Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I agree, as much as you don't want to let him go with it!! My OH has mentioned a few times that he's thinking of getting rid of the VX - I'm Woohoooing inside but I just say it's up to honey, it's your car !!!

When the oportunity arises I add an 'well we could've gone in the VX but . . . . it's raining / it'll cost too much in fuel, can't fit everyone in etc etc and these little hints are slowly being processed in his head

It's working though, he's slowly coming round to the idea - and he will get rid of it eventually but on his own terms then I can't ever be made to feel guilty for 'making' him do it! Not that I think he'd ever say that but it's always a better idea of it comes from him obviously

He even mentioned trading it in with his 'normal' car the other day maybe for something a bit more practical but still a bit 'flashy' he's liking the Celica, BMW M3 etc at mo and tbh we do need a decent car for taking kids out, going places as my car's a Berlingo - or should I say a kennel on wheels

It won't be long and I'll have my way but he'll think it's his idea and be happy
I suppose so but I just have this feeling that I'll just want to get a sledgehammer to it if it ever appears on our driveway.. in fact I think I even dreamt about it last night..

Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
The way we are in this house is bills first, pleasures second. He doesn't stop me buying stuff, I don't stop him.
Thing is I rarely buy anything as I prefer to have my animals & buy stuff for them instead.
If I do see something that I want he will often surprise me by buying it without me knowing, as he knows I keep every penny for the animals. Obviously thats changed now as am not working so he is footing the bills for more or less everything. But thats how it works in a relationship, give & take xx
See you and me are alike all the money I get goes to the dogs.. literally because I don't need it and when I start earning, I'll be paying my bit towards the rent/bills and then then half on food shopping and then the dogs.. it's just the finding a job bit I'm struggling with..
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't see where you say how much you love him and what a great relationship you have! It's all "me, me me".

Poor lad - he's only 25. Why shouldn't he have some fun - doesn't sound like he gets very much in his life.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
I don't see where you say how much you love him and what a great relationship you have! It's all "me, me me".

Poor lad - he's only 25. Why shouldn't he have some fun - doesn't sound like he gets very much in his life.
Excuse you! He has gotten everything he ever wanted as a child and growing up. If you read it, it says HE can't afford it. Anything about me is the fact that I think HE could spend it more sensibly and that I am not agreeing with his decision or the cliché he used in order to back this idea of his up. I have said I would agree to it in a a couple years time or maybe even next year, when HE can afford it without having to borrow money, but he's not used to having to wait for something.

Karly - I think I will count up how much it'll cost against his wage etc.. thank you for that idea
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2011, 11:49 AM
The only comment I will make is that I am glad I am old and not in a relationship, and that all the worries of my youth are long behind me. In any case it has all been said by others on this thread.

But I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do / whatever happens.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Karly - I think I will count up how much it'll cost against his wage etc.. thank you for that idea
The MSE has fields for earnings, outgoings etc. and then takes one off the other and shows how much you have leftover (or don't have, if you spend more than you earn!)

Remember stuff like
Insurance
Tax
MOT
Petrol
Service
Tyres
Breakdown cover
Then any repairs needed

My car costs about £150 a month to run and that's a fairly economical car with a half decent tax cost, used mainly for short trips to work and with insurance half what your OH has said he'd pay.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Excuse you! He has gotten everything he ever wanted as a child and growing up. If you read it, it says HE can't afford it. Anything about me is the fact that I think HE could spend it more sensibly and that I am not agreeing with his decision or the cliché he used in order to back this idea of his up. I have said I would agree to it in a a couple years time or maybe even next year, when HE can afford it without having to borrow money, but he's not used to having to wait for something.
You're not his keeper. You're his partner but I doubt you will be for long.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
The only comment I will make is that I am glad I am old and not in a relationship, and that all the worries of my youth are long behind me. In any case it has all been said by others on this thread.

But I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do / whatever happens.
Thanks Malka.. I wish I wasn't in this position..

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
The MSE has fields for earnings, outgoings etc. and then takes one off the other and shows how much you have leftover (or don't have, if you spend more than you earn!)

Remember stuff like
Insurance
Tax
MOT
Petrol
Service
Tyres
Breakdown cover
Then any repairs needed

My car costs about £150 a month to run and that's a fairly economical car with a half decent tax cost, used mainly for short trips to work and with insurance half what your OH has said he'd pay.
Haven't used the MSE but done it all on paper and asked his Dad about certain costs..

I've worked it out for the household costs, the idea of this car and it comes roughly to the sum £8,300 a year (leaving out MOT and servicing), but his Dad has said that the Scenic goes if he gets this car, so I've added the costs of the scenic to the grand sum - again leaving out the MOT and servicing as they vary and that comes to the cost of £13,620. His year wage to start off with is something like £14,322 (In fact I think thats right) so that would leave him with £702 a year spare.. which is great, he can afford both cars, and the household (until I get on my feet with a job then I will be able to pay half of the household costs) Then I thought about if his parents have a problem or anything should happen then we'd get the gas bill (including the hire of the gas tank) the electric, Internet and phone and the house insurance.. with all 3 - household costs including bills + rent (only pay rent atm) this idea of his and the scenic - we can't afford it. Then there is the £6000 he'll owe his brother to pay back for the car and the start up insurance..

I'm going to write all this up and let him decide for himself - but I've just being going over it with his Dad and he's agreed with me and then added that if anything should happen to him and his wife - we are the carers of OH's autistic brother which'll add more costs on..

Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
You're not his keeper. You're his partner but I doubt you will be for long.
Wow - how lovely of you...

He asked my opinion and as his partner - my opinion was that he can't afford it..
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 12:38 PM
I would present realistic costs to him or he may dismiss your argument entirely - the Scenic being sold/scrapped isn't going to cost him any money. Add the MOT on as he will need a valid MOT to drive the car, though service is optional. Find out how long the brother expects the loan of money to stretch over and what he expects to be paid each month (whether he wants interest or not - bearing in mind that money would be earning him interest in a bank) and add this figure onto the monthly running costs.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I would present realistic costs to him or he may dismiss your argument entirely - the Scenic being sold/scrapped isn't going to cost him any money. Add the MOT on as he will need a valid MOT to drive the car, though service is optional. Find out how long the brother expects the loan of money to stretch over and what he expects to be paid each month (whether he wants interest or not - bearing in mind that money would be earning him interest in a bank) and add this figure onto the monthly running costs.
Thanks I'll try get exact costs..
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm with Krlyr, write everything down so that you can see exactly what you're spending and what you have left. I had to do this when trying to get my hubby to see sense over our financial situation. Our regular household bills plus the repayments on loans and credit cards he took out before we met were actually more than what we had coming in. Me simply telling him that didn't work, I had to sit down with him and go through every single thing we were paying for and actually let him see for himself that I was making a valid point.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »