Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Garnie View Post
The sort of heath problem that could cause aggression might include anything causing pain or problems affecting the adrenal glands or brain, for instance a friend's young dog started to become aggressive when it developed a brain tumour. I really don't have sufficient health knowledge myself to be more specific - I just know that many behaviourists will only take referrals after the dog has been checked by a vet

Also, while not exactly a health issue here may be a possibility that some dogs could show increased aggression after neutering http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/ne...iour-got-do-it.

I do understand your concerns re a muzzle but wonder if you could get round it by hand-feeding through the muzzle? Along somewhat similar lines to 'surprise party' is Jean Donaldson's Open Bar (I think she calls it) technique.

I do think your best bet is to get help from a good behaviourist.
Intersting reading re neutering. Thanks for posting it.
Tiggertum
New Member!
Female 

20-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Done, my replies include

If you could meet Cesar Millan what would you ask him?

Who on earth told him he was a good trainer, he's nothing but a low life bully who thinks he's a hard man being nasty to dogs.

Why do you think that Cesar has been such a huge success TV ratings wise?

Obviously the people who watch him are thick idiots and shouldn't be allowed to keep any pet if they can't research good non violent training methods.

I can't stand this man and reading some of the horror stories on this forum about him (especially poor Shadow) I'd gladly and happily kick him in the doodahs!
Garnie
New Member!
Female 

20-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Darcy Boy View Post
Intersting reading re neutering. Thanks for posting it.
Sorry - must have had a serious senior moment - the post was meant to be in the terrible aggression thread in answer to whether the dog needed to see a vet

Duh!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Sorry - must have had a serious senior moment - the post was meant to be in the terrible aggression thread in answer to whether the dog needed to see a vet
I did wonder.....
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 11:25 AM

Duh!
I have a lot of those.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Tiggertum View Post
Done, my replies include

If you could meet Cesar Millan what would you ask him?

Who on earth told him he was a good trainer, he's nothing but a low life bully who thinks he's a hard man being nasty to dogs.

Why do you think that Cesar has been such a huge success TV ratings wise?

Obviously the people who watch him are thick idiots and shouldn't be allowed to keep any pet if they can't research good non violent training methods.

I can't stand this man and reading some of the horror stories on this forum about him (especially poor Shadow) I'd gladly and happily kick him in the doodahs!
Excuse me, I'm not a thick idiot, and I watch him. There is much I do not like, and there is some that I like about CM.

Just because you don't agree with his training methods, does not mean that those who do - either entirely, partly or in a very small way - are thick!!
Tiggertum
New Member!
Female 

21-10-2012, 01:34 PM
That's your opinon, mine is anyone who enjoys watching this man dominate dogs like he does has my above thoughts!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Done it gladly.
surreydogs
New Member!
Female 

21-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Personally, (new to forum) I do not agree with the way CM deals with aggressive dogs in terms of extinction, flooding etc. he does not look to change the way the dogs feels about the situation and just works with the dog in shut down mode.. However, providing an interruption or an aversive (Jean donaldson) you would give the dog an opportunity to praise the behaviour that is now vacant, i.e. you have stopped the unwanted and it give you the opportunity to reward the vacant and potentially new behaviour... This is a very complex area and the dogs need to learn by functional rewards (Grisha Stewart) so that you can provide the animal with an opportunity to be rewarded for the appropriate (what a human perceives as) behaviour. I like to think that anyone experiencing difficulty with their dog would consult a behaviourist on the matter.. Someone who does not sit in either camps and works with the proven science as opposed to the either end of spectrum trainers (such as those we are seeing on TV)... CM says exercise, discipline affection (some of this is true).. Most science behaviour works on ABC antecendent, behaviour reinforcement.. So, we need to be clear on a strategy.. Lets reward the good behaviour and give the dog the opportunity to display these, not by shutting them down, but by listening to them and reading them more appropriately..
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 05:14 PM
You won't find many on here that would disagree with that surreydogs. Welcome to the forum
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >