Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Trying to find a new flat/house.. with a dog

I feel really frustrated right now. We've been looking to move to a different flat, one with a garden and a bit more room! But it's soo difficult because we have a dog!

What is it with estate agents just not even considering someone with a dog? They don't even let me talk to the landlord and see if we can negociate! Why does everything have to go through estate agents anyway? They charge the most horrendeous fees (£420 'admin' fee for 2 people, £150 guarantor fee because we're self employed.. never mind the fact that I have no family here that could be a guarantor.. and nearly a grand deposit!) and they're absolutely useless.
We went to one estate agency and it was a bunch of 15 year olds 'running' the place, they had no clue what to do and their only good review on google was written by one of their girlfriends.

I really want to move, we really need a garden but there is literally NO flat our house within our price range and size that will allow a dog!! Not even with an additional deposit!

I guess we have to BUY a house. But of course.. I have enough money to buy a house, after all, the economy here is brilliant and I earn TONS of money!

Oh don't worry, there are flats out there that let me move in with a dog. But they all have mould on the walls, the tiniest concrete 'gardens' and look like they're about to fall apart. Yes, I want to live there.

Anyway, rant over. If anyone knows a private landlord in South Bristol with a 1-2 bedroom flat/house with garden that allows pets.. PLEASE TELL ME!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2014, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't bother with agents, why don't you check out your local flats for rent online? When I was looking for people to rent, I saw hundreds of flats offered online, in my local area some of which stated they would accept pets.

I can't remember which one was the best, but it was something like *rooms for rent* or *flats for rent* and then you just put in your area?

Good lick, I know it can be a nightmare with pets, but as you say, it would be so much better if you can negotiate with the actual landlord about this, and if you do it the private way, then you get to speak to them don't you.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks Helena. I've been on zoopla, rightmove and gumtree so far but most of them are through estate agents. I'll have a look out for that website you said though, thanks!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2014, 11:55 AM
There are now lots of online companies offering them now where people have put them up, and they have the *flats wanted* sections along with the *flats for rent*. Even the ones I found for just *rooms to let* had flats on there too. Good luck Florence.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Anyway, rant over. If anyone knows a private landlord in South Bristol with a 1-2 bedroom flat/house with garden that allows pets.. PLEASE TELL ME!
Estate agents OMG tell me about it. I just bought a house and the estate agent was exactly like you describe. They wrote to me and seriously a two year old could have done better, full of spellling mistakes, and the writer had copied and pasted and forget to delete something so it looked like I had been refused a mortgage, for heavens sake I wasn't even looking for a mortgage God willing I will never ever have to deal with an estate agent again

I would agree with Helena and try to approach landlords directly.

You could also look on here:-
http://landlordzone.com/

There's a 'forum' section* which is for landlords and tennants, I remember one landlord describing how he was shot in the head and nearly died while collecting rent from a tennant in the Bristol area so after that I would have thought a dog would be no problem

Of course I can't guarantee that he is still posting there but it's quite a useful forum because tennants can ask questions about their landlords and vice versa, and anyone looking for a place usually gets a response.

I don't visit anymore and I recall that the forum was kind of 'seperate' from the main web site and I think (not sure) you needed to register twice or something, it confused me a bit but I'm sure you can work it out and I did get there in the end so it can't be that difficult
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Is this any help?
http://www.letswithpets.org.uk/find-...nce=20&js_off=
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks everybody, I will try the various things suggested!

I agree that going private is best, but it seems like most people rent their property out through and estate agent these days, which makes it so difficult.
I've also been suggested to go to an estate agent's office with my dog so they can meet her and see how 'well behaved' she is. This wiould only work if she actually behaved well that day
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Thanks everybody, I will try the various things suggested!

I agree that going private is best, but it seems like most people rent their property out through and estate agent these days, which makes it so difficult.
I've also been suggested to go to an estate agent's office with my dog so they can meet her and see how 'well behaved' she is. This wiould only work if she actually behaved well that day
That's not a bad idea. When I was looking on the net for a one year let in Cyprus that would allow a dog there were none. No landlords want dogs and all ads say 'no pets'.

So I attached the cutest piccie of my darling CKCS to my emails and the first reply I got back said 'no one will object to a little sweetie like that' yay!

And the fact is that most don't object to one small dog here but we even have LAWS that govern how many pets you can keep in what type of accomm (even if you own it) and depending on whether it is urban or rural.

I insist NO DOGS but have rented out twice to people with dogs. My dog's best pal lives next door!

Problem is you can say 'one dog allowed' and you don't know whether you will end up with one well behaved, non destructive, reasonably well trained dog. Or some huge barking lunatic who damages the property and drives all the neighbours crazy.

On the bright side - when tenants are in short supply a lot of landlords relax their rules.

Oh and as for agents (I won't start my rant about those!) when my daughter was asked by her landlord if the house was properly cleaned before she moved in, she commented it was OK apart from a very strong smell of whacky baccy and quite a lot of dog hair but she was used to dogs. Landlord said 'BUT I DON'T ALLOW DOGS!' So his agent had gone against his wishes and - cheeky sod - the dog was even in the house running around when my daughter viewed it as the previous tenants were still in there at the time.

But just yesterday I read a couple of posts on here from people worried about the damage their dog was inflicting on their property as it was 'rented'. So you can't really blame landlords for some of these rules.

Sadly I think it will be the tattier properties you will find aren't so picky but you could always spend a few bob brightening them up yourself.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Good advice from Tang (as always)

Unfortunately at this time there is a shortage of rental properties so landlords can pick and choose and it's much easier to say 'no pets' and still have a choice of tenant.

But, all landlords are looking for a reliable tenant who will keep the property clean and make good any damage they (or their pets) cause.

So getting to meet with the potential landlord with your dog is what you should aim for. If (s)he still refuses then (s)he is probably not the type of landlord you want anyway.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Hi Losos. Yes I know it's the opposite in UK for renting to what it is here at the mo.

And almost all landlords are using agents even if only to find the original tenant and not to do the ongoing management.

They want HUGE security deposits, proof of earnings, utility bills, addresses for past 3 or more years.

I remember a time when it was not just no dogs but no KIDS either!

Lots of them are afraid they will end up with tenants who get in, stop paying the rent and then have it take them years thro' the courts to get them out.

Gumtree has already been suggested. I will ask among my 3 (who all rent) if they have any suggestions.

But the reason for my seeing to the export of the poodle was because the owners couldn't find anywhere at all near London that would allow dogs.

I had to laugh a couple of years ago when my daughter asked one landlord about pets - he said a goldfish would be OK lol!

Well outside London and the big cities you have a better chance but I still think if you go for a tattier property you might be in luck and it will of course be a cheaper rent so you could deal with some damp probs yourself.

I had a terrible damp back spare room here - landlord offered to get it all sorted. I declined. I wanted it done properly. Not wiped down with bleach and have a ten quid of whitewash type paint sploshed on it!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »