View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time of it. It's dreadful when your family won't accept your OH.
I had this problem with Graham and my parents for 2 years. he was friends with my brother (who I dislike immensely!) and my bro was stealing from Graham. I knew this to be true and my parents found out and hit the roof with me, choosing Graham over my bro. I didn't talk to them for 2 years. When I did eventually talk to them, Graham wasn't welcome in the family home. Over a couple years, their feelings changed as they could see how happy he made me. Now my Dad, Mum and him are best friends!!
If I was you, I would stick with your other half if he makes you happy. Your brother sounds like he needs to grow up to be honest! (Sorry!).
Just live your life. Continue to see your mum, and leave your bro to it. It's his loss. He's lost his mate and his sister through his silly behaviour.
I really hope things work out for you hun. Big hugs xxxx
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 02:44 PM
You need to concentrate on you and your OH, otherwise you will both end up arguing about it.

Your brother should be pleased that you are with a bloke who he knows will look after you. He knows him, after all, he was his friend, and it was him who introduced you both.

Its not as if you have committed an offence.

Look after yourselves and take care of each other. Life is hard enough at the moment.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 05:22 PM
It doesn't matter if you don't know whether your OH is "the one"... you can still rent a place together without having to think about whether to marry him! If you love him "now" then that's all that matters - OK, so you have to think a bit ahead, but unless he is leaving wedding mags open for you, don't panic!

And as for your brother.... my feelings are that he could go swivel - he is obviously very childish - thinking that because you and his friend are going out, that he has lost a friend. Don't let his childishness affect you this way!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks all Some great advice and it really helped just to let me spill it all out.

Things were better today. Mum had calmed down a lot and I managed to discuss it with her without her getting upset. She admitted that she over reacted to the comment yesterday, said she doesn't hate my OH and he is welcome in the house. OH text my brother and he replied and they've even arranged to meet up for a beer....so now I'm totally confused My brother even said that he wished he'd broken his arm "doing something manly like rugby, not netball", so once mum knew my brother has seen the funny side to it too, she seemed happier. She said "she's trying hard" to sort it out, I told her not to try. I said that my brother had replied to both of our texts asking if he was ok and that my brother was coming around slowly in his own time, and the best thing she could do was let things go at their own pace and not put herself in the middle. She agreed. So I dunno, calm seems to have been restored for now!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There comes a point in your life when you have to cut the umbilical cord and become an adult to all the people who know you as a child. I think you`ve reached that point now.
You have your own life. Other people have theirs.
Stop trying to `make everything better`, It`s not your job and tbh you`re just perpetuating their childish behaviour.
Stay out of it. If they want to squabble like infants, let them - but don`t join in. And don`t support it.
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Claire beat me to it.....

I completely agree.

Please hon, get your own life with your lovely OH and leave those remaining to squabble amongst themselves.

You are not responsible for them.....

x0x
Completely agree with both. Not got much more to add really! I mean, it's not as if he can't be your OH and your brothers friend! If anything, your brother should be happy for you!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2