Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2005, 05:58 PM

Bat Friend

We have noticed around 9.30 every evening a bat or bats (not sure if more than one) treats us to a flying display outside our lounge window! Having never seen a wild bat other than on television we feel very honoured. It is very small and flits about for around 10 minutes before disappearing. We live on the edge of a housing estate close to fields so pressumably it comes from the farms. Quite eerie the other night as a vampire film was just about to start when it disappeared spooky!! Was wondering if anyone else sees bats regularly, are they fairly common?
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 06:01 PM
We have bats!
We live in a fairly new housing development and a lot of us have odd shaped/sized gardens because an old hedge had to be maintained as it was a 'navigational aid' for the bats.
We see quite a lot.
I love it too - sitting out on a balmy evening (glass of wine helps) watching the bat(s)
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Ohh, bats are wonderful to watch!

I have a few living ihn my loft, and every evening, at dusk, they swoop around the garden!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2005, 06:06 PM
I have bats too (no I didn't say I am bats )
...they leave little poos on the window sill like mouse droppings
I used to know a woman who could tell what species of bat it was by the droppings !!
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
I used to know a woman who could tell what species of bat it was by the droppings !!
Some people have such amazing talent, don't they?
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 06:10 PM
We have bats too!!! They are fantastic to watch, we, Charlotte and myself, stand in the middle of the lawn and watch as they swoop within inches of us, it's FANTASTIC

Where we lived before, we used to grab fish and chips and go to sit across at the Lido (a large park with hundreds of bats), eat our supper and marvel at them as they grabbed a bit or two over the lake.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 06:14 PM
We have bats too. We used to have them around the house I grew up in and I loved sitting on the step watching them. Bit harder here cos of all the midges!! No one told me before I moved here that Northumberland is bad for midges!

We also have a badger regularly visiting us as well as a fox walking down the road in front of the house (we can smell it and in winter, can see the footings).

Helen
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Bats
We have bats, in the bottom of the garden i am so scared of bats, their faces frighten the hell out of me, itd that bad i wont even go in the garden when its dark, i cant stand the thought of being near them after what happened.....
We had not long moved into this house, and one day little me, being about 5 at the time was playing in the garden with all our doglets, we were plaing knock the child over, a game they loved so!!!!!
When i noticed our 6 month old cat playing with something in the bottom corner of the garden, i went to investigate, and saw what i thought was a very ugly bird, so me being me and what i did when the cats caught birds, i picked it up and took it up to the house, it was obviouslly just stunned and when we reached thelight of the lanterns by the back door, it came alive, and began flapping widly, and.............ooh it was horrible, and no i am so scared of bats
One of my sisters has a bat box in their garden, i cant stand the thought of them being near me, so i dont go into their garden.

Anyway Marean you are lucky to have bats, if u want to think of yourself lucky to have bats
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lu-1
Bats
We have bats, in the bottom of the garden i am so scared of bats, their faces frighten the hell out of me, itd that bad i wont even go in the garden when its dark, i cant stand the thought of being near them after what happened.....
We had not long moved into this house, and one day little me, being about 5 at the time was playing in the garden with all our doglets, we were plaing knock the child over, a game they loved so!!!!!
When i noticed our 6 month old cat playing with something in the bottom corner of the garden, i went to investigate, and saw what i thought was a very ugly bird, so me being me and what i did when the cats caught birds, i picked it up and took it up to the house, it was obviouslly just stunned and when we reached thelight of the lanterns by the back door, it came alive, and began flapping widly, and.............ooh it was horrible, and no i am so scared of bats
One of my sisters has a bat box in their garden, i cant stand the thought of them being near me, so i dont go into their garden.

Anyway Marean you are lucky to have bats, if u want to think of yourself lucky to have bats
Awwwww, that's such a shame. We took Charlotte to Chester Zoo when she was about 2 and were very hesitant to take her into the Bathouse because it's kept very dark. We did, and she loved it, she kept pointing up and saying "bats, look bats" , 'spose it could have gone the other way but luckily she loves anything naturefied
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Oh dear, can understand your fear. A friend of mine used to have a witch on a broomstick hanging from her bedroom ceiling when she was a child, one day a bat flew in through the window and as you can imagine left her terrified and assumed that the witch had attracted it in, consequently the witch was disposed of.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >