Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluebell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2012, 12:06 PM

Hi.

I came here years ago when i first got my sweet little Lhasa Apso 'Bluebell'. She will be 5 years old in November and recently was unwell and i took her to the vets who asked whether or not she'd ever been mated due to her not being spayed and i did try about 3 years ago, but all she wanted to do was attack the stud. Anyway, the vet actually recommended that i let her have a litter so i found a lovely pedigree stud. Took her on day 10, nothing, went back on date 12 - and they tied... BUT i have a question now...

This mating occurred on the 26th September which would make her 3 weeks and 4 days. I am not noticing anything unusual apart from maybe she's sleeping a little more. She bled until about 5 days ago. I am worried that something is wrong.

Any advice would be grand.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Not going into the "ethics" of this one, but 3 weeks is too early to tell. There wont be any significant changes in looks or behaviour yet. Have her scanned after day 30.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Are you saying you've mated your bitch for the FIRST time at nearly 5 years of age? If so you're definitely asking for trouble, this is the age they should be retiring not starting!! She is too old for her first litter.
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Did your Vet actually recommend you breed a five year old female for the first time? What was his reasoning for doing this?

If she is bred you probably will not see any difference in her till at least four or five weeks along.