View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I very much doubt protein has much to do with it. Anyone who has ever fed Bakers will testify to the way it provokes hyperactivity and and general twitchiness - and there`s s*d all protein in it.
So much kibble contains sugar beet, sweetcorn and other sugars. Plus the addition of additives and colourings which also can make a dog hyperactive.
It`s like giving your child MacDonalds every day and wondering why they misbehave. No-one has ever accused a Happy Meal of being too high in protein....
MilliesWolfheat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2012, 06:27 PM
With the majority of dry dog food the bigest problem (apart from gluten) is the carbohydrate content.

providing the protein is a quality meat derived protien, the majority of the rest of the food is carbohydrates.

The calculation find out how much carb are in your dogs food is:-

start will 100% now subtract the protien-water/mosture(if not stated in dry food assume 8%)-ash-oil/fats-fibre the figuire that is left is the carbohydrates.

the only thing that messes this calculation up is the protien source.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Yeah, but what no one seems to know or maybe understand is that canines do not need carbs in the form of biscuit/grains whatever, because they manufacture their own carbs from animal fat. As their digestive system is not geared up to process this, it goes straight through, hence the cow pat poos you see, I see bright orange ones sometimes and wonder if their owners never worry about them..... Basically it is fillers sprayed to make it smell like it is nice and will be good to eat, the reality is something very different and if people knew what they were really feeding I think they would be horrified
MilliesWolfheat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Yeah, but what no one seems to know or maybe understand is that canines do not need carbs in the form of biscuit/grains whatever, because they manufacture their own carbs from animal fat. As their digestive system is not geared up to process this, it goes straight through, hence the cow pat poos you see, I see bright orange ones sometimes and wonder if their owners never worry about them..... Basically it is fillers sprayed to make it smell like it is nice and will be good to eat, the reality is something very different and if people knew what they were really feeding I think they would be horrified
exactly, but whats more as with humans "a moment on the lips, a life on the hips"
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Here is my 7 month old raw fed puppy

when I am at puppy classes and she is with other pups the difference is amazing, the others look quite stodgy compared with her.
MilliesWolfheat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2012, 07:21 PM
its obvious, food your dog good quality food and get a stunning dog !!
MilliesWolfheat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Good quality protien is the key
with the least amount of McDonalds carbs as possible
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-08-2012, 08:21 PM
No one has to feed rubbish, sometimes I think people are too lazy and can't be ar$ed to do anything but buy a sack of whatever is cheapest and serve a bowl of that up every day.
Honest, my dogs are fed on what the butcher throws away most of the time. Yes they get tinned tuna or sardines or pilchards sometimes, they do get tripe, rabbit and chicken mince that I buy, but that lasts us ages!!!! There is no need to ever add egg, chicken, tuna etc to kibble, you don't need the kibble in the first place!!!!
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Thinking of knocking the Kilper on the head after reading this.
I'll read the packaging again and work out the carb content.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
No one has to feed rubbish, sometimes I think people are too lazy and can't be ar$ed to do anything but buy a sack of whatever is cheapest and serve a bowl of that up every day.
I'm sure some do just buy whatever's cheapest and never give it a thought but I think a lot of those who buy things like Bakers, Pedigree etc really do think they're buying a quality food. After all, they're not exactly cheap foods and have good marketing.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »