Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 11:05 AM

Helppppp

Every time I switch my lap top on, or change web sites all I get is a blue screen for about 2 mins.
Eventually it loads.
I have cleared cache and cookies.
Is my laptop on the way out

Malka, HELP please!!!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Does the blue screen have any white writing on it?
Meg
Supervisor

14-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi Jenny I am probably the least technical person on here so when something odd happens I Google it
Have you got windows?

http://www.windowsanswers.net/articl...Fe3KtAodBkgARA
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Thank you ladies, I got in such a huff with the bloomin thing this morning I switched off

Just switched back on and everything is perfect I have bookmarked that page Mini for future reference.
Malka no, no white writing, nuffink just a pretty blue screen.
I will carry on for this evening, if all is well, then so be it, if it goes again I will take it to the PC hospital just outside of town.

So if I disappear you will all know why
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

14-01-2013, 03:23 PM
I disappeared because my internet went off. So did all my telephones so I could not phone for help.

I then discovered that I cannot call either my telephone company or my ISP on my mobile phone - which apparently only wants to make calls to people in my saved phone book.

Eventually managed to get hold of my neighbour who called the phone company from her house, and someone from there called me on my mobile. One hour of extremely difficult and almost impossible instructions later, ie remove all telephones from all sockets, and I eventually have my internet back plus one landline and one cordless.

He got very stroppy with me because I was taking so long to do it all and when I said I could not keep doing this, nor could I take one of the dead landline phones and try it in the socket that works, because he did not seem to "get" it that to go from one end of my bungalow in my chair takes time as I have to go through right-angled turns to get to the various sockets.

He also did not seem to understand that in order to keep unplugging and plugging back again I needed two hands so had to put my mobile down.

Long story short it is my belief that I have two dead sockets as neither landline or cordless worked on them, so they are sending a techie on Wednesday morning. If it is, indeed, the sockets they will sort them without charge. Well, they installed them all in the first place.

If one or more telephones are dead then I will have to pay for the techie having to come out. Fine, I said. I am more than happy to do that. A dozen times I told him that and sure enough, two minutes later he asked me yet again.

And he wondered why I was sounding frustrated?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Oh good heavens Malka, I hadn't realised it was that difficult, I thought you had done something really clever yourself.

Still have my fingers crossed!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

14-01-2013, 04:00 PM
His first sarky comment was that I had too many telephone extensions, to which my response was that if people expected the phone to be answered after just four rings, then I need extensions everywhere. I also need more than one in each room otherwise I frequently cannot hear the phone ring, even on the loudest setting.

His second sarky comment was whether I knew that a telephone plug can only go in the ADSL filter where the jack shows a picture of a telephone, and that it must not be plugged into the one marked ADSL. The fact that they are different shapes maybe missed his notice?

Third one was to tell me to move the microphone away from my mouth as it was too loud for him. My response to that was that sorry and all that but I am deaf and if I do not hold the mobile close to my ear and pressed on my skull, I can not hear anything, so how about you moving the earpiece further from your ear?

I have double-checked it all again and there are definitely two dead sockets. So once those are replaced I am going to request another socket in each room in order for me to once again be able to use all the extensions I have been doing up until now.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
His first sarky comment was that I had too many telephone extensions, to which my response was that if people expected the phone to be answered after just four rings, then I need extensions everywhere. I also need more than one in each room otherwise I frequently cannot hear the phone ring, even on the loudest setting.

His second sarky comment was whether I knew that a telephone plug can only go in the ADSL filter where the jack shows a picture of a telephone, and that it must not be plugged into the one marked ADSL. The fact that they are different shapes maybe missed his notice?

Third one was to tell me to move the microphone away from my mouth as it was too loud for him. My response to that was that sorry and all that but I am deaf and if I do not hold the mobile close to my ear and pressed on my skull, I can not hear anything, so how about you moving the earpiece further from your ear?

I have double-checked it all again and there are definitely two dead sockets. So once those are replaced I am going to request another socket in each room in order for me to once again be able to use all the extensions I have been doing up until now.
That would have made me mad as hell - I don't think the muppets on the telephone help desk here are much better but luckily OH deals with them, she keeps telling me they are English speaking but I keep teling her that's not really the problem it's the 'I am a techie, I know everything' attitude which makes me reluctant to talk to them
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Slight change of subject, I had to ring the BT Vision team. They are based in India and I was truly impressed with their attitude and customer service.
I did nothing but hold the phone and Mohammad did all the rest quickly and efficiently. A free phone call too
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

14-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Of course it did not help matters that Pereg was trying to help me and being a bloomin' nuisance in the process - during which she managed to tip her water dish over [and one of her monkeys now has a very wet botty!]

I was none too taken with his patronising tone either. Still not feeling very well the last thing I needed was his insistence of me doing the same things over and over again and even though he said he could see a faulty socket when testing my line, he still wanted me to start switching the landline phones round to see which it was, only having checked again after he eventually wished me a good evening, it was obvious that there are two faulty sockets. Probably the second one gave up the ghost about the fifth time I unplugged and then plugged the phones in again.

Strange though that my internet, all sockets, all splitters, all landlines and all cordless phones were working perfectly well until I lost my internet connection...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >