Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 07:58 AM

Routine castration

Just for interest and since a couple of people (as well as myself) have shown interest in it elsewhere.

Can people do this poll please. No need to comment if you don't want to.

For me it is a no brainer to castrate rescue dogs. I know that so many people lie to rescues anyway about all sorts of things. For the rest IMO it should be a personal decision as should how you feed your dog, where it sleeps etc.

I feel the same way about spaying bitches but that doesn't seem to come up as an issue.

rune
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 08:14 AM
All mine are neutered and I will always do so I agree
dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2012, 08:18 AM
I am for neutering esp bitches,mine are neutered when fully mature
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2012, 08:36 AM
I would always spay a bitch once fully mature. My dogs have always remained intact as there have been no medical or behavioural issues to warrant it. However, I do understand the requirement from rescue centres for neuturing but it doesn't sit comfortably with me how young some of them are castrated.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 09:11 AM
My 2 boys are both entire.
Will not be castrated unless needed (behaviour or medical)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Sorry---should have been a poll for a head count but it won't let me do it as someone rang in between!

It wasn't for your personal dogs---more general I'll try and sort it again when I get time---sorry!

rune
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:04 AM
For rescues I totally agree that males and females should be neutered.

I think giving "joe public" the impression that entire dogs are a good idea is very silly, and tbh I think the small health risks associated with castrating an adult dog are far far outweighed by the current over population problem. Not to mention the behavioural aspects that come with an entire male - are most people really equipped to cope? I think not.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
For rescues I totally agree that males and females should be neutered.

I think giving "joe public" the impression that entire dogs are a good idea is very silly, and tbh I think the small health risks associated with castrating an adult dog are far far outweighed by the current over population problem. Not to mention the behavioural aspects that come with an entire male - are most people really equipped to cope? I think not.
I completely agree with this.

Although I only come across the "I don't believe in neutering male dogs" attitude on internet forums. In real life, 95% of pet dogs I know/meet are neutered.

My dog and bitches are all spayed and neutered as will all future dogs when they are the appropriate age. I see no reason to keep pet dogs entire.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:18 AM
I feel that rescues should definitely neuter dogs and spay bitches, ideally before they leave the rescue or, in some circumstances, have a contract with the new owner to say they agree to having their dog neutered within a certain time scale. However, I do not agree with neutering of very young pups and dogs - so that would also be a case where the rescue would need to have a contract drawn up with the new owners and keep in touch to ensure they undertake their part of the bargain.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:27 AM
For RESCUE dogs, then I expect several have a specific policy on this, which is included in their Scope of work etc.

It makes sense for RESCUE dogs to be routinely neutered.

I personally think that whether or not you neuter your own dogs is a personal decision and I will fight to retain that right.

As nobody is forcing me to a) get a rescue dog b) select from a rescue centre that practises that policy, then I feel my individual rights are thus protected.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »