Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Shrap View Post
Just the blatant biased crap coming out the working line people's mouths.

Okay, how about this.

NO WORKING LINE GSD IS EVER ELBOW SCORED.
But that statement is not biased it is just untrue

I am not sure what particular blatant biased crap you are getting so incensed about?.
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
But that statement is not biased it is just untrue

I am not sure what particular blatant biased crap you are getting so incensed about?.
I know it is

Oh probably the part where WGSL dogs are all nervy wrecks that have no drive?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Who has stated this and where?
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Who has stated this and where?
It's more a collection of views from different people that everyone agreed with. Hang I'll see if I can quote them.
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Kizzy24 View Post
Show lines lack courage, strong nerve, drive and stamina all of which I think are needed to work a dog in trials especially in the higher stakes. You don't see many in trials as they are pretty recent in coming over here and many people in working trials have turned to collies or working labs due to the state of showlines today.
Most working line GSD's are in Schutzhund,Police or Security homes but if people in trials started to look at the working line ones I think they'd take over trials like it was years ago and out do the collie.
Originally Posted by Kizzy24 View Post
No I should of explained a bit better sorry.

There are very few showline dogs out there who have all the required traits I feel for working trials. There will be some out there obviously as there are working line ones that haven't got any work in them but it is an extreme risk to take when purchasing one especially a puppy from showline parentage.

It is always a risk with any puppy from a litter that it will have the desired qualities but the main and important difference is that the working line litter was purposely bred for work so these qualities in the dam and sire are taken into account by the breeder. Where as showline are bred for show ring and pet homes so no consideration is taken into account for working ability.

I have seen showlines with ball drive that is really high....I have seen good muscle tone and stamina in some too....I have also seen good strong confident defense drive in 1 maybe 2 if im generous but never have I seen all these traits in the one dog...I am still waiting and open to viewing such dogs as I do really like black and tans. The only ones I have seen with these traits have been walking cross legged and limping with such bad hip and elbow dysplasia but I see these more as back yard bred Shepherds not neccessarily true showline.

Im sure abroad in Germany and Hungary there are much better dogs out there that do well in showing and work but I'm yet to see it in this country.

My 4year old showline who I adore to bits out of all my dogs coz of her personality I would never breed from or label as half a working dog has a fair amount of prey drive and will do full bitesuit legs, arms, biceps, triceps you name it...but its all fun....she has no defense or courage so if a situation arose where she was unsure...I know what she would do
There is another thread I was reading as well that had more stuff in it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I am not sure why you are getting so over protective about the showline GSD,

If there were NO differences then the breed would not be split would it?

I do not take my working line male into the show ring expecting him to take top honours against show line dogs and neither do show line owners take their dogs into the Schutzhund arena expecting them to beat working line dogs.

Of course if you can tell me where any show line dog has BEATEN a working line dog in the UK Nationals, Bunddesieger or WUSV or FCI Worlds I would eat my words.

Show line dogs do not have the drive that working line dogs have this is a fact.

Just as it is a fact that working line GSD are rarely black and tan and very successful show line dogs are rarely sable or black!

It is not biased crap but informed opinion.
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 04:34 PM
I am not sure why you are getting so over protective about the showline GSD,

If there were NO differences then the breed would not be split would it?

I do not take my working line male into the show ring expecting him to take top honours against show line dogs and neither do show line owners take their dogs into the Schutzhund arena expecting them to beat working line dogs.

Of course if you can tell me where any show line dog has BEATEN a working line dog in the UK Nationals, Bunddesieger or WUSV or FCI Worlds I would eat my words.

Show line dogs do not have the drive that working line dogs have this is a fact.

Just as it is a fact that working line GSD are rarely black and tan and very successful show line dogs are rarely sable or black!

It is not biased crap but informed opinion.
Had it been said like that there would be no problem.

However I will in fact get defensive when we're told that ALL showline dogs are completely absent of drive, courage etc.
Kizzy24
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2011, 02:22 PM
So would you like to maybe mention a showline dog/bitch that is very agile, fit, highly driven but stable in the head (this means not whinging and jumping all over people when greeted...this is a sign of nerve) and strong confident defense with courage of a lion? If so are there any videos or somewhere I could go and view the dog as I am keen to see them?
Having both showlines and working line shepherds right at this moment in time (wont be getting another showline though) I am more than entitled to an opinion seen as though I can compare both plus having viewed a lot of both being trained for schutzhund, working trials and personal protection.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Which dogs have you seen being trained for Working Trials as a matter of interest. the fact is that there a lot of show line GSD who have gained TDex
Kizzy24
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Although TD ex is a very difficult qualification to gain...it merely only tests the dog on tracking/scent work and a small bit of agility. The rest such as send away retrieve etc is purely down to the skill of the trainer. Also even some dogs that are competing very high in PD stakes lack nerve and courage but have been cleverly trained to deal with the tests using distraction methods....i spent many a cold long days watching dog after dog be worked through the PD exercises having to be taught how to overcome small stressors etc. It would be unfair of me to name people and their dogs but roughly about 9 showlines for this in particular sport
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »