Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2012, 02:00 AM

Laptops - whats the best?

I am thinking when the January Sales come round of buying a new Laptop. Im thinking along the lines of a new Acer or Toshiba

Can anyone recommend a good all round reliable laptop. Mostly for surfing, maintaining my websites & DTP.
AliStarfish
New Member!
Female 

19-12-2012, 07:58 AM
I have just gone back to a Toshiba laptop after a disaster of an Acer laptop. The Acer kept slowing down and needed rebuilt every few months.

Have a look at PC Pro or What PC online. They normally do good round ups with best PC in different price ranges.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2012, 09:31 AM
I've got a very expensive Toshiba and fairly cheap Acer and they both work fine. I prefer the Tosh because it's huge and all singing all dancing and the OH prefers the Acer because it does everything he wants and is pretty lightweight. The Tosh has been repaired twice, once the power connector came loose and had to be replaced and once because one of the Dogs trod on the screen, the Acer has never had any problems. Had them both a couple of years. Both came from John Lewis.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-12-2012, 10:03 AM
I had exactly the same problem with the power on the Toshiba, twice, and it is quite expensive to repair as when it first happened it was just weeks out of its guarantee, after it happened a second time I gave up, my friend had one as well and the same thing happened, so it is more than likely a general Toshiba fault. Youngest son bought me a very good one from Argos a couple of Christmas's ago, I know he said it wasn't an expensive one, but it has been marvellous, unfortunately one of MY dogs trod on the screen and it is going to be £250 for the repair, so back to a Samsung netbook at present and this Mac which I hate. I can't recommend the Samsung too highly and am going to try and get a full size one, it has never missed a beat really, running very slow at the moment because memory is full, I keep putting stuff on it because I feel 'safe' with it, so the poor thing is very overloaded, have got lots on an external drive nowadays as the Toshiba let me down so badly. I have also had the Sony VA10 and I adored that, but eventually it passed away and would love to afford another one. The cheap one from Argos though, I miss it like mad, it was quick, easy to use and never gave me any problems ever.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I have a samsung and cannot fault it. My brother had a toshiba and it had a power fault too. He has gone back to the "desktop now. Never having had an issue with the smsung I would stick with them if I get another. In fact my two adult nieces have samsungs too and no issues at all.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Another Samsung supporter here. I've only had it just under 12 months though. The battery life is brilliant - abt 5 hrs.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2012, 06:02 PM
I have a DELL XPS thanks to my kind and considerate son,
I have been delighted with it .
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Mac.
Blonderosie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Sony Vaio My first laptop , so nothing to compare it to .Like it though
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2012, 01:12 AM
I have a mac, I do use all the expenny bits for photo editing, they look pretty, are uncomplicated and I adore it.

Applecare is also fantastic, I decided to see what happened when i gave my laptop a drink.... ahem.... ie knocked a bottle of coke all over it, I didn't think they'd fix such a problem, ie me being cretinous, they did, for free.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >