situations surrounding the bites could be key.

I'd hope the bites aren't serious and her husband isn't enduring serious blood drawing bites left and right, I don't see the sense in that at all.
I wouldn't be so quick. Taji did draw blood from me, several times, but he never meant it and I'm not sure he even knew it. He had some very serious issues and people did warn me... look at him today and you'd wonder why they ever. One thing I knew then was that I was NOT giving up on this dog. Now I have to tell people that no, Akitas are not suitable for first time owners; I know he's sweet and all but...

Let's listen to the OP and try to make sense of this behaviour.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2015, 07:04 AM
Yes, I realize many people don't act as quickly as I do with biting dogs. I personally just wouldn't be able to do it and I think a line must be drawn somewhere for the safety of everyone. I think a professional trainer can help, but I don't think that they can do it alone.

BTW, I scar badly and my father cannot fight off infections etc. so my reasons for not dealing with a blood drawing dog are kinda different most likely. It's important for me to say that. I can't risk bites here.

BTW, Nigredo was banned from registering with a therapy program because he was listed as "an akita or any mix thereof" which he ISN'T but they see a large black dog with a curly tail and think AKITA FIGHTING DOG, and have a heart attack.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Awaiting Abyss View Post
He bit my husband three more times today. I haven't found a trainer yet, but I've emailed high content rescues and breeders.

I know wolf/dog body language. That is why I know lowering ears in a certain manner is used by wolves toward their leader wolves out of respect/submission. Ears back, with a grin and head lowered when approaching a higher ranking wolf is a form of submission.
I'm sorry to hear he has bitten your husband, Can you explain the circumstances in which he bit . Did he give any warning ,? did you notice what body language signal he gave ?
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
Let's listen to the OP and try to make sense of this behaviour.
Yes , absolutely. I really hope AA can find the help she needs in the real world so to speak. I really feel for this family and the dog too.

It must be very worrying and frightening for her and its easy for us to say do this and do that when we are not there .

I have handled aggressive GSDs and found it best to avoid confrontation or put them in a position where they feel the need to defend but that obviously is only short term to protect yourself. You have to find other ways to get the dog to do what you want if being assertive fails.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
It must be very worrying and frightening for her and its easy for us to say do this and do that when we are not there .
Yes, yes and yes again. We're not there-- we can only offer what we can from our own experience, and hope it helps.

AA, we've got your back here.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Awaiting Abyss View Post
He bit my husband three more times today. I haven't found a trainer yet, but I've emailed high content rescues and breeders.

I know wolf/dog body language. That is why I know lowering ears in a certain manner is used by wolves toward their leader wolves out of respect/submission. Ears back, with a grin and head lowered when approaching a higher ranking wolf is a form of submission.
You are absolutely right re the ears - they don't so much lower the ears as stick them out to the side - a cross between lowering and what we used to call "Mr Nice Guy Ears!".

Re the biting - when you say bite, do you mean puncturing the skin and/or drawing blood, or just "wolf kisses"?
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »