View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Ah no Tang, that's a shame. Is there nothing else similar around?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Ah no Tang, that's a shame. Is there nothing else similar around?
Well it was just one of my hairbrained ideas really Florence. And it's much further out of town proper of course.

I just wanted to know how much they wanted for it and whether it was short or long term and also whether they were interested in selling as well. (Since the property market collapse here lots of owners are just trying to rent them out as they are not selling or in the vain hope prices pick up again). As my eldest son is nagging me to get on with finding out about him buying my 'old' apartment (the one two doors up from me now) saying he could use it as a retirement home.

But I know he is only thinking of me. So I thought if he is determined to have something near me - perhaps I'd look at something that would better suit him (he windsurfs) and then, well I got a bit carried away. I usually take AGES to consider all angles. Could have been in this apartment a year before I was in if I'd pulled my finger out the minute I saw it empty.

I'm still toying with moving to mainland Europe. I think the dilemma is that I always have to have something to sort of 'look forward to' some plan for the future and all that but am INNATELY LAZY too lol!

Don't laugh but - I am forming a plan to visit Romania with my Romanian pal Lucia and visit her home town on the coast. And even going to look at property there (safer with a local on hand).
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I'm still toying with moving to mainland Europe. I think the dilemma is that I always have to have something to sort of 'look forward to' some plan for the future and all that but am INNATELY LAZY too lol!
Yep that's me, itchy feet my Mum used to say

But I am not innately lazy I just suffer from a lifelong illness called 'inertia-itis' there's no cure apparently
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Tang what made you move to Cyprus indeed what made you leave England? I think it is a lovely way to live.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Tang what made you move to Cyprus indeed what made you leave England? I think it is a lovely way to live.
My eldest son had just flown to the Caribbean to work an a 2-3 yr project for the Caymanian Island Govt. My youngest, Jenny was just planning her gap year(s) yeah she took two! A round the world trip - Singapore, NZ, AUS and all that. I didn't fancy being down in deepest darkest Devon where I'd lived for the past 10 yrs on my own with Jen and pets (but had various house guests in the form of language students, boarders etc)

I suddenly thought HEY I THINK I WILL TAKE A GAP YEAR OR TWO AS WELL! I was about 18 months off retirement age but had enough put by to survive that long before pension kicked in. Sold up and invested the proceeds and headed for Cyprus because (like a lot of ex pat Brits) it appealed on account of being in a far flung land (not mainland Europe) but where almost everyone speaks English, all signs in English as well as Greek and they drive on the left, and it was in the EU (just). So I set about making sure dawg was fit to fly and got her rabies and passport and off we went!

I'd rented a little place right in the centre for a year via the internet sight unseen. Got a got deal for paying 1 yrs rent up front.

Still here 7 (or maybe 8?) years later! I settled in better than lots who had planned their 'life in the sun' for years. I suppose because I didn't have any 'fairytale' in my head or any expectations at all really. Didn't even know whether I'd stay longer than a year to begin with.

Do miss the kids of course but see them 3 or 4 times a year and to be honest when I lived in Cornwall I didn't see them much more than that. It took almost as long to get to Cornwall from London as it does to fly to Cyprus! And I don't expect them to spend ALL their holiday time with mum. (Although they do seem to!)

Now Jen's working full time and not over here with me for 5 or 6 months of the year tis me going back to UK more than vice versa.

Which is why I am thinking of a CHANGE again!

Never did retire - started working again after 9 months after being asked to help out building an ecommerce website by a pal (still working for that bloke) then moved to Larnaca and got gradually involved in property management. In fact it is oft pointed out to me that I probably know more people in Cyprus now than I ever did in the UK having spent half my life in London and the rat race.

But the WEATHER. I absolutely love being able to swan about in a T shirt in Jan, Feb and March. My bones love it too. And I get so depressed and achey if I am back in the UK for extended periods of bad weather now.

So even if I do leave Cyprus - I think I will always now live where at least summer is GUARANTEED even if (unlike here) they have winters too!

And I love living near the sea where I can see the sea and not just see it but be close enough to 'smell' it too. Lucky enough to have done that in UK for the 15 yrs before moving here and cannot imagine living where I can't easily get to the edges of the land. Something about even just standing and looking out to sea from the shore that I will always love and the 'big sky' that goes with living on the coast too.

Airfares to Cyprus have risen astronomically in recent years during peak periods. That's a bug bear for me. And it being so expensive to take Bella with me. If I was on mainland Europe she could come in car and cross by sea for fifty quid or thereabouts instead of over £1K on a sodding airplane in a CAGE!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-03-2014, 08:28 PM
And I love living near the sea where I can see the sea and not just see it but be close enough to 'smell' it too. Lucky enough to have done that in UK for the 15 yrs before moving here and cannot imagine living where I can't easily get to the edges of the land. Something about even just standing and looking out to sea from the shore that I will always love and the 'big sky' that goes with living on the coast too.
I've always loved he sea too, here in CZ there is NO SEA, the nearest beach is about 400 miles away, you had only yourself to consider, I came here 'cos it was where my wife wanted to retire too what could I do
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I've always loved he sea too, here in CZ there is NO SEA, the nearest beach is about 400 miles away, you had only yourself to consider, I came here 'cos it was where my wife wanted to retire too what could I do
I agree. You had no choice or options. If your wife wanted that - your fate was SEALED!

I remember a pal of mine moving away from Newlyn and telephoning me to ask me to hang the phone out the window so she could hear the racket the seagulls make because she missed it!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2014, 08:13 AM
My eldest son had just flown to the Caribbean to work an a 2-3 yr project for the Caymanian Island Govt. My youngest, Jenny was just planning her gap year(s) yeah she took two! A round the world trip - Singapore, NZ, AUS and all that. I didn't fancy being down in deepest darkest Devon where I'd lived for the past 10 yrs on my own with Jen and pets (but had various house guests in the form of language students, boarders etc)

I suddenly thought HEY I THINK I WILL TAKE A GAP YEAR OR TWO AS WELL! I was about 18 months off retirement age but had enough put by to survive that long before pension kicked in. Sold up and invested the proceeds and headed for Cyprus because (like a lot of ex pat Brits) it appealed on account of being in a far flung land (not mainland Europe) but where almost everyone speaks English, all signs in English as well as Greek and they drive on the left, and it was in the EU (just). So I set about making sure dawg was fit to fly and got her rabies and passport and off we went!

I'd rented a little place right in the centre for a year via the internet sight unseen. Got a got deal for paying 1 yrs rent up front.

Still here 7 (or maybe 8?) years later! I settled in better than lots who had planned their 'life in the sun' for years. I suppose because I didn't have any 'fairytale' in my head or any expectations at all really. Didn't even know whether I'd stay longer than a year to begin with.

Do miss the kids of course but see them 3 or 4 times a year and to be honest when I lived in Cornwall I didn't see them much more than that. It took almost as long to get to Cornwall from London as it does to fly to Cyprus! And I don't expect them to spend ALL their holiday time with mum. (Although they do seem to!)

Now Jen's working full time and not over here with me for 5 or 6 months of the year tis me going back to UK more than vice versa.

Never did retire - started working again after 9 months after being asked to help out building an ecommerce website by a pal (still working for that bloke) then moved to Larnaca and got gradually involved in property management. In fact it is oft pointed out to me that I probably know more people in Cyprus now than I ever did in the UK having spent half my life in London and the rat race.

But the WEATHER. I absolutely love being able to swan about in a T shirt in Jan, Feb and March. My bones love it too. And I get so depressed and achey if I am back in the UK for extended periods of bad weather now.

So even if I do leave Cyprus - I think I will always now live where at least summer is GUARANTEED even if (unlike here) they have winters too!

Airfares to Cyprus have risen astronomically in recent years during peak periods. That's a bug bear for me. And it being so expensive to take Bella with me. If I was on mainland Europe she could come in car and cross by sea for fifty quid or thereabouts instead of over £1K on a sodding airplane in a CAGE!

That's interesting its something I would/will do God Willing not for many years yet as Mom and Dad well Dad does NOT
leave England (he fought in WWII and had to but promised he would not again)
I have a friend who with her husband built a life in Majorca and built a villa then as time came where he could retire left business with his son he died. she will not stay in Majorca now but goes on occasion and is trying to sell the villa but Spain is not selling. But she loves it and it is her link with him so I do not think she is serious she says it to please the children I think.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2014, 09:24 AM

That's a lovely story!
I've been in the UK for about the same time now (7/8years, but with an interruption of going to Canada etc.)
and when I first came here (for uni) everybody kinda smirked and said 'you'll be back, don't worry, give it a year or two' LOL.
I'm not saying I will never go back but at the moment it doesn't look like it. It's only when I think about having a kid (which is not in the near future anyway!!) that I think I'd want her to grow up with my mum around.. But who knows..

Tang if you want to move to mainland Europe can I make a suggestion?
The Ticino in Switzerland is beautiful and has a mediterranean climate, we used to go on holiday there a lot. It's got lots of lakes, mountains and cute villages.
Or if you are looking for something a bit more connected to the world: Montreux!
Many people there speak English, it's close to Geneva (with an Airport), the climate obviously isn't as nice as cyprus but the town is beautiful! And every year they have the Montreux Jazz Festival which is a great festival with some excellent bands playing and lots of free music.

https://www.google.ch/search?q=ticin...e=off&tbm=isch

Anyway, just for you to consider
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-03-2014, 10:11 AM
I agree. You had no choice or options. If your wife wanted that - your fate was SEALED!
I am reminded of the famous 'class' sketch with Ronnie Corbett at the end saying "I know my place"
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >