Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2013, 08:28 PM

Dropbox

Does anyone use it and if so, is it as easy to use as it looks?
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I use it and yes it is as easy to use as it looks.

I find it really handy for transferring photo's of the work dogs to use at work. Every evening my phone automatically uploads the photo's taken that day which means I can access them all anywhere whereas I used to have to email them to myself which was a right pain in the rear!

I do have to pay for more data usage though as I take a ridiculous amount of photo's...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks. I have downloaded it but as yet have not had any need for it - Effie still has a couple of things to transfer to my new computer from my previous hard drive, but he did suggest that I install Dropbox although I am not sure why because I already back everything up on my external hard drives.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2013, 09:51 PM
No worries.

I suppose it can't hurt to have a back up on the Internet should anything happen to your external hard drives. I only use it for photo's and I'd be inconsolable if I lost them.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-03-2013, 10:43 PM
I have two external hard drives, one of which is set to do a full backup at noon everyday, the other, a pocket external hard drive [but apparently with a greater capacity] I manually run maybe two or three times a week.

My main external hard drive has just had to be replaced as it had a minor problem but it had lasted maybe four or more years and still had not lost anything. The pocket one seems to be going fine still.

Everything that is on Firefox can easily be retrieved - at the moment there are two folders missing from Thunderbird which Effie will come and sort out as he cloned everything from my previous hard drive when he built this new one. He transferred everything a couple of days ago but as I say there are two folders on Thunderbird which are missing. He has them but just needs the time to come round and find and transfer them.

I am not sure why he suggested Dropbox to me, but having downloaded and installed it I have already saved a couple of things on it - just to see if I know how to do it and how to find things on it. And so far success. Slight overkill really as I had them saved in Bookmarks, and Xmarks keeps a record of all my bookmarks!

Oh well - my new computer is way OTT really [but it is extremely fast!] and I would hate to lose what has been saved on it [or previous ones] since my very first computer.
lindaisy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2013, 01:12 AM
I use dropbox and it is so very simple to use and there is an option to share folder with people or you can simply send them a public link and they can open docs and pics without you having to attach pics to emails etc....you just attach the link, saves on space and if you have dropbox on a few devices it syncs them all as soon as they are attached to the internet.

http://db.tt/3rFvbp4B

I have attached a public link above...copy into browser and all being
well you should see a picture of my daisy.

Sent this link from my tablet......dropbox is a bit quirky on android but works okay....better on pc.
Linda.....dropbox user
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Dropbox is fab! I use it a lot as I can take pics at home in Essex, add them to Dropbox, open them at my flat in Hants to edit and upload to FB etc, access them at work to change my desktop background and can even access them from the app on my phone, and my Instagram app gives me the option to use pics from my dropbox account so it saves memory on my phone too. And means I don't have to carry a memory stick or flash card reader around with me.
Highly recommend And the more you upload the more storage you get, up to a limit.