Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 02:50 PM

Help With Smelly Floorboards!!!

Right guys, thinking caps on please.

One of the lads at work has a bit of a problem. He and his partner have moved into their new home and are expecting a baby in 5 weeks. The new babys bedroom has been stripped and replastered BUT, when the carpet was removed the smell of stale dog urine knocked him over!

He cannot afford to replace the floorboards, the windows have been open for 8 weeks and the room repainted but the smell is still overpowering.

Can anyone think of something that can be used to clean and deodourise (sp) the floor before baby comes.

All suggestions will be gratefully received

Many thanks in advance, Ashlady x
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Unfortunately they are gonna have to scrub the floorboards with an Odor remover. You can get stuff from Pet Shops that should do the job, can't remember the name of it off hand but it's for cleaning and deodorising pet accidents.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-08-2005, 03:29 PM
I would have thought ample disinfectant would help... smell is bacteria which should be killed in order for the smell to go.

Be carfeful not to wet the floorboards too much tho as you don't want any rot to set into the joists....
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
Right guys, thinking caps on please.

One of the lads at work has a bit of a problem. He and his partner have moved into their new home and are expecting a baby in 5 weeks. The new babys bedroom has been stripped and replastered BUT, when the carpet was removed the smell of stale dog urine knocked him over!

He cannot afford to replace the floorboards, the windows have been open for 8 weeks and the room repainted but the smell is still overpowering.

Can anyone think of something that can be used to clean and deodourise (sp) the floor before baby comes.

All suggestions will be gratefully received

Many thanks in advance, Ashlady x

Hi Ashlady mate Has your friend tried a solution of Biological washing powder like Surf or Daz in hot water because I think that these are meant to remove the smells of dogs urine from furniture etc Might be worth a try mopping the floor boards with it
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 05:15 PM
or neat concentrate of zoflora or stardrops . wiped on with a cloth .. zoflora kills germs and bacteria . thats what i use on my laminate flooring and i also steam clean it
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 05:25 PM
My thanks to Staffy, Azz, Deefin and......oooh what's her name?.........oh yes - Foxy
He hasn't scrubbed with anything yet so will pass on the suggestions.

(I am glad nobody is saying I should give him a pay rise so he could buy that new floor )shhhhhh!!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Hi Ashlady, I've heard that biological powder does a fab job as well. Good luck with it, we're going to have a similar problem as our floor boards aren't sealed between the joints...don't fancy the smell that it will bring either.

Think Azz is totally right, the bacteria still exists so it needs to be killed off, and care with using the water because of rot and silverfish...they love a moist area to breed in and that won't be pretty.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 06:08 PM
OK - here I am with my 'off the wall' solution.

I've never had to use this but have heard about it from vets and I recommeneded it to Jeanette (Bellaluna) recently for her balcony floor, and she said it works.

So....................what is the secret? Tomato juice!
Scrub the juice into the floor, then wipe/scrub up the juice and the small comes with it.

Good luck - not nice to have a baby in a p***y room
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 06:10 PM
well, ive found biological washing powder just makes it smell worse and the pet smell remover stuff doesnt really work. dont know what to suggest.. maybe a disinfectant?

do u think sanding the floorboards might work?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
OK - here I am with my 'off the wall' solution.

I've never had to use this but have heard about it from vets and I recommeneded it to Jeanette (Bellaluna) recently for her balcony floor, and she said it works.

So....................what is the secret? Tomato juice!
Scrub the juice into the floor, then wipe/scrub up the juice and the small comes with it.

Good luck - not nice to have a baby in a p***y room
like tomato juice from a carton or like... proper juice from a tomato,lol.

and do u use like shampoo or sumin to get the juice up after if its a carpet? or can it not be used on carpets
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >