View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-10-2011, 03:02 PM
My sis in law was talking about some hospital diet her friend was doing , she does it 3 days loses loads then normal diet diet for 10 days then back to the hospital diet for 3 days ..
Sounds horrible to me :O
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
I have to give myself one day a week or I end up weighing myself like every day!

I need to work out more exercise for me too, as Alfie can't walk too far and gets tired really easily so can't take him out for miles every day lol.

Writing down/using MFP has been the best thing I have started, as long as you write down EVERYTHING. I find myself going "I don't want to eat that as I don't want it on my list" But I have only been doing it a week so I will tell you again in a few weeks
Thanks, I think your right, I will need to make the effort to keep track and hopefully that in itself will help with motivation a bit too. BTW whats the difference between logging into the site on your phone online and using the App?
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Avoid faddy diets. Make sure whatever route you take, you are happy to carry on after target weight is reached otherwise you'll just pile it all back on again as you start to relax.

If you let diet rule your life, you'll fail. Better to work out the value of ordinary food and plan around those - cheaper and easier to maintain once you get to where you want to be.
Thanks. Yep I think the problem is I really like the fatty stuff! I'm not a massive fan of toast, cereal etc in the morning so I will try to maybe make 'variations' of what I have now but a bit healthier.

It's crazy really, I make sure my dog has a healthy diet and exercise plan and not myself Think that has to change, probably what I need to help with stress levels a bit just now too!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 03:21 PM
not sure about that hospital diet Murf

struggling to get the app, maybe stick to a notebook?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Thanks. Yep I think the problem is I really like the fatty stuff! I'm not a massive fan of toast, cereal etc in the morning so I will try to maybe make 'variations' of what I have now but a bit healthier.

It's crazy really, I make sure my dog has a healthy diet and exercise plan and not myself Think that has to change, probably what I need to help with stress levels a bit just now too!
I used to love everything fried - now, I find fried food tastes a bit yucky and leaves a horrid after-taste . It really is what you get used to. Now we have oven chips, grilled or oven baked meats etc. Also substituted margarine with the Flora stuff and the zero calorie sugar substitute for putting on things like strawberries.

I struggled more than hubby in finding healthy foods because I really can't stomach veg (apart from peas and carrots ) and detest salad.

To make sure that I didn't miss out totally on the stuff I love, I had a bag of low fat crisps and a low fat chocolate mousse every day (can't miss me crisps and chocolate fix )

I couldn't exercise when losing weight because at the time I was recovering from a broken ankle with damaged tendons so mobility was severely limited.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 04:15 PM
It can be done I still eat burgers, full fat cheese, full fat milk and basically make a lot of dieters gasp in absolute horror I just make sure they fit into my calorie allowance.

One of my favourite meals lately is stir fry. 100g chicken breast cut into small pieces, 100g rice (before cooked), 100g beansprouts, some peas and some peppers and I get a HUGE plateful of food for between 400 and 500 calories depending on what else I put in and in what quantity. It's healthy but it doesn't feel healthy

Weigh and measure EVERYTHING. Portion size is a huge problem for most people because we're so used to oversized portions.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post

Weigh and measure EVERYTHING. Portion size is a huge problem for most people because we're so used to oversized portions.
I have just ordered a set of measuring cups and will soon be buying a set of mini digital scales too for this very reason!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I used to love everything fried - now, I find fried food tastes a bit yucky and leaves a horrid after-taste . It really is what you get used to. Now we have oven chips, grilled or oven baked meats etc. Also substituted margarine with the Flora stuff and the zero calorie sugar substitute for putting on things like strawberries.

I struggled more than hubby in finding healthy foods because I really can't stomach veg (apart from peas and carrots ) and detest salad.

To make sure that I didn't miss out totally on the stuff I love, I had a bag of low fat crisps and a low fat chocolate mousse every day (can't miss me crisps and chocolate fix )

I couldn't exercise when losing weight because at the time I was recovering from a broken ankle with damaged tendons so mobility was severely limited.
Wow, you've done so well and to think your mobility was limited too

I have noticed that recently I am always going for the less nutrition, more fat foods and my skin is the worst its ever been in my life! So hopefully, there will be a difference there too! I think you must be right about what you get used to, because thinking back an automatic meal for me would have been a baked potato and cottage cheese or maybe some pasta with canned tomatoes and chilli, as I say, more recently its been, takeaway and fast food!!
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
It can be done I still eat burgers, full fat cheese, full fat milk and basically make a lot of dieters gasp in absolute horror lol I just make sure they fit into my calorie allowance. yep on the myfitnesspal site it has a BMR calculator which then shows an amount of cals, I take it thats my daily calorie allowance?

One of my favourite meals lately is stir fry. 100g chicken breast cut into small pieces, 100g rice (before cooked), 100g beansprouts, some peas and some peppers and I get a HUGE plateful of food for between 400 and 500 calories depending on what else I put in and in what quantity. It's healthy but it doesn't feel healthy

haha yeh, I remember I used to eat stuff like stir fry
The stir-fry is a great idea as it sounds like a good hearty meal still! Thats defo one for me to bear in mind as its also practical for me (in future).

Right now it is hard as I dont have the use of a cooker, thats what makes it so daunting I think, having to rely on either foods that dont need cooking or a microwave. But I still think now is the time to start. I just find it hard to think what I can have that is; 1) healthy, or at least not loaded with calories. 2) something I can make at home.

Just remembered I have a George Foreman though

Thanks to this thread I just done a 25 min step workout including warm up and cooldown, but still, I'm chuffed I made a start. So thanks guys!

EDIT;
I have just ordered a set of measuring cups and will soon be buying a set of mini digital scales too for this very reason!
I got measuring cups for £1. (guess where from lol) I do think this is something else I will need to watch - I never seem to fill up like other people, I can just eat and eat and eat!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:23 PM
I would like to lose a stone, i had a hysterectomy op back in May and i have definitely put weight on since then, only a bit but enough to make my clothes feel uncomfortable.

I have cut out all carbs and i am eating lots of protien and veg and fruit, only been doing it a few days so don't think i've lost anything yet. I also did it because i feel knackered the whole time, i was eating lots of crap to be honest so i thought i'd better get some of the good stuff down me and see if it improves. I take iron tabs as well because i'm inclined to be anaemic which doesn't help either.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I would like to lose a stone, i had a hysterectomy op back in May and i have definitely put weight on since then, only a bit but enough to make my clothes feel uncomfortable.

I have cut out all carbs and i am eating lots of protien and veg and fruit, only been doing it a few days so don't think i've lost anything yet. I also did it because i feel knackered the whole time, i was eating lots of crap to be honest so i thought i'd better get some of the good stuff down me and see if it improves. I take iron tabs as well because i'm inclined to be anaemic which doesn't help either.
Me too
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post

I have cut out all carbs and i am eating lots of protien and veg and fruit, only been doing it a few days so don't think i've lost anything yet. I also did it because i feel knackered the whole time, i was eating lots of crap to be honest so i thought i'd better get some of the good stuff down me and see if it improves.
Yeah that's how I was too!

I do think this is something else I will need to watch - I never seem to fill up like other people, I can just eat and eat and eat!
This was like me, I would eat loads and still be hungry, now I am eating WAY less and nothing like as hungry... maybe due to the food I am eating now being much better for me!

I heard hunger was linked to your body wanting more of a certain mineral/vitamin, by eating bad food you aren't giving yourself this so you then still seem hungry, but in eating something good for you, full of good minerals and stuff, you then don't feel the need to eat more, and that seems to be how it works! (Hope that makes sense lol)
Page 7 of 29 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »