Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 09:26 AM

Army

Hay
My OH is wanting to go into the army work is scarce if the ground at the moment as with everyone, and this is something he has always wanted to do. How do you cope? I don't want him to go as I think he will miss out on too m j with Ciarán (our 10 week old son). plus on top of that I couldn't cope with three dogs and Uni and have been put in the situation where we would have to regime one if the dogs this is a pet hate if mine. For me a dog is part of the family but I really can't cope. We have two homes ready for him both friends of ours.

But I don't no how I could cope still. I no if I tell him not to go then he wouldn't but is that not just me being selfish? Coz he has made sacrifices for me to go to Uni.

ATD x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 09:32 AM
NEVER EVER try to stop people from pursuing their dreams.

Nobody knows how they will cope with anything until they start.

I am not sure what you mean about regime the dogs do you mean give one up?

Why will giving up ONE of the three dogs make it easier to cope on your own?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Work is scarce on the ground with the Army too, depending on what your OH wants to do. They have made a lot of cutbacks recently and there are more to come.

I have a friend who has been waiting for his place in the Navy Engineers (he has passed all tests, interviews, etc., and been accepted) for 18 months now. His expected start date is Spring next year -- over two years since starting the application progress.

Another guy I know is waiting on a place in the Army Regulars. It has been a 12 month process for him so far and he still has not completed all the necessary tests and interviews.

I'm not trying to put your or him off, but just saying that there could be a long wait depending on his area of interest.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Labradork is right, I have a friend of a friend who still has another year before he starts - he has already been approved for quite a long length of time too, if I remember correctly. With this in mind, would your OH still want to go into the army if he knew it could take him up to two years before he actually starts working for them? Is it actually his dream and his passion to join the army or is this just a solution to not being able to find a job?

If it's just a solution for him and not actually a dream of his, I would ask him not to go. Realistically, in the length of time it could potentially take your OH to get placed he will probably be able to find work, even if it's not something that he wants to be doing long term.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Sorry I meant rehome predictive text and I can't edit on my phone.

One dog less would mean I can walk two dogs together instead of two trip. Also the staffy, bandit, is OH dog and doesn't listen to me which is fine when OH is around.

He has tried to go in before but was deferred due to teeth problems Which he has since sorted/ sorting. So I no it is something he has alreay wanted he wants to go in to dog handling or foot soldier which crop up as the ones that are wanted.

ATD x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Sorry I meant rehome predictive text and I can't edit on my phone.

One dog less would mean I can walk two dogs together instead of two trip. Also the staffy, bandit, is OH dog and doesn't listen to me which is fine when OH is around.

He has tried to go in before but was deferred due to teeth problems Which he has since sorted/ sorting. So I no it is something he has alreay wanted he wants to go in to dog handling or foot soldier which crop up as the ones that are wanted.

ATD x
I would not go making plans or thinking about rehoming dogs just yet. Although I would have to question the ethics of someone wanting to be a professional dog handler getting rid of his own dog because adequate arrangements could not be made.

He needs to go to his local Army Careers office really to get an idea of wait times and what is on offer. Bearing in mind that they are decreasing the number of regular soldiers over the coming years and increasing the number of TA soldiers quite considerably.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 11:14 AM
He would be rehoming him not just because of wanting to go into the army he has become increaslingly agressvive with my other two dogs as well.also he would be going to people who we know.that is the only way he would be rehomed.
TA is also an option.
ATD x
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 11:51 AM
My Son is a Serving Para. Has been in the Army now for 10 years. Has served in Iraq & was injured in a bomb blast. Has just finished a tour of Afghan.

He has done lots of courses, (he is also a ski instructor), travelled everywhere.

My daughter in law is now expecting their 1st child any day now. He would be out of the Army in a flash!! Really, really does not want to do another spell of Active Service.

He would be out of the Army if there were any jobs available on Civvy Street. Apparently, the Prison Service will be accepting applicants at the beginning of next year which he is extremely interested in.

Fingers Crossed x
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Army rules are a maximum of 2 dogs if you're in army quarters. Whether they'd give permission for 3 if you owned 3 when joining up I don't know.

I'm not really sure what there is to "cope" with most of the time? It's not like soldiers are away from their families all the time or in danger on a daily basis, my hubby has been to Iraq twice in the 10 years he's been in and will possibly go to Afghanistan in the next 3 years. He's been on training courses and duties which take him away overnight or for a few weeks and is off skydiving next year but for the most part he's home with me every night.

And yeah, they're laying off something like 5,000 soldiers over the next 3 years so joining up isn't guaranteed work now.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Army rules are a maximum of 2 dogs if you're in army quarters. Whether they'd give permission for 3 if you owned 3 when joining up I don't know.

I'm not really sure what there is to "cope" with most of the time? It's not like soldiers are away from their families all the time or in danger on a daily basis, my hubby has been to Iraq twice in the 10 years he's been in and will possibly go to Afghanistan in the next 3 years. He's been on training courses and duties which take him away overnight or for a few weeks and is off skydiving next year but for the most part he's home with me every night.

And yeah, they're laying off something like 5,000 soldiers over the next 3 years so joining up isn't guaranteed work now.
hi,
didnt know about the pets in army quarters, but we arent married so couldnt get that anyway.
I have to stay here and finish my nursing so wouldnt be with him
ATD x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >